IGNORED

Who is the biggest star to have played for City?

Major Isewater

I was just thinking about Derby County and how they have fallen from grace and how they used to have such well known players such as Franny Lee, Charlie George and even today Wayne Rooney, who is the biggest ‘ star ‘ to have played for the City?

I am thinking Norman Hunter has to be up there. David James equally. 

We’ve not been a glamorous club that attracts star names but there has to be more doesn’t there? 

So who is the biggest ‘ star’ to have played for the Robins? 

27 minutes ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

At the time of signing surely David James was the biggest 'star'.

Shame he turned out to be more like David Jason between the sticks.

Got to be, just over 2 weeks before he was playing for England in a world cup game. 

Completely turning this on it’s head. Celebrity people to have watched us.being a Bristolian , I took some advice & took the open top bus tour . It’s great, gives you insight that was right in front of you but never knew. At the bottom of park st. It says . The hotel on college green has had many famous guests over the years , none more so than Laurel & hardy who watched Bristol city when on their tour in the 1950’s ?Do’h 

Just now, steviestevieneville said:

Completely turning this on it’s head. Celebrity people to have watched us.being a Bristolian , I took some advice & took the open top bis tour . It’s great, gives you insight that was right in front of you but never knew. At the bottom of park st. It says . The hotel on college green has had many famous guests over the years , none more so than Laurel & hardy who watched Bristol city when on their tour in the 1950’s ?Do’h 

That’s another fine mess they got us into!

27 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Completely turning this on it’s head. Celebrity people to have watched us.being a Bristolian , I took some advice & took the open top bus tour . It’s great, gives you insight that was right in front of you but never knew. At the bottom of park st. It says . The hotel on college green has had many famous guests over the years , none more so than Laurel & hardy who watched Bristol city when on their tour in the 1950’s ?Do’h 

They probably played for us too

3 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

Of course Cary Grant also watched games at Ashton Gate.

2 hours ago, DingleRed said:

For me Norman Hunter was the biggest transfer shock we've created. IIRC it made the BBC National News

Looking at his career & how near he was to his best, it has to be him or Joe Royle, who had been in an England squad the year before joining.

You could certainly make a case for David James, he’d played in the World Cup immediately prior to joining us, but it was soon clear that at 40 he was well past his best.

3 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

I absolutely love them Dave . Memories of my dad waking me up like excited kid during the 6 weeks holiday to tell me they were on telly. When that was announced on the bus I was ecstatic ??

Me too.  Next door neighbour had loads of them of VHS back in the day.  Hours of fun watching them.  So clever.

2 hours ago, DingleRed said:

For me Norman Hunter was the biggest transfer shock we've created. IIRC it made the BBC National News

It goes to show how different football is today. In Norman Hunter's day top international players didn't earn a fortune so they had to drop down a division or two at the end of their career to keep earning.  What is really crazy is some of the players City signed from. Division 1 had a pay rise when they joined City - e.g. Joe Royle.

Archived