IGNORED

Semi Final #2 - England v. Denmark Matchday Thread

CyderInACan

On 07/07/2021 at 07:50, Port Said Red said:

I have never started a Match Day Thread in all my years on this forum, in fact there was a time when I thought that there was some sort of secret committee that decided who could do so. (Maybe there really is and I am about to find out :) ).

England expects and all that, but my cautionary words are these. 

I feel the Danes have done a great job of taking the pressure off themselves, they have allowed themselves to be portrayed as the plucky underdogs with a point to prove for Erikson. However they are ranked 10 in the world and the highest ranked team we have met so far, so they deserve respect, and must not be underestimated.

It will be tough, but I think the benches will be the difference, England by the odd goal.

Well I may not have started the thread but I read it right, Denmark's substitutions made them weaker in my opinion, Southgate used ours very tactically even to the point of subbing a sub and we finished the game looking just as strong as we started it.

5 minutes ago, BS2 Red said:

Have you never seen the emotion on display at the World Tiddlywinks Championships? 

this is also another alternative sport in Thailand where I have visited many times. this is am alternative sport which realy puts the ball where it needs to.

th?id=OIP.lOUdzpXvzAzT7mI2QubICQHaEK&w=200&h=112&rs=1&qlt=80&o=6&pid=3.1

14 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Is anybody else concerned about Pickford's form? Seems to have totally lost any calmness to me.

It's weird, he'd barely put a foot wrong in the tournament up until that moment near the end of the Ukraine game where he charged out and made a mess of the clearance, then followed it up with another iffy kick a few minutes later. Ever since then he's been a bag of nerves.

12 hours ago, Alex_BCFC said:

What a night - again lucky to be there!

Glad you managed to get tickets mate

3 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

As a couple of others have said, you can say what you like about the way Southgate goes about things BUT England have finally got with the project when it comes to tournament football and the rest of the football world know it. We now know how to win big games. That 90 seconds of keep ball at the end of extra time last night was something none have us have ever seen from an England team, pure and beautifully controlled shithousery that in past years we just never had in our locker. If that was Spain we would have been waxing lyrical about how the control and manipulation of the football they learn from the age of 6 was used to devastating effect in order to see out a game.

I'm glad Gary Neville called England out last night properly "these lads aren't nearly lads like we were, they've gone and done it".........so true and there are quite a few ex-England pundits who are very uncomfortable admitting it.

Wasn't it more like 3-4 minutes? Was unreal. Thought I was watching a different team

2 hours ago, WECANDO said:

Only mistake Southgate made. Grealish makes things happen. He holds the ball tight and defenders can't get it. They get frustrated and foul him. He has the ability to get past players and can cross with both feet. He's also upped his work rate. Creates more than Sterling who tends to run into dead ends. Yes I know he has scored but Grealish sets them up for Kane. Should start games. 

Not sure you can call it a mistake, it worked. Grealish doesn't do the defensive work.

You can disagree whether the tactic was right to tighten up instead of go for the kill but you cant call it a mistake because it worked

14 minutes ago, Redpool said:

Agreed.  I wonder if the occasion is getting the better of him. 

Yes, I think that's what has happened. He can pull off some blinding saves, and has good ability with the ball at his feet usually, but he looks all over the place at the moment. The rest of the team look well in control of themselves. It seems like he's regressed into his Everton form! If I was Southgate I'd be looking at alternatives once the tournament is over.

2 hours ago, WECANDO said:

Only mistake Southgate made. Grealish makes things happen. He holds the ball tight and defenders can't get it. They get frustrated and foul him. He has the ability to get past players and can cross with both feet. He's also upped his work rate. Creates more than Sterling who tends to run into dead ends. Yes I know he has scored but Grealish sets them up for Kane. Should start games. 

Eh? I think defenders shit themselves when Sterling runs at them with pace., first name on the team sheet for me, which I couldn't say about Grealish although I like him as a player.

Having read many of the bitter and twisted anti England comments on social media, I am genuinely worried about how some of these people might react if we were to win the tournament... I could see them smashing up their home or hurting somebody, that's how full of anger they appear.

2 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

Having read many of the bitter and twisted anti England comments on social media, I am genuinely worried about how some of these people might react if we were to win the tournament... I could see them smashing up their home or hurting somebody, that's how full of anger they appear.

If i was a neutral fan and especially after the reaction from last night, I'd want to see England win just for the meltdown. 

4 minutes ago, Sturny said:

If i was a neutral fan and especially after the reaction from last night, I'd want to see England win just for the meltdown. 

I was like that with Portugal last time out, the frankly irrational levels of hatred they provoked from some made them winning the whole thing much better.

15 hours ago, Rebounder said:

I think if you pressure that much you will eventually get things that go your way. Its why the big teams seem to get a lot of "luck" but it's not really luck it just forces decisions. 

Though not sure what explains the high amount of Rovers penalities. 

Perhaps refs feel sorry for them!

6 hours ago, BS2 Red said:

That is just amazing and shows what a great bunch of unselfish players we now have in this squad, long may it continue. I wonder if he had time to sign it as well. What a very lucky young girl, to be picked out like that. A fan for life now. Well done Mason mount!

14 minutes ago, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

That is just amazing and shows what a great bunch of unselfish players we now have in this squad, long may it continue. I wonder if he had time to sign it as well. What a very lucky young girl, to be picked out like that. A fan for life now. Well done Mason mount!

Just out of interest are St George flags being burned all over the gaff in Tallinn or, as I suspect, have the locals got over the evil "dive" by Raheem that threatened to ruin football?

I like to watch games after things have settled, and had a replay going in my office this afternoon. We definitely outplayed them. Wasn't the prettiest performance but well deserved. We looked so much fitter than them at the end - they were pretty much out on their feet.

I hadn't realised there was so much celebration out on the pitch - you would have thought we'd have won it. I get the relief, i really do, but i hope Italy dont use that as motivation. Im already nervous for Sunday. 

Just now, TonyTonyTony said:

I like to watch games after things have settled, and had a replay going in my office this afternoon. We definitely outplayed them. Wasn't the prettiest performance but well deserved. We looked so much fitter than them at the end - they were pretty much out on their feet.

I hadn't realised there was so much celebration out on the pitch - you would have thought we'd have won it. I get the relief, i really do, but i hope Italy dont use that as motivation. Im already nervous for Sunday. 

Go back another 24 hours and have a look how Italy celebrated......it was hardly muted.

Both teams will be ultra motivated, make no mistake about that, it's about whoever sticks to the plan best on the night.

2 hours ago, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

I would love all players to see this so that they can see just how much a little gesture (on whatever level)can mean to fans.

6 hours ago, MarcusX said:

Glad you managed to get tickets mate

Wasn't it more like 3-4 minutes? Was unreal. Thought I was watching a different team

Not sure you can call it a mistake, it worked. Grealish doesn't do the defensive work.

You can disagree whether the tactic was right to tighten up instead of go for the kill but you cant call it a mistake because it worked

53 passes without Denmark getting near the ball...............

Had to look back at the match today to check I was not going mad, as it got no mention last night nor where any replies shown.

Yep, for all the shouting about the penalty,  Kasper got away with the most blatant ‘picking up a back pass’ you will ever see. Defender just plays it back to him, it’s a bit weak, he is under pressure and he just picks it up. Should have been one of those fun free kicks two yards from the line, and not seen one of those for years!

Bad calls were far from all one way.

It is wholesome of the other home nations to want just and fair decisions in all football matches. It's a shame that social media didn't exist during the 1986 World Cup, Beckham's red card in 1998, Campbell's goal against Portugal in 2004, Lampard's 'goal' versus Germany in 2010. It's nice to know they would've been calling our opponents cheats after those games too.

Archived