IGNORED

Semi Final #2 - England v. Denmark Matchday Thread

CyderInACan

1 hour ago, steviestevieneville said:

He relies on it too much. He gets caught of position far too much. Plus he switches off . Whenever a team has threatened us it’s been down his side . He gives the ball away too much as well.

How on earth did he even get in the squad, he's rubbish!!!

6 minutes ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

sat at a desk in Surrey already growling at the potential of the M4 to royally screw my evening up. The earlier I can leave the happier I'll be

Before the Germany game I left 30 minutes early from work and what was a normal 15 minute drive took 45 minutes. I hate Bristol sometimes, I don't even live near the centre. 

as a fan of city for many many years. i am getting fed up with all the England and the Euros stuff on Tv. i want England to win but every time i turn on the tv all it is. its getting boring. Tv and radio is off until the KO. i know i sound boring. am i alone in this. waiting to get hammered for this comment 

4 minutes ago, Hampshire reds said:

as a fan of city for many many years. i am getting fed up with all the England and the Euros stuff on Tv. i want England to win but every time i turn on the tv all it is. its getting boring. Tv and radio is off until the KO. i know i sound boring. am i alone in this. waiting to get hammered for this comment 

Surely it's more interesting than doom and gloom news about Covid which has dominated our news for 18 months.

I'm intrigued to see how the players handle the occasion tonight. Will they cope with the expectation or go into their shells?

Denmark are no mugs. They beat the Czechs authoritatively in the last round, and are playing for a cause. Our 55 years of hurt don't really compare to that. We also lost to them last October.  

We've got more quality in our squad and the carrot of a Wembley final in front of 90,000 mostly fervant England fans I hope is enough to shade it. Southgate's got it spot on tactically so far in this tournament, let's hope he gets it right again tonight. 

6 minutes ago, tin said:

I'm intrigued to see how the players handle the occasion tonight. Will they cope with the expectation or go into their shells?

Denmark are no mugs. They beat the Czechs authoritatively in the last round, and are playing for a cause. Our 55 years of hurt don't really compare to that. We also lost to them last October.  

We've got more quality in our squad and the carrot of a Wembley final in front of 90,000 mostly fervant England fans I hope is enough to shade it. Southgate's got it spot on tactically so far in this tournament, let's hope he gets it right again tonight. 

I don't think that counts for anything tbh. That team was very different to the one that will play tonight and we played most of the game with ten men.

25 minutes ago, Sturny said:

Before the Germany game I left 30 minutes early from work and what was a normal 15 minute drive took 45 minutes. I hate Bristol sometimes, I don't even live near the centre. 

They have changed things so much, my daughter got a fine for driving in the bus lanes of Baldwin St. To be honest I am not even sure how she managed it, the picture of it is hilarious, she must have thought "Bristol has got so quiet since lockdown" :)  

8 minutes ago, tin said:

I think the Germany game shows they'll rise to the occasion and handle the pressure just fine.

We have a squad made up of players who are used to winning things and playing in big games. 

3 hours ago, sticks 1969 said:

tempted to stick 100 on Denmark as a insurance bet  

Good idea. Just make sure the bet is to win the tie and not in 90 mins or worse case scenario we lose in extra time or worse pens and you lose a hundred notes ?.

I made a similar mistake once! 

1 minute ago, Bristol Rob said:

Hopefully we aren't left crying in to our Carlsberg and spluttering over bacon sandwiches after this evening.

(Pretty sure that covered the two things the Danes have contributed to society - with varying levels of success. They can keep the lager).

An amazing number of place names, especially further north came from the old Danish language, almost all towns ending in -wich, -ton, -ham, -by, -thorpe, -stoke/stock for example.

10 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

They have changed things so much, my daughter got a fine for driving in the bus lanes of Baldwin St. To be honest I am not even sure how she managed it, the picture of it is hilarious, she must have thought "Bristol has got so quiet since lockdown" :)  

Me too, those bus gates have caught many out. 

9 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think the Germany game shows they'll rise to the occasion and handle the pressure just fine.

We have a squad made up of players who are used to winning things and playing in big games. 

I hope so, PF.

There's always something extra riding on the Germany game, though. If they couldn't get up for that, at Wembley, in front of fans after playing behind closed doors for more than a year, they shouldn't be playing at this level IMO. 

1 minute ago, tin said:

I hope so, PF.

There's always something extra riding on the Germany game, though. If they couldn't get up for that, at Wembley, in front of fans after playing behind closed doors for more than a year, they shouldn't be playing at this level IMO. 

I think it helped that Germany came to win the match. My concern is that Denmark see what Scotland did and employ similar tactics - but with their better quality across their team might will be far more dangerous. 

We need an early goal tonight ideally. 

20 minutes ago, tin said:

it will be a great occasion. Southgate is the man at the moment and he has a great squad of players and he will get it correct. im going for a win in 90 minutes and the whole bloody country will go nuts. everyone deserves this and good luck to all,

43 minutes ago, Sturny said:

The stupid pr**ks at BCC thought it would be good to throw a bridge swing at 4pm that day.  I genuinely wonder if they have any concept of when is a good time to do them.  All for the sake of some posh **** in a boat. 

24 minutes ago, tin said:

This is either our 'breakthrough' moment a bit like happened to Spain after years of failure.. or we fail again.  This feels different this time around, the mentality of the team, the manager etc. 

27 minutes ago, tin said:

Is it not still at reduced 60,000 for the final?

43 minutes ago, Hampshire reds said:

im sure there is some help line number you call

4 minutes ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

Is it not still at reduced 60,000 for the final?

I don't think it's been made clear yet. The official line is "more than 60,000", so I wouldn't be surprised to see a capacity crowd if we win tonight. 

48 minutes ago, Hampshire reds said:

Mate,

Ash Bartey the Oziee sheila just got in to the semi finals in the tennis. You could always watch her play if that tickles your fancy. 

image.jpeg.ec791d201836ad032c12df541d1cc8f2.jpeg

7 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Well he’s not is he. No player playing at that level is rubbish. They’re all very good players . He’s just not as good as trippier or Reece james. 

No, of course he's not rubbish, but to read your critique of him you'd think he was! What he does have, and I think its fairly critical to the way Southgate sets the team up, is blistering pace, if it wasn't for that he probably wouldn't get in regularly before the other options.

3 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

No, of course he's not rubbish, but to read your critique of him you'd think he was! What he does have, and I think its fairly critical to the way Southgate sets the team up, is blistering pace, if it wasn't for that he probably wouldn't get in regularly before the other options.

Without his pace . He wouldn’t be a international player imo . Just don’t think he’s defensively minded enough & relies on his pace to get him out of trouble. 

Archived