IGNORED

Rob Atkinson video clips

JonDolman

Looks like he leaves the defence a little exposed going forward when perhaps he shouldn't. 

Fully expect him to get caught out on one of his runs early in his City career, we shall concede, fans will get on his back, he will be written off as another failed league one signing and will end up going to Peterborough the following season where he will thrive.

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Berkshire Red said:

Looks like he leaves the defence a little exposed going forward when perhaps he shouldn't. 

Fully expect him to get caught out on one of his runs early in his City career, we shall concede, fans will get on his back, he will be written off as another failed league one signing and will end up going to Peterborough the following season where he will thrive.

When he breaks forward Branagan covers him. But yeah he will have to adapt to the improved standard of the opposition at this level.

I think there's a lot he will have to work on, but he has all the talent needed to go far imo

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

When he breaks forward Branagan covers him. But yeah he will have to adapt to the improved standard of the opposition at this level.

I think there's a lot he will have to work on, but he has all the talent needed to go far imo

Yes, a typical YouTube compilation, and does show him off very well.  He’s got that ability to not be rushed.  Defensively he has areas too improve, as I mentioned in another post, but no defender at this level is perfect.

Looking forward to watching him, how he adapts the parts of his game to deal with smarter Champ opponents.

• Like 3

Oh er. 

Hopefully, Big Nige will tell him not to stray beyond the half way line for a while, apart from dead ball situations.

Championship has a tendency to slaughter teams when out-of-position centre backs lose the ball. 

Reminds me a bit of Dan Burn at Brighton looking at those clips, doesn't seem to be moving that fast but just glides past players... I'm not sure we'll be seeing him at Left  Wing Back anytime soon though!

The point regarding leaving the back 4 vulnerable is an interesting one, clearly something that Oxford have worked on with the Midfield covering when he goes forward. Given the shambles we had last year I wouldn't have trusted any of our midfield  to do that, however now we have James, King and hopefully a fit Williams there's enough experience there to organise. 

I also tthink this could take some pressure of Kalas, people have said he needs a ball winning centre back next to him but arguably his best football for us was with with Webster. (Who was obviously a different level to anything we've had for a long time!) Last year Kalas definitely tried bringing the ball out more and having an impact but usually crossed the halfway line and panicked. Hopefully this signing allows him to become that ball winning Centre Back and takes some pressure off. He's got an amazing leap on him and will get in the way of anything, Kalas attacking the ball with Atkinson weeping up could be a very tidy partnership for the second half of the season

I think he will be raw and may be one we need to patient with but looks like he could be a fantastic player for us. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

Thats must have taken some time to have edited all those clips.

Scouting systems like Wyscout do it all for you.  They package up clips into groups like:

• best actions
  • goals
  • passing 
  • dialogue (linking in English) with midfield
  • aerial duels
  • defensive positioning

so it’s all done for you.

93B74072-E828-47EF-912E-DF8EECF34002.thumb.jpeg.a6470f60b5d0adb84739ff5d2579db3f.jpeg

Having said that, I think someone has done some editing on the one JD has shared.  I’ve got a good few bits of video on the likes of Atkinson, Bayo, Pigott, etc, where in the case of the strikers each goal clip is 45-50 seconds long, showing several replays….which is a bit tedious.  I’m gonna get my son (he loves his emedia GCSE stuff - I haven’t got the time or patience) to edit out the stuff I don’t want.  I’ve got 200 clips of Pigott’s link-up play. That is nicely packaged up because of no replays.

1 hour ago, hinsleburg said:

Reminds me a bit of Dan Burn at Brighton looking at those clips, doesn't seem to be moving that fast but just glides past players... I'm not sure we'll be seeing him at Left  Wing Back anytime soon though!

The point regarding leaving the back 4 vulnerable is an interesting one, clearly something that Oxford have worked on with the Midfield covering when he goes forward. Given the shambles we had last year I wouldn't have trusted any of our midfield  to do that, however now we have James, King and hopefully a fit Williams there's enough experience there to organise. 

I also tthink this could take some pressure of Kalas, people have said he needs a ball winning centre back next to him but arguably his best football for us was with with Webster. (Who was obviously a different level to anything we've had for a long time!) Last year Kalas definitely tried bringing the ball out more and having an impact but usually crossed the halfway line and panicked. Hopefully this signing allows him to become that ball winning Centre Back and takes some pressure off. He's got an amazing leap on him and will get in the way of anything, Kalas attacking the ball with Atkinson weeping up could be a very tidy partnership for the second half of the season

I think he will be raw and may be one we need to patient with but looks like he could be a fantastic player for us. 

He is definitely deceptive.  Has a distinct, almost straight legged running gait, but he has a bit of overdrive too.  Certainly no slouch.  Kalas is deceptive too, in an elegant way, he covers the ground quickly.

When watching video clips of defenders I’m generally looking for flaws, so it’s nice to see a package of clips focussed on the good things.

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Scouting systems like Wyscout do it all for you.  They package up clips into groups like:

• best actions
  • goals
  • passing 
  • dialogue (linking in English) with midfield
  • aerial duels
  • defensive positioning

so it’s all done for you.

93B74072-E828-47EF-912E-DF8EECF34002.thumb.jpeg.a6470f60b5d0adb84739ff5d2579db3f.jpeg

Having said that, I think someone has done some editing on the one JD has shared.  I’ve got a good few bits of video on the likes of Atkinson, Bayo, Pigott, etc, where in the case of the strikers each goal clip is 45-50 seconds long, showing several replays….which is a bit tedious.  I’m gonna get my son (he loves his emedia GCSE stuff - I haven’t got the time or patience) to edit out the stuff I don’t want.  I’ve got 200 clips of Pigott’s link-up play. That is nicely packaged up because of no replays.

He is definitely deceptive.  Has a distinct, almost straight legged running gait, but he has a bit of overdrive too.  Certainly no slouch.  Kalas is deceptive too, in an elegant way, he covers the ground quickly.

When watching video clips of defenders I’m generally looking for flaws, so it’s nice to see a package of clips focussed on the good things.

I've got one of Pigott too which is about 6 minutes long. Was going to wait to see if we sign him first before posting it but I can post it later when I get home if anyone wants to see it

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I've got one of Pigott too which is about 6 minutes long. Was going to wait to see if we sign him first before posting it but I can post it later when I get home if anyone wants to see it

Yes, please.  Out of interest, where are you picking these up from?  Google search?  Or some other site / twitter page?

• Like 1

Just now, Davefevs said:

Yes, please.  Out of interest, where are you picking these up from?  Google search?  Or some other site / twitter page?

I made it myself. Watched quite a number of league one games recently and thought I'd take the odd clip I liked from games as would be good to see many of them in one vid.

To be fair there weren't many bad bits to even post if I had done that. I can't remember seeing him lose the ball in any dangerous area of the pitch once. I'm sure he has at some points through the whole season though as not seen all their games. But he seems quite sensible when choosing when to go on a run.

It's interesting how in the games I've seen he rarely plays a long pass. Elliott Moore did that sometimes but Atkinson generally ran with it or often played it forwards or sideways along the ground.

So maybe not like Webster in that part. As Webster was a superb long passer of the ball for us with either foot. It didn't look like one of Atkinson's strengths the odd time he did go long.

What I like is Atkinson's pace. Like Webster he's hard to keep up with. And when running at pace with the ball the ball almost always stays close under control. Not really seen heavy touches where he then has to lunge into a 50/50 to make up for his mistake. How many times have we seen that, that often ends up being the worse type challenges.

But all this is only games I have seen. Oxford fans would have a much better idea of him as a player over the whole season.

I think he looks willing to put his body on the line too which is good to see. One clip I didn't put in was him bravely bending low to head and looked like he might have got kicked in the head. 

Not all players will do that, something we'd not really have seen from the likes of Hegeler or Magnússon for example. Sometimes there is no choice but to be brave. He looks up for doing that for sure.

Joe Pigott video again is mainly good bits but it clearly shows what he brings and what he would not bring to the side. Will post later this afternoon on that thread.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I made it myself. Watched quite a number of league one games recently and thought I'd take the odd clip I liked from games as would be good to see many of them in one vid.

bravo 👍🏻 Where did you source the games from and how did you extract the clips?

To be fair there weren't many bad bits to even post if I had done that. I can't remember seeing him lose the ball in any dangerous area of the pitch once. I'm sure he has at some points through the whole season though as not seen all their games. But he seems quite sensible when choosing when to go on a run.

As I said earlier, he’s not one to rush, makes his decision late, often after after opponent has committed.

It's interesting how in the games I've seen he rarely plays a long pass. Elliott Moore did that sometimes but Atkinson generally ran with it or often played it forwards or sideways along the ground.

So maybe not like Webster in that part. As Webster was a superb long passer of the ball for us with either foot. It didn't look like one of Atkinson's strengths the odd time he did go long.

What I like is Atkinson's pace. Like Webster he's hard to keep up with. And when running at pace with the ball the ball almost always stays close under control. Not really seen heavy touches where he then has to lunge into a 50/50 to make up for his mistake. How many times have we seen that, that often ends up being the worse type challenges.

But all this is only games I have seen. Oxford fans would have a much better idea of him as a player over the whole season.

I think he looks willing to put his body on the line too which is good to see. One clip I didn't put in was him bravely bending low to head and looked like he might have got kicked in the head. 

Not all players will do that, something we'd not really have seen from the likes of Hegeler or Magnússon for example. Sometimes there is no choice but to be brave. He looks up for doing that for sure.

Joe Pigott video again is mainly good bits but it clearly shows what he brings and what he would not bring to the side. Will post later this afternoon on that thread.

that’ll be good to see too.  I’m just contacting Wyscout to up my monthly minutes.  Gonna cost me though ☹️

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I just go on ifollow so doesn't cost a penny!

I'll probably make a few more but will soon stop once the season starts. I enjoy watching the games. Means I don't go without football with them and the Euros 😂

When I went on I-follow previously I had to login for each team individually….did you have to do that too?  What software are you using to extract the clip and then stitch together.  Joe has full Adobe suite, so I can set him homework and he can earn some PocketMoney 😉

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

When I went on I-follow previously I had to login for each team individually….did you have to do that too?  What software are you using to extract the clip and then stitch together.  Joe has full Adobe suite, so I can set him homework and he can earn some PocketMoney 😉

I have a MacBook Pro. You can record whatever is on your screen using that

• Flames 1

Me too.

Why did I not know that….doh!

For the Wyscout clips that I can’t download directly, I can now screen record.  Means I can make more out of my subscription limitations.

Thanks Jon 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

might need to invest in a bigger hdd 

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 1