IGNORED

Semi Final #2 - England v. Denmark Matchday Thread

CyderInACan

2 minutes ago, Coppello said:

I’m always interested by the views of neutrals when watching England. I don’t disagree, I don’t think it was our best game but we really grew into it and they were on the ropes until the penalty. I’m fairly confident we would’ve scored anyway even if that penalty didn’t go in. 

I’m not sure about the time wasting point, our game management was absolutely perfect without shithousing our way to victory. We didn’t feign injury or make pointless changes, we just kept the ball. I think at one point we had it for three minutes without a Danish player touching it, that’s fantastic. 

Finals usually are boring; I was at the final of the last Euros when Portugal won but it’s far from the greatest game I’ve seen. I strongly believe that we deserve to be in the final. We’ve been pretty convincing in almost of the games and have only been behind for 9 minutes across six games. 

Thanks for accepting my opinion, mate ! Yes, I still belive that England would have scored a goal even without a penalty because Denmark players were very tired while England was looking totally fresh ( great training here I swear it is unbelievable after a long and fast season with 60-70 games played by every top player ). 

Judging by the game management, I think too that England should be into the Final. It could be nice to see England vs Spain for a nice game, because Italy won't open so much for sure and England has moments of high pressing and fluid football but sometimes they turn into a more defensive team but again at times they will press the gas pedal and do some nice attacks. 

I never liked Italy and I hope Gareth will try to have a more attacking game with Italy being Humilated like in 2012. 

31 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Does anyone else just feel like they don't know what to do. England. Finals. It just doesn't happen. I'm happy but also just a bit lost.

It was ******* weird when we scored. I felt a bit numb at the final whistle. I don't feel as connected to football as I used too so I was acknowledging that feeling internally as I would have felt so much stronger 15 years ago as a kid, but I watched it with my 70 year old Dad who took me to City years ago and there's no where else I'd want to be if we won it. We don't have much in common in a lot of ways and I don't watch much football these days but I keep in contact with him weekly about City.  ******* surreal and wrapped up in a lot of emotion and that is the power of the game really. 

58 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

It's obstruction, at least (second Dane). Indirect free-kick, for me

Is there such a thing these days ? Defenders obstruct attackers  every time they usher the ball out for a goal kick .

6 minutes ago, Mihai said:

Yea, I knew England National Team was not that good lately i remember even Romania defeated England two times in 98 and 2000 if i am not mistaken. I am not 100% neutral but I couldn't find other way cause yea, it is hard to explain. I love english football, i am a true Bristol City fan and after Romania, England is the national team that I like. 

You are right and I never ever wanted to be rude about England.

There are a few types of football fans :  

-Fans that like results more than anything

-Fans that like good football

-Fans that likes both results and quality football ( like me ). For this category of people it remains a strange feeling after games. Even with Bristol City, when we win but we play like sh*t, I am happy but in the same time I am kinda sad and worried about our next games. Do you feel me ? 

Oh  I didn't think.you were being rude. And I like to see other people's opinions especially when they are more neutral than I am.

I just think if people think we are shit and play bad football now, they really haven't been watching us for the past 40 years.

That said you will be judging england against other European sides and Romanian sides, where certainly for years the skills and technique of your countrymen were far higher than English. I think we have caught up after years in that respect. Where we fall down for the neutral is attacking flair. Don't get me wrong, I think we have it when we want to use it, we just don't use it enough, and from a neutral perspective it doesn't make for great watching.

Personally for my club side I'd prefer attacking style over results if I had to choose as I want to be entertained, but at international level I want results. So I am currently happy with 50% percent of my supporting options :laugh:

I fully accept the penalty was soft, sometimes the big calls go your way sometimes they don’t. Can entirely live with the salt from others on that one.

I do have a real sense of sadness over the footage of lasers being shone at the goalie during the penalty. Apparently it’s coming out it was going on all game. No place for that at all. Shameful.

1 minute ago, cityexile said:

I fully accept the penalty was soft, sometimes the big calls go your way sometimes they don’t. Can entirely live with the salt from others on that one.

I do have a real sense of sadness over the footage of lasers being shone at the goalie during the penalty. Apparently it’s coming out it was going on all game. No place for that at all. Shameful.

I think if you pressure that much you will eventually get things that go your way. Its why the big teams seem to get a lot of "luck" but it's not really luck it just forces decisions. 

Though not sure what explains the high amount of Rovers penalities. 

3 minutes ago, TRL said:

Oh  I didn't think.you were being rude. And I like to see other people's opinions especially when they are more neutral than I am.

I just think if people think we are shit and play bad football now, they really haven't been watching us for the past 40 years.

That said you will be judging england against other European sides and Romanian sides, where certainly for years the skills and technique of your countrymen were far higher than English. I think we have caught up after years in that respect. Where we fall down for the neutral is attacking flair. Don't get me wrong, I think we have it when we want to use it, we just don't use it enough, and from a neutral perspective it doesn't make for great watching.

Personally for my club side I'd prefer attacking style over results if I had to choose as I want to be entertained, but at international level I want results. So I am currently happy with 50% percent of my supporting options :laugh:

You should see Romania now, but you can see it only in the qualifiers haha, we couldn't beat Iceland.

England is not shit, there are great players that are young and can become even better. And I see Sterling, Sancho, Foden, Grealish as a very good and tehnique footballers. I don't think England have boring players, just a boring manager which as you said really want a result and doesn't care about other aspects of the game, which is fair because England is hungry for trophies.

And about City, for the last 15 years of pain I would love a Nigel Pearson Italian Job next season with 35 wins with 1-0 and 11 draws with 0-0 haha, i really want to see City in PL.

Just watched the highlights back on BBC. It’s a lot more enjoyable the second time and I’m not sure I fully appreciated how many excellent chances we created. We also limited them to long shots from distance and we finally conceded to a fantastic free kick from distance. 

One of my biggest fears today was how we would react if we went behind. We were fantastic, with Sterling missing a good chance and England equalising within 9 minutes of conceding. We were a little less fluid than previous games but we’ve shown so much grit. Whatever the result on Sunday, we can be very proud of this squad. 

39 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Scottish Twitter is absolutely f*****g glorious to read.

Indeed. Calling the ref a cheat, Var useless, saying UEFA are gifting it to us. Thats not just scotland, thats the rest of the world saying that. 

It is glorious. It shows what ive known for a long time. Everyone hates us :laugh:. Ah well, will make it all the more sweeter if we win it. 

24 minutes ago, Slacker said:

It was very soft as was the free kick for Denmarks goal.I thought the penalty shout in the first half was a stronger claim. I try to cut referees a bit of slack but thought he was poor for both sides tonight.Really glad it didn't go to penalties. I reckon Schmeichel would have saved at least two.

Have to watch on ESPN here in the US. They have Mark Clattenburg comment on any contentious moments. He gave the same reason for England not getting the pen earlier as getting the Pen later (that lead to the goal). UEFA say VAR should only over rule if there is a strong reason to overrule the initial decision - something blatantly missed by the referee. His comments while the incidents are under review so he is noot being biased by hindsight. 

2 minutes ago, Mihai said:

You should see Romania now, but you can see it only in the qualifiers haha, we couldn't beat Iceland.

England is not shit, there are great players that are young and can become even better. And I see Sterling, Sancho, Foden, Grealish as a very good and tehnique footballers. I don't think England have boring players, just a boring manager which as you said really want a result and doesn't care about other aspects of the game, which is fair because England is hungry for trophies.

And about City, for the last 15 years of pain I would love a Nigel Pearson Italian Job next season with 35 wins with 1-0 and 11 draws with 0-0 haha, i really want to see City in PL.

Yep I seen you have gone off the boil. You tend to get a load of great players come in at the same time, I just don't see that at the moment with Romania, I guess your time will come again.there was  time I could reel off 6 or 7 Romanian footballers that were top quality. I'd be hard pressed to name 2 now unfortunately!

Personally I like Soutgate's approach, he appears to have tactics and plans for various eventualities, of course he is only as good as his last match. But I like him as a person, and he seems to know how to galvanise a squad.

Re Pearson, I can't help but think we are going to be bored to death while he is in charge, he is very pragmatic and we will be hard to beat. But I like to be entertained,as many other City fans do. He may be being treated like a messiah now, but fans won't put up wit dogged performances for long if we are languishing.i have been a City fan long enough now to know what our fan base are like. He will get backed from the rafters for 6 months before the crowd will turn if the football is crap and the position in the table is not great.

2 minutes ago, TRL said:

Yep I seen you have gone off the boil. You tend to get a load of great players come in at the same time, I just don't see that at the moment with Romania, I guess your time will come again.there was  time I could reel off 6 or 7 Romanian footballers that were top quality. I'd be hard pressed to name 2 now unfortunately!

Personally I like Soutgate's approach, he appears to have tactics and plans for various eventualities, of course he is only as good as his last match. But I like him as a person, and he seems to know how to galvanise a squad.

Re Pearson, I can't help but think we are going to be bored to death while he is in charge, he is very pragmatic and we will be hard to beat. But I like to be entertained,as many other City fans do. He may be being treated like a messiah now, but fans won't put up wit dogged performances for long if we are languishing.i have been a City fan long enough now to know what our fan base are like. He will get backed from the rafters for 6 months before the crowd will turn if the football is crap and the position in the table is not great.

Yea, about Pearson I don't know him but a lot of  City supporters chose to change their mentality about our managers, more ofthen than their socks. 

13 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Indeed. Calling the ref a cheat, Var useless, saying UEFA are gifting it to us. Thats not just scotland, thats the rest of the world saying that. 

It is glorious. It shows what ive known for a long time. Everyone hates us :laugh:. Ah well, will make it all the more sweeter if we win it. 

I'm sure every single football fan would be saying it. Bad decisions happen at every tournament and we have been on the wrong end of them since I remember. 

4 minutes ago, BCFC Richard said:

Have to watch on ESPN here in the US. They have Mark Clattenburg comment on any contentious moments. He gave the same reason for England not getting the pen earlier as getting the Pen later (that lead to the goal). UEFA say VAR should only over rule if there is a strong reason to overrule the initial decision - something blatantly missed by the referee. His comments while the incidents are under review so he is noot being biased by hindsight. 

I did have the feeling that the ref may have balanced it out with the second penalty shout.Funnily enough I said early in the game that I thought the ref would make a costly decision but that it would be in Denmark's favour.

Wow. I've been to the old Wembley and new many times, FA cup finals, play off finals, Paint finals of course. 

But that below capacity crowd was streets ahead of any other visit for noise. 

I wonder if its because of the long wait everyone has had. If so I can't wait for the Blackpool game

4 minutes ago, Mihai said:

Yea, about Pearson I don't know him but a lot of  City supporters chose to change their mentality about our managers, more ofthen than their socks. 

Ain't that the truth. I think he may bring us stability, but I am not sure he is our long term manager. I will be happy to be proven wrong and hope he is a success.

His brutal honesty seems to be hitting the right chord with many at the moment. As long as we improve it's okay, if we don't that brutal honesty will be seen as bullshit and the fans will turn quickly. I've seen it all before.

4 minutes ago, TRL said:

Ain't that the truth. I think he may bring us stability, but I am not sure he is our long term manager. I will be happy to be proven wrong and hope he is a success.

His brutal honesty seems to be hitting the right chord with many at the moment. As long as we improve it's okay, if we don't that brutal honesty will be seen as bullshit and the fans will turn quickly. I've seen it all before.

Yea ! I saw on YouTube some videos of him. I couldn't stop laughing. He is pretty rude sometimes.

1 hour ago, Mihai said:

With the risk of being hated by some of you I will tell you my honest opinion as a England fan but neutral in the same time ( cause if Romania would be a good team for sure i will support then any day at Euros)

I wanted England to win since the tournament started but England never impressed me in any game. Is not because of the quality of the players but because of the coaches.

In the group stage England looked like some of Italy clone and I expected that to change but it didn't happen to be honest.

Yesterday I felt nice about the game and a bit sad for Spain, which was so unlucky. 

Today I was hoping for a nice game, instead the first half was terrible for me as a neutral fan (which wanted England to win). Second half the team tried a bit more but against a team like Denmark England should score but they couldn't. In the stoppage time that was not a penalty and Denmark played in 10 for 15 mins while England was wasting time.

The conclusion:

A pretty poor game judging the quality difference between players and their fitness. Premier League players get the best fitness probably in the entire world while some of the obscure Denmark players for sure dont. 

So, a 2-1 win from a questionable penalty and wasting time for 15 minutes against a drained team which played in 10 man. Everything happened with England playing at Home with 40k supporters.

Judging by the quality of football and the beauty of this game, the Final Italy vs England is for sure the ugliest one at this Tournament.

I hope for an England win but for sure will be a boring game. 

Thanks for that uplifting report on the game, good job you weren't in charge of boosting moral during the second world war because we would have probably lost, by the way I don't agree with your assessment of the game as you can tell from this reply after 1 hour there was only going to be one winner we completely overran them and they were lucky not to get a hiding come the end.  

I bemoaned some of England’s football pre-tournament, it being a bit without a plan, a bit laboured (not doing the hard yards), but Scotland aside, I’ve enjoyed watching us play.

I usually cut a frustrated supporter as we give the ball away cheaply, chase opponents round (not always good ones either) and knacker ourselves out in the process.

Croatia I saw the plan, against a good side.  Scotland was back to normal, but the plan was back on track from Czech game onwards, building from the back, down the sides, happy to to back then across, then down the other side…not giving up cheap possession.  I’ve been a pretty calm viewer, patiently happy to wait until we work the opening.  As the games progressed we’ve move the ball a bit crisper, a bit quicker.  We’ve seen that Southgate has picked his team to win games and progress in the tournament, that so called 7 defenders and 3 attackers is not defensive, just “another system” designed to get a result.  I’ve not found us tedious to watch.  I’ve seen players like Rice grow on me (was good tonight), Mings come in and do a v.respectable job, etc, etc.

We had a wobble for 10-15 minutes tonight….it’s a semi-final, you ain’t gonna dominate all 90….but we got back to our plan and we’re on top for the rest of the game.  We’ve found ways of building pressure on teams that are happy to defend deep and counter-attack.  We’ve found ways of beating tough teams (Croatia, Germany) in tournaments.

We have a manager, who I don’t necessarily think is fantastic, but who has built a club squad mentality at international level, players understanding that tonight might not be their night, but might be on another (Grealish didn’t get off the bench v Ukraine, tonight he came on and off).  We were able to adapt to Denmark pushing men on by moving Walker from RB to RCB and bring Trippier on.  Who said we had too many RBs.

Tonight is a good night.  It’s kinda all I’ve wanted from an England team in a major tournament.

Chilled.

Thank you.

Just now, arrytheb said:

Can't really be bothered to read 22 pages or whatever it is but that was blooming brilliant. Possibly the best atmosphere I've ever been part of and just horrendous and brilliant at the same time. Oh and spotted these too.... 

20210707_201253.jpg

20210707_195631.jpg

20210707_195310.jpg

I can’t be assed to go through all the pages either but i noticed our flag.. proper! 

A historic win to be honest.. say what you want about Gareth or this squad but this is HISTORIC and I’m so glad I’m alive to witness it.. unreal ?

7 minutes ago, TheCulturalBomb said:

So much bitterness against England for winning the game by cheating. Literally we had double the shots on them, outplayed them, every stat we were on top for.

Also, Denmark’s goal should apparently have been disallowed as their players were too close to the England wall, but it wasn’t spotted by the referee or VAR:

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/denmark-goal-england-laws-game-20997128

8 minutes ago, TheCulturalBomb said:

So much bitterness against England for winning the game by cheating. Literally we had double the shots on them, outplayed them, every stat we were on top for.

It doesn't matter what we do to the haters there will always be excuses.

The goal was coming in my opinion anyway.

Archived