IGNORED

Pearson Interview today

Waconda

Ultimately NP knows that we can't start the season, like we finished the last one.

We need to hit the ground running, and build up momentum. To do that, i think he's going to have to be hard on the players.

Apart from Atkinson, James, and King. This is the same group that let us down spectacularly from late Feb onwards. James and King will know about his standards, so they won't be surprised.

As for the others; i think there's going to be a few more casualties before the end of next month. NP has to break the culture that set in, and mould this group's mentality.

We're still waiting of course for Kalas and Nagy to come back, plus Wells from the Concaf.

A few injuries as well, with Cundy, Williams, and Semenyeo feeling their way into the pre-season.

Next season is not going to be pretty, but NP knows that to stay in this division now; we need evrryone to pull together or ship out.

Maybe players had last seasons way of work still . Train but just do enough so do the tests pass them but just about don’t bust a gut . So just been made clear work hard work our way or go . Maybe just how deep the malaise has been where just enough was enough. So newsflash lads not any more feel just a wake call for a few. 

On 06/07/2021 at 21:42, Berkshire Red said:

Looks like he leaves the defence a little exposed going forward when perhaps he shouldn't. 

Fully expect him to get caught out on one of his runs early in his City career, we shall concede, fans will get on his back, he will be written off as another failed league one signing and will end up going to Peterborough the following season where he will thrive.

Wonder how much harder the players are being pushed than last season... the story of the players still not getting with it reminds me of the movie with the army drill instructor and private pyle.

Funny how he comes out and says that he doesn't really like pre season, can't remember many managers being so blunt about it. If the players all came back relatively fit then I guess its largely a time to mess with the players minds and change attitudes. How much of an impact that will end up having on the pitch over the course of a season who knows, but clearly something needs to change after last years showing.

15 hours ago, Fuber said:

I'd say COD improved after Pearson came in, before injury. Plus no doubting his effort. 

Can't be King, James, nor Atkinson or Simpson, as new and/or used to Nige's work ethic and expectations, Baker's done something right to earn a new deal, same for Andi. 

Younger Players, assume means the likes of Edwards, Scott, Towler, Pearson, Bell, Conway, among others. 

Bentley's well liked ergo same with Massengo; Kalas, Wells, Nagy have been on international duty. 

Leaves the likes of Vyner, Moore, Bakinson, DaSilva, Pring, Martin, Williams, Palmer. 

You can cross Williams off that list. NP said he hasn't been with the group at all so far.

18 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Do you have a link to the interview?

Seems a bit early to be throwing people under the bus publicly. A bit worrying

He didn't name any names..he merely stated that a few players were not buying into it........and then quite sinisterly said " A few are finding it hard to commit....and we know what the outcome of that will be"   Personally I love it!!,  because if they do not buy in to his vision, then we don't want them at the club anyway?  ?

15 minutes ago, maxjak said:

He didn't name any names..he merely stated that a few players were not buying into it........and then quite sinisterly said " A few are finding it hard to commit....and we know what the outcome of that will be"   Personally I love it!!,  because if they do not buy in to his vision, then we don't want them at the club anyway?  ?

Makes you wonder if this is why we appear to be a bit midfield heavy at the moment, as maybe a couple aren’t in his immediate plans, due to their committment.

Hopfully they will ether knuckle down, or get shipped out, though more likely just run their contract down and not feature in the first team squad.

Nige is a fantastic appointment, just what we needed.

I think most of us have this gut feeling, even those who can't help but nit pick.

A few more wasters to be booted out by the sound of - great, the sooner and more ignominiously the better afaic.

Love his interviews, tells it straight after years of managerial BS.

More power to your elbow Nige.

10 minutes ago, maxjak said:

How Shakesperian?    "Wastrels", I love it   Ha!

I just feel that if our players had employ ed even half the effort they reserve for selecting a stylish interior for their new Range Rovers into  playing football, we might have escaped without looking like a bunch of complete ***t*.

Good for you Nigel. This player-power nonsense always does my head in. Comments like, ‘he’s not playing for the manager’ ‘he’s lost the dressing room’

20 year old kids with too much money and no character or loyalty not playing for the team or manager.

NP is dead right ‘they know what will happen to them’

2 minutes ago, 054123 said:

Whether Pearson is successful or not, I don’t know.

I just enjoy a different sound and scene coming from the club.

Holden/Johnson had become boring.

Other than under Cotts, this feels like the first tme in many years that we’ve had a manager who won’t tolerate this club being taken for a ride by players.  It appears the players will be under no illusion now that the only way they’ll prosper at this club is through being committed to the cause

It’s so refreshing and could hopefully help create a togetherness between fans and players that’s been missing for far too long.

18 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

It’s so refreshing and could hopefully help create a togetherness between fans and players that’s been missing for far too long.

It could, and I hope it does. I believe NP could do well if given enough time. 

However he may not be able to move on some of these players who are not 'with the programme' that easily. Which could hamper his attempts at building the spirit he wants. 

I still feel we could be in for a very tough season. Despite all the positives about Nige our performances at the end of last season were pretty dire. Massive turnaround required. 

Pretty much every comment from any player, journo or fan from a club where Pearson has managed has said the same thing - that if you're not on board with what he's doing and get on the wrong side of him then you might as well start looking for a new club.

If any of our players haven't grasped that then frankly there's not a lot more that can be done for them.

Just now, robin_unreliant said:

However he may not be able to move on some of these players who are not 'with the programme' that easily. Which could hamper his attempts at building the spirit he wants. 

I still feel we could be in for a very tough season. Despite all the positives about Nige our performances at the end of last season were pretty dire. Massive turnaround required. 

Agreed about the limits to his power and the very tough season ahead. NP talks a good game about it being his way or goodbye but in terms of power there is only so much that can be done to change player attitudes and how many out of favour players can't be moved on? To build the type of squad mentality he wants will take time.

I am hopeful players returning from injury and the academy players may contribute more than the new signings and things will be ok but big changes can go both ways.

17 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

Completely agree there RU and I think that could be why he’s tempering our expectations by saying it’ll take a few transfer windows ..... not necessarily just for who we can get in, but who we can ship out!

4 hours ago, Dolman_Stand said:

Interviewer: Nigel, is the sky blue?

NP: I prefer not to focus on the colour of the sky.

NP: and actually I don't really like the sky anyway, so yeah, the sky better commit or it'll soon be looking for a new Earth

34 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

Agreed, being realistic mid table, with a lot more to shout about at AG, would be acceptable to me this year.

That's far preferable to being relegated, quite a likely outcome imo without Nige, and another manager being less ruthless in dealing with what had become a very problematic squad taking the club in only one direction.

I think we can look forward positively now - if we show some patience - initially to stabilisation while further building blocks are put in place, then fairly rapid improvement in both performances and finishing position.

I don't expect too much next season, but we're in safe hands now not only to retain our Championship status, but also to feel confident the club will be more enjoyable to support and make real progress over the next 2-3 years.

20 hours ago, Northern Red said:

It might be the case that there isn't any lack of intensity from anyone but he's dropping it in to keep people on their toes.

Absolutely, that’s the way I read it. He was saying that if there are those who don’t buy into it/can’t commit to what he’s trying to achieve, then they know where the door is. It felt more of a warning than an assertion as to what’s happening; surely it’s too early to see whether people are/aren’t committed to it. 

21 minutes ago, Hartleysbeard said:

Absolutely, that’s the way I read it. He was saying that if there are those who don’t buy into it/can’t commit to what he’s trying to achieve, then they know where the door is. It felt more of a warning than an assertion as to what’s happening; surely it’s too early to see whether people are/aren’t committed to it. 

That's what I thought, initially. 

Until the very last thing he says, which is "10 days in, the players, as I've said, for the most part have committed to it and the ones who don't... (shrugs) they don't... but it's their choice, their choice to make, so we'll see where we are when the season starts".

"The players for the most part have committed to it" doesn't strike me as talking about a hypothetical scenario.    

And "we'll see where we are when the season starts" sounds like anyone who doesn't commit will be sent to Coventry, either metaphorically or literally. 

57 minutes ago, harvey54 said:

Because they're paid far too much to do something really simple. And still they want to take the easy route. 

Completely unrelated by you mentioned Temple Cloud in a post the other day…..are you related to Ian / Iain?

Archived