IGNORED

Marcus Rashford.

Southport Red

Is he the nicest man in football?

This is his tweet to Emma Raducanu after her withdrawal from Wimbledon. 

With all he’s got going on at the Euros, he does this. The more I hear about this fella, the more I like him. Just a shame he plays for Manure. 

A67776E8-20AF-4040-9A70-125065043D88.png

Thought this was a good thing to do as well......

A nine-year-old boy said he was "made up" after footballer Marcus Rashford sent him a surprise present thanking him for his charity work.

Jacob, from St Helens in Merseyside, was inspired by the England forward's efforts to tackle child poverty and began running for charity Fare Share.

His family said they were "so shocked" when a PlayStation 5 and a letter from Rashford arrived on their doorstep.

"We are kind because it is the right thing to do", the letter said.

Rashford, 23, led a campaign to tackle child food poverty during the coronavirus pandemic and was appointed an MBE.

Manchester United fan Jacob wanted to help the cause and asked people to sponsor him while he ran to raise cash, his father John Worthington said.

The boy, who plays for two football teams in the North West, created an Instagram account with his father to document his progress.

Letter from RashfordRashford spotted Jacob's efforts and messaged his father about where to send the gift.

Mr Worthington said: "I was not expecting the parcel to come so quickly, so when it arrived on Wednesday I thought, 'what is this?'.

"I genuinely thought someone had sent Jacob something in a used PlayStation box.

Jacob said he "couldn't believe it" when he then unwrapped the console along with the letter and a new game.

Rashford wrote: "We are not kind to be noticed. We are kind because it is the right thing to do."

The Manchester United striker added he was "so proud" of the work Jacob had done for charity.Jacob said he started "jumping around the room" and was "so grateful".

He added: "Rashford is my favourite player and I really hope to see him playing more for England."

33 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

A few other players replied also, we have a good bunch of lads in this England team

They are an inspiration, and are doing us proud on and off the pitch. A far cry from when we had the likes of Rooney shagging grannies and screaming into the camera, and Terry fighting with team mates.

1 hour ago, Wanderingred said:

They are an inspiration, and are doing us proud on and off the pitch. A far cry from when we had the likes of Rooney shagging grannies and screaming into the camera, and Terry fighting with team mates.

Rashford is class, but let's not think all the England players are. 

Whilst the rest of us were in Lockdown, remember walker having a hooker orgy party at his, foden and greenwood meeting up with girls, again, during Lockdown, and grielish blatantly being drunk and crashing his range rover, not long after filming a video advising everyone needs to stay indoors to project the NHS. 

Rashford I think is the exception, not the rule, sadly, when it comes to modern day footballers. 

As a group they are certainly socially aware and responsible and that is admirable compared to some of the teams that preceded them as someone else pointed out. The taking of the knee to highlight racial inequality is something they clearly feel very strongly as a squad.

Rashford is an outstanding role model for kids.

3 hours ago, Akira said:

Whilst the rest of us were in Lockdown, remember walker having a hooker orgy party at his, foden and greenwood meeting up with girls, again, during Lockdown, and grielish blatantly being drunk and crashing his range rover, not long after filming a video advising everyone needs to stay indoors to project the NHS. 

Rashford I think is the exception, not the rule, sadly, when it comes to modern day footballers. 

I am convinced you have this the wrong way round. The press do a better job of highlighting the misdemeanors, especially when it suits their agenda, those incidents you mention would surely have come back to haunt them if England had failed in this tournament

2 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Totally agree with all the above comments but can't help feeling that Rashford would do well to concentrate more on the day job. His form has dipped woefully over the past 18 months or so.

Depends what his priorities in life are I suppose. 

22 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Totally agree with all the above comments but can't help feeling that Rashford would do well to concentrate more on the day job. His form has dipped woefully over the past 18 months or so.

Sure the kids he helped to feed would say he’s got his priorities spot on 

1 hour ago, Sir Geoff said:

Take the food back from all those school children because Sir Geoff doesn't think Rashford has played well enough recently.

1 hour ago, Sir Geoff said:

I hate this.

Being 100% dedicated to your job and being a kind, generous and socially-aware person are not mutually exclusive.

Don't be so stupid.

Rashford is an interesting case - he's managed by Roc Nation who are very effective at championing causes in social justice so he's got great PR behind him. 

However, whether it's organic or not, it's definitely for the greater good. Rashford has bought the issues with child hunger into the public discourse which is great. He used his platform effectively to force the government into several U-turns and essentially do the right thing. 

10 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Rashford is an interesting case - he's managed by Roc Nation who are very effective at championing causes in social justice so he's got great PR behind him. 

However, whether it's organic or not, it's definitely for the greater good. Rashford has bought the issues with child hunger into the public discourse which is great. He used his platform effective to force the government into several U-turns and essentially do the right thing. 

I'm sure he's getting loads of help from behind the scenes - and that's absolutely not to take any credit away from him because, as you rightly say, one way or another he's out there making an actual difference.

It just makes this whole notion that because he's doing a few bits and pieces for good causes and his form has dipped the two MUST be linked beyond ridiculous.

I make no apologies for repeating - it's utterly stupid.

4 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

I'm sure he's getting loads of help from behind the scenes - and that's absolutely not to take any credit away from him because, as you rightly say, one way or another he's out there making an actual difference.

It just makes this whole notion that because he's doing a few bits and pieces for good causes and his form has dipped the two MUST be linked beyond ridiculous.

Agreed. I'm quite cynical of celebrity PR generally - but regardless whether it's organic or not he's clearly making a huge tangible difference. This isn't a celeb doing a bit of 'look at what a good person I am' PR by being advised to be photographed working at a foodbank. Rashford is influencing government policy and making an enormous difference to lives of people that need help.

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Agreed. I'm quite cynical of celebrity PR generally - but regardless whether it's organic or not he's clearly making a huge tangible difference. This isn't a celeb doing a bit of 'look at what a good person I am' PR by being advised to be photographed working at a foodbank. Rashford is influencing government policy and making an enormous difference to lives of people that need help.

You are right and to some extent it's ironic the father of Jacob in @BSRED's post released that story, especially as Rashford is quoted as saying "We are not kind to be noticed. We are kind because it is the right thing to do."

13 hours ago, Southport Red said:

Is he the nicest man in football?

This is his tweet to Emma Raducanu after her withdrawal from Wimbledon. 

With all he’s got going on at the Euros, he does this. The more I hear about this fella, the more I like him. Just a shame he plays for Manure. 

A67776E8-20AF-4040-9A70-125065043D88.png

Like many of the younger generation, there are some fabulously well mannered and respectful young people out there. Unfortunately the media will lead you to believe different. 

Well done Marcus. 

6 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

There is a valid point here. If his form is dipping because of being distracted by other interests then his wages should be taking a dip too.

Credit to him for his charity work but he is professionally contracted to Man Utd to give them his first priority.

You can’t have it both ways.

1 hour ago, TedsHeadIs Red said:

There is a valid point here. If his form is dipping because of being distracted by other interests then his wages should be taking a dip too.

Credit to him for his charity work but he is professionally contracted to Man Utd to give them his first priority.

You can’t have it both ways.

So if your performance at worked dipped you'd be quite happy with them telling you to stop going to the pub with your mates on a Friday night and no more city games on a Saturday for a few months as they think it's distracting you?

It's a job. It's already a lot more invasive than most of us would put up with.

6 hours ago, The Journalist said:

Marcus Rashford is a great lad, no arguments there, we all know that.

Now for the BUT, there will be money men who don't care what type of bloke Rashford is and what he's done for the world, they will simply look at facts as they see them and will be thinking it's also utterly stupid, to use your phrase, paying someone £150K per week when they are putting in £15K per week performances. The people who pay the dosh will know exactly how the lad is playing and whatever the reasons, whether they be distractions or other, the lad does need to do a lot more on the football pitch than we've seen from him for months now. I hope he changes my mind this evening but on current form he's struggling to justify a place in the England squad full stop imo.

2 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

So if your performance at worked dipped you'd be quite happy with them telling you to stop going to the pub with your mates on a Friday night and no more city games on a Saturday for a few months as they think it's distracting you?

It's a job. It's already a lot more invasive than most of us would put up with.

No, your firm can't do that but they can tell you that you are falling below standards, give you a timeframe to address the situation and if you either can't or won't **** you off out the back door (or the front one). How you choose to get your standards back on track is, of course, up to you within reason.

In addition there aren't many of us whose firm pays us £750K gross each MONTH and for that kind of money I think most of us would take the loss of a little bit of freedom in comparison to the "average" worker on here who probably gets paid between £20K-70K per ANNUM (apologies if you get paid less than £20K but you get my drift)?

I think certain players get over scruntanised. Rashford has not played at peak all season, but most players don't - he still recorded 11 goals and 9 assists in 37 prem games - that's scoring and creating in every other game. 

Even in current form he warrants his place in my opinion. 

Just now, Numero Uno said:

No, your firm can't do that but they can tell you that you are falling below standards, give you a timeframe to address the situation and if you either can't or won't **** you off out the back door (or the front one). How you choose to get your standards back on track is, of course, up to you within reason.

In addition there aren't many of us whose firm pays us £750K gross each MONTH and for that kind of money I think most of us would take the loss of a little bit of freedom in comparison to the "average" worker on here who probably gets paid between £20K-70K per ANNUM (apologies if you get paid less than £20K but you get my drift)?

Yeah, and that will happen with players too no doubt... just look at City this summer!

I agree he gets paid a vast amount, but I'd rather credit him for what he does do compared to others rather than use it as a stick to beat him with. He didn't choose to earn that much, he's capable of playing at the highest level and that's the going rate.

Given his diet, holidays, exercise, what he drinks, every move he makes etc. is already under intense scrutiny I'm maybe a bit more lenient on a young bloke in his early 20s. At least he's trying to make a difference right! To be honest even pro footballers are small fry compared to the super rich - the Bet365 CEO got the equivalent of almost £10m / week last year!

4 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

Yeah, and that will happen with players too no doubt... just look at City this summer!

I agree he gets paid a vast amount, but I'd rather credit him for what he does do compared to others rather than use it as a stick to beat him with. He didn't choose to earn that much, he's capable of playing at the highest level and that's the going rate.

Given his diet, holidays, exercise, what he drinks, every move he makes etc. is already under intense scrutiny I'm maybe a bit more lenient on a young bloke in his early 20s. At least he's trying to make a difference right! To be honest even pro footballers are small fry compared to the super rich - the Bet365 CEO got the equivalent of almost £10m / week last year!

I don't begrudge Rashford the dosh at all. He or his agent(s) negotiated a contract, Man Utd agreed the terms and conditions, that's all there is to it on that score. Obviously there will be certain restrictions imposed that you or I might baulk at when someone pays you that kind of dough though and you can't really complain about that. It's also great he is making a difference (not trying tbf) but I just think that when your performance in the old day job dips a bit like Rashford's has recently, I think that's undeniable tbh, and because of the huge wages top footballers earn and the very public scrutiny that they face, as you describe, the lad might be better advised to keep his head down for a bit. He's got plenty of time in his life to carry on making a difference and when his form picks up again (probably in a few weeks time but tonight, if he gets on, would be better) nobody will care less what he's doing.............imo, that kind of "brand management" as they might call it is surely what you pay your Agent a wheelbarrow full of cash for.

11 hours ago, Akira said:

Good on them. I'd do exactly the same.

40 minutes ago, BCFC Richard said:

I think certain players get over scruntanised. Rashford has not played at peak all season, but most players don't - he still recorded 11 goals and 9 assists in 37 prem games - that's scoring and creating in every other game. 

Even in current form he warrants his place in my opinion. 

Not only good points but also a new word!

Archived