IGNORED

Pearson Interview today

Waconda

1 hour ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

That's what I thought, initially. 

Until the very last thing he says, which is "10 days in, the players, as I've said, for the most part have committed to it and the ones who don't... (shrugs) they don't... but it's their choice, their choice to make, so we'll see where we are when the season starts".

"The players for the most part have committed to it" doesn't strike me as talking about a hypothetical scenario.    

And "we'll see where we are when the season starts" sounds like anyone who doesn't commit will be sent to Coventry, either metaphorically or literally. 

Yeah that does seem to be what he’s implying at the end upon second listening. I think Bakinson would likely be one he’s thinking of here. I don’t know beyond that. 

6 hours ago, Dolman_Stand said:

Interviewer: Nigel, is the sky blue?

NP: I prefer not to focus on the colour of the sky.

I also noticed he did a quick, answer a question you ask yourself.

Interviewer: Nigel, is the sky blue?

NP: I prefer not to focus on the colour of the sky.

NP: Do I think sky is necessary in the modern game?

I'm not sure if it's essential.  But it's there and me and the team have to deal with it.  It's as simple as that

Although I struggle to read any NP quotes in his voice.  I have Bob Motimers impression etched in my brain

1 hour ago, Hartleysbeard said:

Yeah that does seem to be what he’s implying at the end upon second listening. I think Bakinson would likely be one he’s thinking of here. I don’t know beyond that. 

I wonder about Bakinson too - no hard evidence for this, just a hunch.

But I would make this observation:

Last season, Pearson said in public about Bakinson "he needs to run around more". On a separate occasion, when Bakinson's name was raised by the interviewer (possibly after his excellent goal at Sheff Weds), Pearson's immediate reaction was exasperated laughter. 

In his SDS run, Bakinson finished last.

Now if that was me, and my manager had said very publicly I need to be running around more, the last place I'd want to finish any running tests would be last place. I'd be busting a gut to at least make it look like I'd taken the message onboard.

I hope he does because there's a player in there but have my doubts.   

55 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Last season, Pearson said in public about Bakinson "he needs to run around more". On a separate occasion, when Bakinson's name was raised by the interviewer (possibly after his excellent goal at Sheff Weds), Pearson's immediate reaction was exasperated laughter. 

Now if that was me, and my manager had said very publicly I need to be running around more, the last place I'd want to finish any running tests would be last place. I'd be busting a gut to at least make it look like I'd taken the message onboard.

I don't think Bakinson will make the grade as to what NP wants from his players.

I don't think he's physically fit enough or has the mental aptitude to apply himself fully to the required standard.

He comes across as really immature imo.

Obviously has ability like Palmer...but both imo will struggle.

6 minutes ago, spudski said:

I don't think Bakinson will make the grade as to what NP wants from his players.

I don't think he's physically fit enough or has the mental aptitude to apply himself fully to the required standard.

Obviously has ability like Palmer...but both imo will struggle.

The daft thing is, if you have the ability, is that I think Pearson would be a fantastic manager to work for (as a player) once you have earned his trust. As you say, though, some of these lads aren't the most mature and think they know best.......

1 hour ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Out of interest do you have a link for this? 

The instrument of torture I have used as in SDS runs (6x40 metres v time x rest) there is no last. It has a minimum standard - You can fail (last?) but can't be last if reaching the standard which intermittently progresses. 

8 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

The instrument of torture I have used as in SDS runs (6x40 metres v time x rest) there is no last. It has a minimum standard - You can fail (last?) but can't be last if reaching the standard which intermittently progresses. 

In the Dave Rennie video

43 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Robins Uncut 004 video on the OS.

I take your point that he might have achieved "the qualifying time" but I think my point still stands - if Pearson has publicly criticised me for not running around enough, I wouldn't want to be the last person to finish any running tests in pre-season - I would want to look like I've got his message and was working bloody hard to get better. Bakinson looks the opposite. Plus, as BW noted, in the Robins Uncut 006 video there's yet more running - and when they've finished, Bakinson is sat on his arse taking a rest while everyone else is stood up. This sort of thing will go down like a lead balloon with a task master like Pearson. 

My guess is the reason for this is - 

58 minutes ago, spudski said:

Agreed, I was wondering if he might be a simpleton but actually it's immaturity.

If he doesn't grow up fast, switch on, and knuckle down, I can't see our current manager tolerating him.  

Potentially an excellent player but I doubt he'll fulfill that promise here.   

3 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Robins Uncut 004 video on the OS.

I take your point that he might have achieved "the qualifying time" but I think my point still stands - if Pearson has publicly criticised me for not running around enough, I wouldn't want to be the last person to finish any running tests in pre-season - I would want to look like I've got his message and was working bloody hard to get better. Bakinson looks the opposite. Plus, as BW noted, in the Robins Uncut 006 video there's yet more running - and when they've finished, Bakinson is sat on his arse taking a rest while everyone else is stood up. This sort of thing will go down like a lead balloon with a task master like Pearson. 

Thank you . I am interested in the test used itself. That a player finished last piqued my interest of how. 

Your point. I/you/him don't. SDS is about capacity midfielders should fare well. Sat on your arse unless the squad is out on its arse as well isn't a good look. Body language reveals frequently a players psychological qualities. We project mental strength and we also don't. The bio mechanics of recovery don't apply themselves either .. "Get up mate, really up you get". 

4 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

If its the video City put out then he wasn't last. Massengo was behind him. 

You're right, he beats Massengo.

By half a yard.

I'm not sure that negates the point I'm making. 

Pearson wants to see him busting a gut and I'm not sure Bakinson is hearing the message. If he is, he's got a funny way of showing it. 

The lad has time to do so but not much.  

5 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Perhaps Bakinson simply does not have the motor needed for football. Perhaps he is genuinely knackered. And this close season is worse for him because pre season is harder.

I assume they check all the heart and lung performances but maybe they need to dig a little deeper. This could be a player who in future will do more than just struggle on the pitch. I hope for his health this is not being overlooked in any way, shape or form.

7 hours ago, Hartleysbeard said:

Bakinson was the name that I thought of first after watching that interview. 

I think I remember in one of Pearson's earliest interviews at City, that he wants players in his team with pace.

The simple way to judge that is by a sprint of 50 to 100 metres. But in football terms it can also be a fast mental reaction coupled with running speed over 5 to 25 metres. Watching Leicester in the year they won the Premier League the best examples of this, IMO, are Vardy and Kante. Like express trains from a standing start. Whether a natural ability or trained, I don't know.

Also this week watching Italy v Spain, the initial pace of both teams was incredibly fast. 

Pearson, perhaps, realises that speed of thought and movement in a football match, can in attack leave defenders trailing in your slipstream and in defence to get between opposition and our goal to block their way.

As I have never attended a City training session, I have no evidence of those about whom he is referring. I suspect it is those who are not necessarily slower runners but those who are also slow reactors and poor readers of how play is developing.

Many have mentioned Bakinson but I believe there are a couple of others who fit the description.

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

Pearson, perhaps, realises that speed of thought and movement in a football match, can in attack leave defenders trailing in your slipstream and in defence to get between opposition and our goal to block their way.

As I have never attended a City training session, I have no evidence of those about whom he is referring. I suspect it is those who are not necessarily slower runners but those who are also slow reactors and poor readers of how play is developing.

If we look at, for example, Manchester City, they have all different types in their team. From the outright speedsters like Walker who perhaps has less pure footballing ability, through Laporte who calmly reads everything in front of him, De Bruyne who has an amazing change of pace and outright speed as well , to Foden who has superb balance, athleticism and energy. 
What they all have is stamina, appetite to receive a pass in tight spaces and incredible work rate. Most of all though, they are skilful players who are always working at their game. You can make our players fitter (please) but you probably will never alter their basic DNA that much (speed, character, heart, team ethic etc). Those without that should never be signed and therefore we have some clearing of the Ashton stable floor to be getting on with. 

19 minutes ago, stortfordred said:

If we look at, for example, Manchester City, they have all different types in their team. From the outright speedsters like Walker who perhaps has less pure footballing ability, through Laporte who calmly reads everything in front of him, De Bruyne who has an amazing change of pace and outright speed as well , to Foden who has superb balance, athleticism and energy. 
What they all have is stamina, appetite to receive a pass in tight spaces and incredible work rate. Most of all though, they are skilful players who are always working at their game. You can make our players fitter (please) but you probably will never alter their basic DNA that much (speed, character, heart, team ethic etc). Those without that should never be signed and therefore we have some clearing of the Ashton stable floor to be getting on with. 

Perhaps Bakinson can become our Fernandinho, Manchester City's most important player.

I'd love to see it happen but won't be betting on it. 

1 hour ago, stortfordred said:

What you are referring to are qualities and keystone behaviours. Guardiola recruits and develops both. Its obviously better to start with players with high levels but while dna cant be altered qualities and behaviours are trained in and improved. What Guardiola starts from is a vision, his big picture. Everything then follows the big picture.

Your last line can be what is known sometimes as the arc of change. At BCFC new standards are being set, its a period that will be problematic for some as old habits and behaviours (standards) are replaced by new ones. Theoretically this creates a chain reaction of improved behavioural patterns. Some will fall at the storming stage, the standards then become normal and the team performs. Storm norm perform ... Mr Pearson may not use this terminology but the coaching theory is present

On 07/07/2021 at 16:46, Colombo Robin said:

Obviously I hope he succeeds here but i've always thought he treds the line between being a determined, tough no-nonsense leader and an arrogant cock. Reminds me of someone in my local pub who is constantly out to prove how hard they are

My sister in law worked for the Watford media team when NP was there so knows him quite well. She said he's a lovely bloke behind the scenes and is polite and nice to all the staff. She said he just doesn't like being interviewed by the media and she learnt very quickly to keep it short with him which he prefers. 

Archived