IGNORED

Semi Final #2 - England v. Denmark Matchday Thread

CyderInACan

I think this might be a game too far for Phillips. He’s essentially a DM but is playing in a higher role which he’s not overly familiar with. He’s missed a couple of runners, lost 3 tackles and been megged twice. As an advanced option he doesn’t have the intricate movement to open up a solid defence, he ends up just being a body. 
He’s had a good tournament but I think this game is one for Rice to sit deep on his own and have Mount central alongside him with Grealish in the roaming AM role. 

Just seemed to lose it totally for 20 mins in that half. Showed character to get back in it, but cripes do we make it hard for ourselves. Pickford all at sea a couple of times, Sterling playing well but one of those days for him finishing wise, Kane playing a great QB role. 

Denmark look more comfortable with their system than we do, but still there to be won. Denmark tired in the second half v Czechs so everything is crossed.

4 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Remember when itv cut to adverts during an England game at the World Cup and we missed England scoring? ??

What do you mean remember, none of us are able to forget!

6 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

Surely they should show it on the Beeb, too. Who gets the final?

HTV.  Rodge is commentating and Mark Lawrenson is analyst  

3 minutes ago, Harry said:

I think this might be a game too far for Phillips. He’s essentially a DM but is playing in a higher role which he’s not overly familiar with. He’s missed a couple of runners, lost 3 tackles and been megged twice. As an advanced option he doesn’t have the intricate movement to open up a solid defence, he ends up just being a body. 
He’s had a good tournament but I think this game is one for Rice to sit deep on his own and have Mount central alongside him with Grealish in the roaming AM role. 

More likely Henderson will come on I suspect with attacking subs later in the game.

3 minutes ago, Harry said:

Agreed. There was a spell of 10 mins or so before the Denmark goal where Rice was basically having to do everything in terms of trying to track runners, win the ball and get play moving because Phillips was constantly out of position.

2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Agree with Ian Wright there. He saw it right at the last moment and with the pace and dip. Would have been an outstanding save if he managed to get a strong enough glove on it to tip it over I think

The shot was in the middle of the goal but Pickford had moved to his left as the kick was taken. Stay in the middle and you can dive either way.

Archived