IGNORED

Han Noah Massengo

GrahamC

20 today, so happy birthday to him.

Incredible really, been a regular in the squad for 2 seasons already, 52 league games as a teenager & he’s younger than Britton, Janneh, Morton, Nurse or Bakinson.

Last season he was one of very few who could hold their head up in the second half of the season under Pearson as he kept going, putting everything in whilst team mates crumbled & results were awful.

He’s a credit to himself & his family & let’s hope he kicks on, his potential is absolutely massive.

28 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

20 today, so happy birthday to him.

Incredible really, been a regular in the squad for 2 seasons already, 52 league games as a teenager & he’s younger than Britton, Janneh, Morton, Nurse or Bakinson.

Last season he was one of very few who could hold their head up in the second half of the season under Pearson as he kept going, putting everything in whilst team mates crumbled & results were awful.

He’s a credit to himself & his family & let’s hope he kicks on, his potential is absolutely massive.

Agreed. Easy to forget he's only 20. He's got such a high ceiling and has so many of the fundamentals and game IQ you'd expect of players 8 or 9 years his senior. This means he can be moulded somewhat and I think his final position might end up being more of an offensively minded midfielder (in the style of Brownhill) than the deeper role he's mainly played for us.

I heard a really interesting piece on Saka on the Athletic England podcast. They were talking about how his ceiling is so high because he has a good grasp of lots of the more advanced skills (awareness, game IQ) than most players his age. I think Massengo is very similar in that respect and I expect him to progress at a very rapid rate as he grows into his man strength and gains more confidence.

I'm aware that Holden wasn't a huge fan of his and was fairly happy for him to leave. Thank goodness he has gone and we have a manager who rates Massengo and has the skills to actually develop him as a player.

4 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Agreed. Easy to forget he's only 20. He's got such a high ceiling and has so many of the fundamentals and game IQ you'd expect of players 8 or 9 his senior. This means he can be moulded somewhat and I think his final position might end up being more of an offensively minded midfielder (in the style of Brownhill) than the deeper role he's mainly played for us.

I heard a really interesting piece on Saka on the Athletic England podcast. They were talking about how his ceiling is so high because he has a good grasp of lots of the more advanced skills (awareness, game IQ) than most players his age. I think Massengo is very similar in that respect and I expect him to progress at a very rapid rate as he grows into his man strength and gains more confidence.

I'm aware that Holden wasn't a huge fan of his and was fairly happy for him to leave. Thank goodness he has gone and we have a manager who rates Massengo and has the skills to actually develop him as a player.

I've got to disagree, sorry.  

Personally I can't see what HNM brings.  Doesn't score, doesn't assist, doesn't defend well.  He runs around a lot, I'll give him that.  I understand he's young, but I don't see anything to suggest he's going to be this amazing player.  

1 minute ago, AshtonYate said:

Personally I can't see what HNM brings.  Doesn't score, doesn't assist, doesn't defend well.  He runs around a lot, I'll give him that.  I understand he's young, but I don't see anything to suggest he's going to be this amazing player.  

Can't you be nice on his birthday?.....

6 minutes ago, AshtonYate said:

Very surprising if you can't see "anything". I think it's pretty obvious he's very talented and has a high ceiling. 

Let's see how he gets on this season under a manager who actually has the ability to develop players properly and with some experience around him in James & King who'll be fantastic role models for him. 

Bobby Reid was 4 years older than Massengo before he started realising his potential. Joe Bryan was on loan at Plymouth and a bit-part player here around the same age. Both were well behind Massengo in their development at this point and a few years later both have been Premier League players.

4 minutes ago, AshtonYate said:

He’s no genius, so won’t bring all the components together himself, but he does have the components. I really hope we have a coaching set up that will do this.

I don't know why &  just a hunch really, but I feel like he's regretted coming here. He obviosuly came here for a learning stepping stone but I reckon we're more like a stone in his boot on his journey. 

Anyway, enough of my pessimism. He's still progressed as a footballer here, which I guess is his main goal. I believe we're yet to see the best of him here, big season coming up for him.

55 minutes ago, AshtonYate said:

Well……..Nige really rates him and that’s all that matters. When he joined us other more influential managers that LJ were surprised that City had managed to sign him………..:cool2: He was apparently sought after by far bigger clubs that Bristol City.

If Massengo had a weakness it was his lightweight frame. He had a lads physique but he’ll have beefed up considerably since we last him ‘live’ and I’m certain we’ll see a much stronger Massengo running out for City this season.

9 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Very surprising if you can't see "anything". I think it's pretty obvious he's very talented and has a high ceiling. 

Let's see how he gets on this season under a manager who actually has the ability to develop players properly and with some experience around him in James & King who'll be fantastic role models for him. 

Bobby Reid was 4 years older than Massengo before he started realising his potential. Joe Bryan was on loan at Plymouth and a bit-part player here around the same age. Both were well behind Massengo in their development at this point and a few years later both have been Premier League players.

I’ve heard 18 year old debutants be screamed at for being f***** s*** at Ashton gate. Beggars belief that there are fans who do not understand that young players usually improve drastically.  If Massengo improves even a bit then we have a very good player 

16 minutes ago, AshtonYate said:

Morning Dean,

How’s it going at Stoke?

1 minute ago, Sturny said:

I don't know why &  just a hunch really, but I feel like he's regretted coming here. He obviosuly came here for a learning stepping stone but I reckon we're more like a stone in his boot on his journey. 

Anyway, enough of my pessimism. He's still progressed as a footballer here, which I guess is his main goal. I believe we're yet to see the best of him here, big season coming up for him.

There were a few rumours about his family not being that happy with how he was being managed. I think that was under Holden however so hopefully that'll all change under Pearson.

Whether he regrets it or not, coming to England so early in his career (combined with his schooling as a younger player in France) will 100% make him a better player in the long run. 

1 minute ago, Sturny said:

Well most of us regret starting to support City at some point so I don't see why some players wouldn't regret coming here?. He is getting the game time he craved and an opportunity to show the world what he is made of and doing OK (excellent for a 20 yo). 

If he is regretting it then hopefully Nige can turn that regret around. 

Think it’s evident from my posts that I rate him highly, but I’ll take this opportunity to rave about him again.

Got high hopes for him this season, showed exactly what he can do when Pearson came in and I hope he’s still trusted to play start for us. Would like to see a lot of starts this season, not every single week, but he’s deserving of his place in and around the starting XI. He’s incredibly talented for a 20 year old, if he was English and out of our academy there would be ridiculous hype around him.

This will almost certainly be his last season at the club, if plays as consistently well as he did last season under Pearson, we won’t be able to keep hold of him.

1 hour ago, AshtonYate said:

Medium-sized Nige sees something in him and that's all that matters!

:city:

1 hour ago, AshtonYate said:

Out of interest, did you notice as the season went on that he was given slightly different roles.  Previously he was very much the player to hold position, not join in very much (apart from his very early games until LJ put the restrictions on him).  We saw later last season that he was sometimes given minutes in more advanced roles.

What we started to see was a few more shots, a few more creative passes etc.  He didn’t get the “1” in the goal or assist column, but the underlying numbers point to improvement in creativity.

So, let’s see what he can do dependent on role.  If he’s asked to play more like Korey Smith then his output in terms of goals and assists will likely be low, but he still contributes, just in a different way.

if we think he might play more in a Brownhill type role (see PF bold bit below), then let’s look at Josh’s contribution in a more attacking focussed role in his first season here….16/17 - aged 20 (Dec 95), so older than what HNM is now.  1 goal, 1 assist.  The goal came in the penultimate match of the season (Brighton - Matty Taylor cross), so his output would have you question him too.  But as @And Its Smithsays, young players improve.  Let’s also look at his availability too.  For a player who’s going through body change he’s been available every game.

From watching him, I think everything points to him being a v.good player.  It depends whether you judge a player purely on goals and assists.  I think he defends well too, has lost a bit of that urge to chase the ball, something a 50 Cap 26 year old still does.

But all about opinions.

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Agreed. Easy to forget he's only 20. He's got such a high ceiling and has so many of the fundamentals and game IQ you'd expect of players 8 or 9 years his senior. This means he can be moulded somewhat and I think his final position might end up being more of an offensively minded midfielder (in the style of Brownhill) than the deeper role he's mainly played for us.

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Out of interest, did you notice as the season went on that he was given slightly different roles.  Previously he was very much the player to hold position, not join in very much (apart from his very early games until LJ put the restrictions on him).  We saw later last season that he was sometimes given minutes in more advanced roles.

What we started to see was a few more shots, a few more creative passes etc.  He didn’t get the “1” in the goal or assist column, but the underlying numbers point to improvement in creativity.

So, let’s see what he can do dependent on role.  If he’s asked to play more like Korey Smith then his output in terms of goals and assists will likely be low, but he still contributes, just in a different way.

if we think he might play more in a Brownhill type role (see PF bold bit below), then let’s look at Josh’s contribution in a more attacking focussed role in his first season here….16/17 - aged 20 (Dec 95), so older than what HNM is now.  1 goal, 1 assist.  The goal came in the penultimate match of the season (Brighton - Matty Taylor cross), so his output would have you question him too.  But as @And Its Smithsays, young players improve.  Let’s also look at his availability too.  For a player who’s going through body change he’s been available every game.

From watching him, I think everything points to him being a v.good player.  It depends whether you judge a player purely on goals and assists.  I think he defends well too, has lost a bit of that urge to chase the ball, something a 50 Cap 26 year old still does.

But all about opinions.

Thankyou.....voice of reason ?

Archived