IGNORED

Refereeing

Clutton Caveman

Although the Euros have been a bit strange with some teams like us basically playing at home and others travelling all over the place but one really positive thing shines out for me. This is the quality of refereeing.

Finally players are being allowed to tackle and when players fall over from a puff of wind they are ignored.

It is amazing how quickly the players have realised that the Refs have wised up and have cut out a lot of the awful play acting as it is getting them nowhere.

I just hope this approach is replicated in all levels of football in England. 

4 minutes ago, Clutton Caveman said:

Although the Euros have been a bit strange with some teams like us basically playing at home and others travelling all over the place but one really positive thing shines out for me. This is the quality of refereeing.

Finally players are being allowed to tackle and when players fall over from a puff of wind they are ignored.

It is amazing how quickly the players have realised that the Refs have wised up and have cut out a lot of the awful play acting as it is getting them nowhere.

I just hope this approach is replicated in all levels of football in England. 

Absolutely no chance.

The refereeing in this country is of a very low standard and I can't see that changing whilst we have old blokes in blazers running the game.

Its the same with VAR.

It is very noticeable that the VAR process in the Euros is a lot quicker and less intrusive than in England - except when the VAR officials are English. It seems to me that Europe has embraced the VAR intentions in the spirit for which it was introduced, whilst the English officials are using it for just about everything and taking an age to make a decision. Will they learn from the experiences here ? Will they ****.

1 hour ago, bcfc01 said:

Absolutely no chance.

The refereeing in this country is of a very low standard and I can't see that changing whilst we have old blokes in blazers running the game.

Its the same with VAR.

It is very noticeable that the VAR process in the Euros is a lot quicker and less intrusive than in England - except when the VAR officials are English. It seems to me that Europe has embraced the VAR intentions in the spirit for which it was introduced, whilst the English officials are using it for just about everything and taking an age to make a decision. Will they learn from the experiences here ? Will they ****.

Agree with that. The Euro's have shown that VAR, applied properly, i.e. to ONLY OVERTURN A CLEAR AND OBVIOUS ERROR NOTHING ELSE, can benefit the game. The problem seems to be that our officials and/or rule makers are too thick to understand what clear and obvious error means and their definition instead seems to be "what would I have given?"......................it stands out like a beacon that only English officials at the Euro's have failed to get to grips with VAR.

I totally agree that referees have been ignoring the rolling around injured more and that VAR has been used sparingly, and this has been great.

There is still the problem with offsides though.

I hate the fact that linos have been told to let play go on, even if they think the guy is offside, and then only flag after a break in play.

Its then taking ages to review these (even longer than in the Prem) and the communication and transparency of them has been poor (especially for those in the stadium).

I would prefer linos to flag people offside to the best of their ability. If a goal is scored, then VAR should apply a margin of error, and only override this decision if the offside is clear (eg more than 1 inch!).

I also like the idea of using the toe line to measure offsides

Hopefully this will speed up the decisions.

4 minutes ago, HitchinRed said:

I totally agree that referees have been ignoring the rolling around injured more and that VAR has been used sparingly, and this has been great.

There is still the problem with offsides though.

I hate the fact that linos have been told to let play go on, even if they think the guy is offside, and then only flag after a break in play.

Its then taking ages to review these (even longer than in the Prem) and the communication and transparency of them has been poor (especially for those in the stadium).

I would prefer linos to flag people offside to the best of their ability. If a goal is scored, then VAR should apply a margin of error, and only override this decision if the offside is clear (eg more than 1 inch!).

I also like the idea of using the toe line to measure offsides

Hopefully this will speed up the decisions.

The problem is that if linos flag immediately, players may tend to stop playing and then VAR changes the decision and then chaos ensues. I think thats why linos have been told to wait before flagging.

59 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

The problem is that if linos flag immediately, players may tend to stop playing and then VAR changes the decision and then chaos ensues. I think thats why linos have been told to wait before flagging.

I agree, but if a greater margin of error is needed for VAR to override, this should happen less often.

Archived