Jump to content
IGNORED

Who is the biggest star to have played for City?


Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

Completely turning this on it’s head. Celebrity people to have watched us.being a Bristolian , I took some advice & took the open top bus tour . It’s great, gives you insight that was right in front of you but never knew. At the bottom of park st. It says . The hotel on college green has had many famous guests over the years , none more so than Laurel & hardy who watched Bristol city when on their tour in the 1950’s 😊Do’h 

Start your own thread, Splitter.

:laughcont:

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The likes of Norman Hunter and Joe Royle were before my time.

When we signed Joe Jordan I was aware of him but didn’t know much about him (I was only in my early teens) - although I do remember the mighty Roger Malone being (rightfully) gushing about him in the HTV highlights of Joe’s debut (5-0 win v Doncaster from what I recall). 

Jackie, as a Polish international, felt like a very glitzy signing at the time. 

Overall for me it would have to be David James, although I was very underwhelmed we’d signed him and he was quite poor for us IMO. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

Completely turning this on it’s head. Celebrity people to have watched us.being a Bristolian , I took some advice & took the open top bus tour . It’s great, gives you insight that was right in front of you but never knew. At the bottom of park st. It says . The hotel on college green has had many famous guests over the years , none more so than Laurel & hardy who watched Bristol city when on their tour in the 1950’s 😊Do’h 

If  they had watched us last season they would definitely have said “ here’s another nice mess you’ve gotten into”.

For all the pedants, I have changed the quote slightly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I guess it depends on how you define "star".

Atyeo would have been very famous in his day, but the average (non-Bristolian) person wouldn't have heard of him today. Historically he's certainly right up there amongst our star players though. 

I'd say Andy Cole or David James would be the modern star players. Even my mum would know who they were. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dziekanowski played European football with Celtic and was part of a Polish team that reached a World Cup Semi. My time at Ashton goes back to 1982 and I'd say Dziekanowski, Cooper, Jordan and James are the biggest names when they arrived at that time. Cole is the man who went onto achieve the most after leaving.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Most famous at the time he played for us: Hunter, James, Jordan, Royle?

Most famous whilst playing for us: Atyeo, Garland, Jacki, Kalas?

Went on to be famous after playing for us: Cole, Abraham, Rose?

I've also got this vague recollection of Kevin Mabbutt being something of a "star" although that may have been as much about his clothes, hair, cars etc as his footballing achievements. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, italian dave said:

Most famous at the time he played for us: Hunter, James, Jordan, Royle?

Most famous whilst playing for us: Atyeo, Garland, Jacki, Kalas?

Went on to be famous after playing for us: Cole, Abraham, Rose?

I've also got this vague recollection of Kevin Mabbutt being something of a "star" although that may have been as much about his clothes, hair, cars etc as his footballing achievements. 

Didn't Kevin Mabbutt have a flashy sports car with "Kevin Mabbutt Super Star" written on it or have I just made that bit up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Kingswood Robin said:

This could be the biggest star we ever played against!

William „Fatty” Foulke | Fotbalul Romantic

Can’t remember Tomlin wearing his shorts that high on the waist.

P.S. He also needs to have a word with his agent about a better boot deal. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, SuperDziek said:

Atyeo was way before my time. Why didn’t he play more for England?

Selection for the England team in those days was a haphazard affair. The England manager was really a coach who had to use the players selected by a committee of FA officials. Another factor acting against Atyeo was he was a player from an unfashionable second division club. If he had player for a better club he would probably have gained more caps. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Talking of WAGS (sort of) I would say that Lee Trundle and Darren Byfield had the most famous girlfriends of City players when they signed in 2007, these being Liz McLarnon of Atomic Kitten and Jamelia (OK not that famous).  I don't think either of these relationships lasted until the Play-Off final though!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

I wonder what Tom Ritchie, Trevor Tainton and Gerry Sweeney were doing whilst Super Kev was posing with girls in just their knickers - running up and down the Dolman?

In the back with the others 👀

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, sglosbcfc said:

Dziekanowski played European football with Celtic and was part of a Polish team that reached a World Cup Semi. My time at Ashton goes back to 1982 and I'd say Dziekanowski, Cooper, Jordan and James are the biggest names when they arrived at that time. Cole is the man who went onto achieve the most after leaving.

People certainly like to build Dziekanowski up, don’t they?

Poland actually made their only World Cup semi final in 1974, whereas he made his Poland debut in 1981.

The only World Cup he played at (1986) Poland didn’t get past the group stage.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...