IGNORED

Semi Final #2 - England v. Denmark Matchday Thread

CyderInACan

I've been loving all the comments on social media today about how disrespectful England fans are by booing the opponents National Anthem.

Football is one of the most partizan sports in the world, it's almost tribal. It's the job of the home fans to make your ground a fortress, a place where teams fear to go. You don't want teams to come to your place and think oooh this is nice and friendly.

Just look at the games in general last season without fans. There was hardly any home advantage and why was that? Because the home fans were not making it uncomfortable for the away teams. It's our job as supporters

So surely booing the National Anthem of the opposing team is not being disrespectful, it is purely about making an intimidating atmosphere, letting the other team know you are in our playground now. 

On 08/07/2021 at 00:04, Mihai said:

Thanks for accepting my opinion, mate ! Yes, I still belive that England would have scored a goal even without a penalty because Denmark players were very tired while England was looking totally fresh ( great training here I swear it is unbelievable after a long and fast season with 60-70 games played by every top player ). 

Judging by the game management, I think too that England should be into the Final. It could be nice to see England vs Spain for a nice game, because Italy won't open so much for sure and England has moments of high pressing and fluid football but sometimes they turn into a more defensive team but again at times they will press the gas pedal and do some nice attacks. 

I never liked Italy and I hope Gareth will try to have a more attacking game with Italy being Humilated like in 2012. 

On 08/07/2021 at 00:20, Mihai said:

You should see Romania now, but you can see it only in the qualifiers haha, we couldn't beat Iceland.

England is not shit, there are great players that are young and can become even better. And I see Sterling, Sancho, Foden, Grealish as a very good and tehnique footballers. I don't think England have boring players, just a boring manager which as you said really want a result and doesn't care about other aspects of the game, which is fair because England is hungry for trophies.

And about City, for the last 15 years of pain I would love a Nigel Pearson Italian Job next season with 35 wins with 1-0 and 11 draws with 0-0 haha, i really want to see City in PL.

Final is a bit of a tossup for me. Italy you critique their approach but I remember them dominating us in 2012 for the most part, won on pens and in 2014 they had the better in possession albeit we had more chances- and this tournament they have been pretty high pressing in the main, certainly compared to a number of past Italy sides...

Think the two best sides made the final anyway, over the course of the tournament.

Game itself, enjoyable- showed character- conceding first and rallying, excellent- and as others have said those significant periods of possession towards the end. Make no mistake, that was a good side we beat.

Penalty? Possibly not, worthy winners in any case? Yes. Post Half time and especially into extra time definitely the pressure and tempo upped and a good degree of dominance.

6 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Game itself, enjoyable- showed character- conceding first and rallying, excellent- and as others have said those significant periods of possession towards the end. Make no mistake, that was a good side we beat.

Penalty? Possibly not, worthy winners in any case? Yes. Post Half time and especially into extra time definitely the pressure and tempo upped and a good degree of dominance.

Indeed.

penalty? No. Previous penalty appeal, it was blatant pen.

Denmark FK for their goal, incredibly soft.

We were the only team wanting to win, so when someone asks if I fee guilty. Not at all.

If someone can convince me that we can beat Italy that would make me less nervous.

10 minutes ago, RUSSEL85 said:

Indeed.

We were the only team wanting to win, so when someone asks if I fee guilty. Not at all.

If someone can convince me that we can beat Italy that would make me less nervous.

Have to say that I thought the previous (Kane) penalty appeal was no more than 50/50. 

But agree that the Denmark FK was similar to the England pen that was given.

It was football, and some difficult decisions for the ref. I prefer VAR when it’s clear that it will only change a 100% nailed on mistake and not just take a different view.

I don’t feel guilty: although don’t see the “hate” directed towards England that others do. Maybe I look at the wrong social media. Most of what I’ve seen is that England got a “generous” penalty. Which we did. 

Can’t convince you (or myself) I’m afraid, except that it’s just one game and we know anything can happen in one game.

19 hours ago, MarcusX said:

Glad you managed to get tickets mate

Wasn't it more like 3-4 minutes? Was unreal. Thought I was watching a different team

Not sure you can call it a mistake, it worked. Grealish doesn't do the defensive work.

You can disagree whether the tactic was right to tighten up instead of go for the kill but you cant call it a mistake because it worked

Just this. The way they held onto that ball, and mostly at the right end of the pitch, was just brilliant. Probably the best period of footballing technique they showed all night. Not great to watch - except in the last minutes of a game like that and when it comes off!

19 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Just this. The way they held onto that ball, and mostly at the right end of the pitch, was just brilliant. Probably the best period of footballing technique they showed all night. Not great to watch - except in the last minutes of a game like that and when it comes off!

Also our players have learned how to rest in possession, the way Man City do for instance.

In the WC semi final against Croatia we simply ran out of energy. Now we have periods when we slow the game down and pass it around to conserve energy then attack in bursts. Hence Sterling for instance was still full of running after 120 minutes.

Smart coaching and well executed.

9 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Also our players have learned how to rest in possession, the way Man City do for instance.

In the WC semi final against Croatia we simply ran out of energy. Now we have periods when we slow the game down and pass it around to conserve energy then attack in bursts. Hence Sterling for instance was still full of running after 120 minutes.

The way we (Southgate to be more precise!) used our subs must have helped there too.

35 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Have to say that I thought the previous (Kane) penalty appeal was no more than 50/50. 

It was football, and some difficult decisions for the ref. I prefer VAR when it’s clear that it will only change a 100% nailed on mistake and not just take a different view.

I don’t feel guilty: although don’t see the “hate” directed towards England that others do. Maybe I look at the wrong social media. Most of what I’ve seen is that England got a “generous” penalty. Which we did. 

Can’t convince you (or myself) I’m afraid, except that it’s just one game and we know anything can happen in one game.

Trust me, you've been looking at the "wrong" (I would call it "right" though) social media. Some of the comments are literally nothing other than anti-English vitriol bordering on irrational hatred that if repeated by English people about them would be called out as racism, nothing less. Even Marca the Spanish newspaper stuck the boot in.....as I said yesterday if the Sun or Mail wrote stuff like that about the Spanish there would be tens of thousands of people in this country up in arms about it. It's just a fact of life that we have to live with that people will not let us forget our past even though none of us are responsible for it.

That said, it hasn't offended or hurt me in the slightest, I think it's brilliantly entertaining how well and truly rattled these people are.........

1 hour ago, RUSSEL85 said:

Indeed.

48 minutes ago, italian dave said:

I have been pretty pissed off with the amount of fuss made over the Pen, not least by our "own" press. I almost excuse them as they just revert to type as scum, hating anything that seems it might be good.
Anyway I digress.
Sterling running at speed nock from the right, knock from the left. Now they might in themselves be blatant Pens, but as mentioned, the Ref had been giving those free kicks everywhere on the pitch, so why not in the area. The FK leading to the Denmark goal was debatable , plus there was one piece in the Press pointing out that the Denmark wall was supposed to be a metre away from the England wall and it wasn't. 
The Kane one, isn't a Pen for me. And VAR? The one thing you can say, the Ref didn't make a big error in judgement. It then comes down to opinions and you'll never get everyone to agree.

The question , how would you feel if it was against us? I would feel pissed off, but then I did with the last couple of Pens against England, which were blatant. We must be one of the only Countries that build our Sportsmen/women up, only to revel in trying to knock them down. 

1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

Trust me, you've been looking at the "wrong" (I would call it "right" though) social media. Some of the comments are literally nothing other than anti-English vitriol bordering on irrational hatred that if repeated by English people about them would be called out as racism, nothing less. Even Marca the Spanish newspaper stuck the boot in.....as I said yesterday if the Sun or Mail wrote stuff like that about the Spanish there would be tens of thousands of people in this country up in arms about it. It's just a fact of life that we have to live with that people will not let us forget our past even though none of us are responsible for it.

That said, it hasn't offended or hurt me in the slightest, I think it's brilliantly entertaining how well and truly rattled these people are.........

Maybe I'm just not good at finding it! 

I had a look at the Marca website and cant see too much on there. Generous penalty, controversial decisions, but who'd argue with that? Certainly nothing like the bollox from the tabloids here when we play Germany.

They've got an interesting photo on there that I hadn't seen before, which seems to show that as Sterling started his run into the box (when he got the pen) there was a second ball on the pitch, and quite close by.

Agree though that it's all very entertaining - although of course that's easier to say when things go you way!

18 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Maybe I'm just not good at finding it! 

I had a look at the Marca website and cant see too much on there. Generous penalty, controversial decisions, but who'd argue with that? Certainly nothing like the bollox from the tabloids here when we play Germany.

They've got an interesting photo on there that I hadn't seen before, which seems to show that as Sterling started his run into the box (when he got the pen) there was a second ball on the pitch, and quite close by.

Agree though that it's all very entertaining - although of course that's easier to say when things go you way!

There was a very salty Marca quote yesterday, basically English this, English that. However, it really doesn't matter, you aren't worked up about it and I'm certainly not either. Whatever anyone says and however much hot air they breathe it's Italy and England walking out onto that pitch on Sunday.......if 95% of the football supporting world wants England to get done then so be it, we'll all survive another day!!

4 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

There was a very salty Marca quote yesterday, basically English this, English that. However, it really doesn't matter, you aren't worked up about it and I'm certainly not either. Whatever anyone says and however much hot air they breathe it's Italy and England walking out onto that pitch on Sunday.......if 95% of the football supporting world wants England to get done then so be it, we'll all survive another day!!

I saw that also, they had the cheek to insinuate we were cheaters. This from an Italian side, hypocrisy is astonishing. They sound nervous, and they should be. They are a good side but think they are tiring and we have a better bench. We just need to take our chances.

3 hours ago, chinapig said:

some what agree. However if a team has the comfort to conserve energy means that the opposing team are either saving there strength as well and sitting back or setting up a strategic ball game. could be but unlikely it is smart coaching or just a period of the game that some times happens when things settle down.

Sterling was full of energy and so he should be as he is paid well. More diving skills in the pool for sterling I think over the next couple of days. ?

56 minutes ago, City oz said:

some what agree. However if a team has the comfort to conserve energy means that the opposing team are either saving there strength as well and sitting back or setting up a strategic ball game. could be but unlikely it is smart coaching or just a period of the game that some times happens when things settle down.

Sterling was full of energy and so he should be as he is paid well. More diving skills in the pool for sterling I think over the next couple of days. ?

I think you are underestimating how much energy is used following the ball around, physical and mental

2 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

Hi, could you link to the salty quotes please. Thanks.

It’s almost as if no footballer for any team/country has EVER taken a dive to win a penalty. 
For decades England were seen as amateurs at the ‘dark arts’ of the game, whilst pretty much every other country dived, cheated and conned their way to results. 
All of a sudden; England get a pretty soft penalty (that wasn’t actually a dive, just soft) and we’re the worlds biggest cheats. 

It’s so pleasing seeing the amount of vitriol directed at us. I love it. 
No one likes us, we don’t care. That’s what should be belted out at Wembley on Sunday. 

2 hours ago, RUSSEL85 said:

I saw that also, they had the cheek to insinuate we were cheaters. This from an Italian side, hypocrisy is astonishing. They sound nervous, and they should be. They are a good side but think they are tiring and we have a better bench. We just need to take our chances.

That's just in the nature of football fans though, isn't it? You can see it routinely on OTIB during the season. When City concede a soft penalty it's an outrage, cheating ref, diving opponents etc. When we win the same penalty it's a lucky break, 50/50 that went our way. When the opposing team is ahead and delay taking a throw in, make the most of an injury, it's cheating; yet we call for our players to develop a tougher side and when they do it's 'game management'!!

14 hours ago, Slack Bladder said:

I've been loving all the comments on social media today about how disrespectful England fans are by booing the opponents National Anthem.

Football is one of the most partizan sports in the world, it's almost tribal. It's the job of the home fans to make your ground a fortress, a place where teams fear to go. You don't want teams to come to your place and think oooh this is nice and friendly.

Just look at the games in general last season without fans. There was hardly any home advantage and why was that? Because the home fans were not making it uncomfortable for the away teams. It's our job as supporters

So surely booing the National Anthem of the opposing team is not being disrespectful, it is purely about making an intimidating atmosphere, letting the other team know you are in our playground now. 

Exactly.  It’s almost as if no other country have ever booed a national anthem before. 
Happens everywhere. I’m 100% certain that if the game was in Rome that the Italians would roundly boo our anthem. I don’t know why people get so wound up about it. 
GNev is right……

9 minutes ago, Harry said:

It’s almost as if no footballer for any team/country has EVER taken a dive to win a penalty. 
For decades England were seen as amateurs at the ‘dark arts’ of the game, whilst pretty much every other country dived, cheated and conned their way to results. 
All of a sudden; England get a pretty soft penalty (that wasn’t actually a dive, just soft) and we’re the worlds biggest cheats. 

It’s so pleasing seeing the amount of vitriol directed at us. I love it. 
No one likes us, we don’t care. That’s what should be belted out at Wembley on Sunday. 

Perhaps the new National Anthem............

Everyone except England fans all rooting for Italy on Sunday............that virtuous European Morals Powerhouse whose players don't go over easily, who never had fans in large numbers booing the Spanish National Anthem the other night, a country where corruption in football has never ever happened and where monkey noises directed at Romelu Lukaku have been taken completely the wrong way by the player himself (how ******* dare he the cheeky Belgian bastard) and most certainly aren't racist in any way, shape or form.

I haven't actually got a problem with Italy tbh but if you cannot read into the comments being made about us that they are no more and no less than anti-English vitriol from people who would be called "racist" in this country if they were English and saying the same about other countries then there's no helping you!!

Rewatched the highlights on my lunchbreak and I totally forgot how many chances we actually had, we were all over them and looking back at the "England robbed Denmark" comments are just pure bullshite. 

Our midfield really does kill the game and tones it down, something I'm not sure how the Italians will handle. Germany tried similar fast paced football Vs us and look how that turned out... 

1 minute ago, Sturny said:

Rewatched the highlights on my lunchbreak and I totally forgot how many chances we actually had, we were all over them and looking back at the "England robbed Denmark" comments are just pure bullshite. 

Our midfield really does kill the game and tones it down, something I'm not sure how the Italians will handle. Germany tried similar fast paced football Vs us and look how that turned out... 

Denmark did start well and then ran out of gas. Whatever people say about us (and people were predicting we would be getting a hiding against Germany earlier in the tournament) we obviously aren't an easy team to play against over the full 90 minutes. Whether Italy will find it easier, we'll soon see.

33 minutes ago, Harry said:

Exactly.  It’s almost as if no other country have ever booed a national anthem before. 
Happens everywhere. I’m 100% certain that if the game was in Rome that the Italians would roundly boo our anthem. I don’t know why people get so wound up about it. 
GNev is right……

I saw that tweet by GN and he is spot on. To be honest all this vitriol and abuse from the rest of Europe has been bubbling up for decades made even worse by our exit from the European union - they absolutely hate us and i for one find it absolutely hilarious. Getting called ‘’cheats’’ by the ******* Italians of all people haha it’s laughable. 

7 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Denmark did start well and then ran out of gas. Whatever people say about us (and people were predicting we would be getting a hiding against Germany earlier in the tournament) we obviously aren't an easy team to play against over the full 90 minutes. Whether Italy will find it easier, we'll soon see.

I really don't understand them running out of gas so easily to be honest, it was very sudden, it was like they celebrated after their goal so hard it knackered them out haha 

7 minutes ago, Sturny said:

I really don't understand them running out of gas so easily to be honest, it was very sudden, it was like they celebrated after their goal so hard it knackered them out haha 

I just think we play at high intensity like the Italians also do. Spain seemed to be the only country (v Italy) that had an answer to it....which is basically make the high intensity team run around chasing the ball for long periods at high intensity!!

6 minutes ago, EmissionImpossible said:

Okay……if you do stumble across them. Please share. Many Thanks.

You seem a bit confused. There is no legal obligation for me to post evidence (you can believe me or not, that's fine and your shout) and I'm not employed as your PA. Many Thanks.

Archived