IGNORED

Semi Final #2 - England v. Denmark Matchday Thread

CyderInACan

22 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

There was one angle where you could see true contact.  On the soft side, but as I always say, bet it would’ve been given if outside the box.

Thought we generally played well.  Denmark are no mugs, bound to be some nerves.  Our subs can be starters, their subs were second string.  We got the goal, better side by far.

I don’t think we had to dig as deep in ET as Italy did we Spain, so hopefully extra day won’t make too much difference.

Only real contact was hip on hip, but Sterling was already going down at that point.

We deserved the win, but never a pen.

1 minute ago, Scrumpylegs said:

You do make some fair points but I think that the most important thing about tournament ‘knock out’ football is to progress to the next round. Nothing else matters - who remembers those teams that played well but lost? England have done well to win - however they can, ugly, or pretty -  it makes no difference and still takes you to the same place. We now have a shot at winning the final. If this is boring for others to watch then I have no problem with this. In Sport you need to be ruthless - all winners know this, and as an Englishman I’m glad to see that we have finally recognised that we need to do whatever it takes to progress. Roll on Sunday!!

I think the problem is we have rose tinted specs. For me England have generally only ever played well In the plucky losing games at big tournaments, and we live off that game. Biggest example italia 90. Now it was a great tournament in terms of being there, but lest be honest we were shite, and then.played well against Germany and lost.  That is England in tournaments for me. Rose tinted spectacles say we were great, reality tells us otherwise. Likewise 96, we live off the Netherlands game, but the other games were tight against with average quality football 

For me this tournament we have played well without being spectacular, but certainly consistently better than any other tournament in my lifetime 

2 minutes ago, cityexile said:

It’s always thin lines. The Kane one could on another day be given. On another day they don’t get a soft free kick that leads to a wonderful goal. It was a soft penalty but seen them given, and we were well on top at that stage and deserved it.

Having been knocked out with people punching the ball in our net and having goals not given a yard over the line I am  not going be wearing sack cloth and ashes when a break goes our way. Think there were times we seriously lost our way, but just like Italy yesterday found a way.

Correct. I'm sure if it was Denmark getting the penalty they would have taken it. You win some, you lose some, tonight we won. Looking forward to Sunday, I think it will be an entirely different game, hopefully a  higher tempo and performance.

1 hour ago, BanburyRed said:

Wow, that's bizarre, Trippier on for Grealish.....in Gareth we trust?

Just shows he doesnt trust Grealish. AT all. Unless he maybe goes to a bigger club, I cant see Grealish ever playing unless we need a goal. 

So, what do we do now ???

Seriously though, WHAT a relief that was, it was very tense and I think on balance we deserved to go through and hats off to the Danes, they have vastly improved during the past 5 years.

Onto Sunday - I think Italy edge us, but it might suit us having the relief of making the Final

7 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Jesz. The scoring on the BBC site must have all been done by those north of the border.

Mcguire 6.2. What’s that all about? He was immense. 

For me, he got better after his yellow card. Just raised his game.

I was in Turin for the WC semi final in 1990 and Wembley for the Euro semi final in 1996 but have never been as jumpy as tonight.

Maybe, just maybe, this team, given how young it is, are the start of something and we might finally have a team, rather than individuals, with the talent to win something? Hopefully, before I shuffle off this earth, they do.

COME ON ENGLAND. :englandflag:

48 minutes ago, petehinton said:

There’s two things I’ve always stood by in football.

Anything can happen in a derby. Anything can happen in a final. 

Thjs could really go either way. But either way what an absolutely pleasure it is to watch this England team play, managed by an absolute gent. 

You gonna get him on osib? ?

56 minutes ago, Mihai said:

With the risk of being hated by some of you I will tell you my honest opinion as a England fan but neutral in the same time ( cause if Romania would be a good team for sure i will support then any day at Euros)

I wanted England to win since the tournament started but England never impressed me in any game. Is not because of the quality of the players but because of the coaches.

In the group stage England looked like some of Italy clone and I expected that to change but it didn't happen to be honest.

Yesterday I felt nice about the game and a bit sad for Spain, which was so unlucky. 

Today I was hoping for a nice game, instead the first half was terrible for me as a neutral fan (which wanted England to win). Second half the team tried a bit more but against a team like Denmark England should score but they couldn't. In the stoppage time that was not a penalty and Denmark played in 10 for 15 mins while England was wasting time.

The conclusion:

A pretty poor game judging the quality difference between players and their fitness. Premier League players get the best fitness probably in the entire world while some of the obscure Denmark players for sure dont. 

So, a 2-1 win from a questionable penalty and wasting time for 15 minutes against a drained team which played in 10 man. Everything happened with England playing at Home with 40k supporters.

Judging by the quality of football and the beauty of this game, the Final Italy vs England is for sure the ugliest one at this Tournament.

I hope for an England win but for sure will be a boring game. 

Good luck finding someone that gives a shit about any of that.

God, that was tense tonight. 

Overall I thought England played well. We started brightly, then Denmark imposed themselves on the game and when they scored I feared the worst, especially after Sterling’s close range shot was saved. But we got the equaliser quickly and as the game went on we got stronger. 

Awful penalty by Kane, but thankfully the rebound landed perfectly for him. 

Now more tension to come on Sunday. I don’t know if my nerves can stand it!!!!

43 minutes ago, TRL said:

Can't agree, first time I can remember in my 47 years where we look like we can play football rather than just hoof and run merchants of the past.

I agree it probably was not great watching for the neutral, but for a England team to be able to pass and trap a ball is something of a bonus,add to that not leaking goals and creating I'd say we look good, but not great. I so wonder how you think our teams of the last 20 to 30 years look better. In my mind they have looked poor for years.

But good to hear a neutals view so keep posting. For once we look like a European team I.e. can pass, can control and can go down and I've for decent game management 

Yea, I knew England National Team was not that good lately i remember even Romania defeated England two times in 98 and 2000 if i am not mistaken. I am not 100% neutral but I couldn't find other way cause yea, it is hard to explain. I love english football, i am a true Bristol City fan and after Romania, England is the national team that I like. 

You are right and I never ever wanted to be rude about England.

There are a few types of football fans :  

-Fans that like results more than anything

-Fans that like good football

-Fans that likes both results and quality football ( like me ). For this category of people it remains a strange feeling after games. Even with Bristol City, when we win but we play like sh*t, I am happy but in the same time I am kinda sad and worried about our next games. Do you feel me ? 

56 minutes ago, Mihai said:

With the risk of being hated by some of you I will tell you my honest opinion as a England fan but neutral in the same time ( cause if Romania would be a good team for sure i will support then any day at Euros)

I wanted England to win since the tournament started but England never impressed me in any game. Is not because of the quality of the players but because of the coaches.

In the group stage England looked like some of Italy clone and I expected that to change but it didn't happen to be honest.

Yesterday I felt nice about the game and a bit sad for Spain, which was so unlucky. 

Today I was hoping for a nice game, instead the first half was terrible for me as a neutral fan (which wanted England to win). Second half the team tried a bit more but against a team like Denmark England should score but they couldn't. In the stoppage time that was not a penalty and Denmark played in 10 for 15 mins while England was wasting time.

The conclusion:

A pretty poor game judging the quality difference between players and their fitness. Premier League players get the best fitness probably in the entire world while some of the obscure Denmark players for sure dont. 

So, a 2-1 win from a questionable penalty and wasting time for 15 minutes against a drained team which played in 10 man. Everything happened with England playing at Home with 40k supporters.

Judging by the quality of football and the beauty of this game, the Final Italy vs England is for sure the ugliest one at this Tournament.

I hope for an England win but for sure will be a boring game. 

I’m always interested by the views of neutrals when watching England. I don’t disagree, I don’t think it was our best game but we really grew into it and they were on the ropes until the penalty. I’m fairly confident we would’ve scored anyway even if that penalty didn’t go in. 

I’m not sure about the time wasting point, our game management was absolutely perfect without shithousing our way to victory. We didn’t feign injury or make pointless changes, we just kept the ball. I think at one point we had it for three minutes without a Danish player touching it, that’s fantastic. 

Finals usually are boring; I was at the final of the last Euros when Portugal won but it’s far from the greatest game I’ve seen. I strongly believe that we deserve to be in the final. We’ve been pretty convincing in almost of the games and have only been behind for 9 minutes across six games. 

36 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Only real contact was hip on hip, but Sterling was already going down at that point.

We deserved the win, but never a pen.

It was very soft as was the free kick for Denmarks goal.I thought the penalty shout in the first half was a stronger claim. I try to cut referees a bit of slack but thought he was poor for both sides tonight.Really glad it didn't go to penalties. I reckon Schmeichel would have saved at least two.

Archived