IGNORED

Chris Garland Write Up

RedRoss

31 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

I have great memories of watching Chris in my youth - a naturally gifted footballer and an all-round top bloke.

Me too JB.

I was devastated when I learned that he had been sold to Chelsea - £100k was a big fee back then.

1 hour ago, downendcity said:

Me too JB.

I was devastated when I learned that he had been sold to Chelsea - £100k was a big fee back then.

And me!

I’m sure we’d just beaten Cardiff and top of the table (early season though!) only to read the Evening Post to see Chris had been sold!

Interesting piece. Thanks for posting, RedRoss. Garland was the golden boy in every sense when I started going. 

Front page of the EP when he left at a time when that was one of the few places to get City news. So glad he came back to save us in 77. Home is where the heart is. 

My first football hero, was just coming through when I started taking an interest and only saw about 18 months of him before he left for Chelsea. Had to go to pay for the Dolman stand. I started watching when Chelsea were on TV and the same when he left them. for Leicester. He deserves legend status , played for us when we were trying to stay in the old first division, and scored the goals that did it. One of the Ashton 8 and after that he played on a per game basis  in Div 4. Ticks all the boxes for Legend in my book 

Here's his Flashback for the fans.

Was my first City hero. Great player and great man. I used to go to the reserve games in the late 60's and remember sitting in the old grandstand watching a reserve game. I noticed Chris was at the game too watching with his then fiance. I think I ruined their day when I moved to sit next to him and spent the whole game just staring at him. But I was in awe!

Archived