IGNORED

Great gesture by the England players

daored

We really seem to have a group of players with a morale conscious. Maybe some of our politicians could take note , see how they’ve decided to jump on the football bandwagon?

England’s players will donate prize money from their historic run to the European Championship final to NHS charities.

After Jordan Henderson’s fundraising efforts at the start of the pandemic, members of Gareth Southgate’s squad now intend to make another financial pledge to the health service.

England will face Italy in Sunday’s final at Wembley Stadium and victory would take the amount of prize money from the tournament to about £24 million for the Football Association.

About £9.6 million, or 40 per cent, of that would be shared among Southgate’s 26-man squad, and their intention is to ensure a chunk of the money goes to the NHS.

Further talks are planned after the tournament, to iron out tax complications associated with payments to England players. However, the desire is clear to support the health service and continue the link bolstered when Henderson, the England and Liverpool midfielder, emerged as a driving force behind the #PlayersTogether initiative in May.

Henderson and the captains of the 19 other Premier League clubs mobilised to make private donations that helped to raise millions of pounds for those on the NHS front line and other areas of need.

An earlier statement on behalf of the players read: “Following positive discussions with the FA, the England senior men’s squad are pleased to confirm that a significant donation from their international match fees will be made to NHS Charities Together via the #PlayersTogether initiative.

29 minutes ago, daored said:

We really seem to have a group of players with a morale conscious. Maybe some of our politicians could take note , see how they’ve decided to jump on the football bandwagon?

England’s players will donate prize money from their historic run to the European Championship final to NHS charities.

After Jordan Henderson’s fundraising efforts at the start of the pandemic, members of Gareth Southgate’s squad now intend to make another financial pledge to the health service.

England will face Italy in Sunday’s final at Wembley Stadium and victory would take the amount of prize money from the tournament to about £24 million for the Football Association.

About £9.6 million, or 40 per cent, of that would be shared among Southgate’s 26-man squad, and their intention is to ensure a chunk of the money goes to the NHS.

Further talks are planned after the tournament, to iron out tax complications associated with payments to England players. However, the desire is clear to support the health service and continue the link bolstered when Henderson, the England and Liverpool midfielder, emerged as a driving force behind the #PlayersTogether initiative in May.

Henderson and the captains of the 19 other Premier League clubs mobilised to make private donations that helped to raise millions of pounds for those on the NHS front line and other areas of need.

An earlier statement on behalf of the players read: “Following positive discussions with the FA, the England senior men’s squad are pleased to confirm that a significant donation from their international match fees will be made to NHS Charities Together via the #PlayersTogether initiative.

Some, more cynical people and football haters in particular, will say "on their money, so they should". However it's one thing to be in a situation where maybe you "should" do something and quite another thing actually doing it when it's YOUR money being given away.

Great gesture.

12 minutes ago, spudski said:

I'd like to think any money given actually went into the pockets of the nurses on the front line...and not to the NHS itself. 

I'd be trying to send a clear message to the establishment that these people need a pay rise.

Suggest you’d need a change in government for that.

21 minutes ago, spudski said:

I'd like to think any money given actually went into the pockets of the nurses on the front line...and not to the NHS itself. 

I'd be trying to send a clear message to the establishment that these people need a pay rise.

It goes to the NHS charity, not the NHS itself so although it won’t go directly into staff pockets it will go to things that benefit them

1 hour ago, daored said:

As if you couldn’t love this group of lads anymore ?

Footballers get a lot of unjustified bad press, yes some is warranted but most is just down to jealousy of what they earn. As has been said before many previous england squads have donated all their match fees to charity, a great gesture that nearly always go unnoticed and certainly not acknowledged by our scum football press.

1 hour ago, steveybadger said:

Suggest you’d need a change in government for that.

I don't think any Government in this Country would do the correct thing. 

They are all as bad as one another.

In it for themselves, and spending more time nit picking each others faults, instead of actually making sure people are being paid a fair wage.

All of them full of empty promises and bullshit.

33 minutes ago, spudski said:

In it for themselves, and spending more time nit picking each others faults, instead of actually making sure people are being paid a fair wage.

Nail on the head I think

2 hours ago, MarcusX said:

It goes to the NHS charity, not the NHS itself so although it won’t go directly into staff pockets it will go to things that benefit them

…and priority to those in ICU who he been treating Covid cases.

1 hour ago, spudski said:

Well, although there are plenty of examples of self interest on all sides some are less interested in themselves than others, IMO.

Q: Why does the NHS even need a charity?

A: Multiple governments over multiple years have failed to fund the service adequately.

Charities only exist because of the systemic failings of the market based economy. Essentially, if your poor, it's your fault and eff off and die a painful death in poverty.

2 minutes ago, DaveInSA said:

Q: Why does the NHS even need a charity?

A: Multiple governments over multiple years have failed to fund the service adequately.

Charities only exist because of the systemic failings of the market based economy. Essentially, if your poor, it's your fault and eff off and die a painful death in poverty.

There are a limited number of countries in the world with a full NHS system and guess who was ranked Number 1 not so long ago receiving praise for it's overall SAFETY, AFFORDABILITY and EFFICIENCY? Perhaps we take it for granted? In the vast majority of countries you have to pay a Doctor up-front, not here. Clearly an NHS system requires an absolute shed load of money to fund it so that answers your first question. It literally isn't possible to cover every base without having dumbed down services elsewhere or charging 45p basic rate tax.....for example there are people needing life-saving drugs that cost £1m for a course so in those instances Charity funding supplements need to be provided.

Again, though, let's just knock this country to **** and tell out and out lies that literally everywhere else has it that much better..........

• Admin

It’s sounds a decent gesture and I’m sure it is, but the paragraph that starts out with 

9 hours ago, daored said:

Further talks are planned after the tournament, to iron out tax complications associated with payments to England players. However, the desire is clear to support the health service

that makes me somewhat cynical it could just be the tax being siphoned off?

4 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

There are a limited number of countries in the world with a full NHS system and guess who was ranked Number 1 not so long ago receiving praise for it's overall SAFETY, AFFORDABILITY and EFFICIENCY? Perhaps we take it for granted? In the vast majority of countries you have to pay a Doctor up-front, not here. Clearly an NHS system requires an absolute shed load of money to fund it so that answers your first question. It literally isn't possible to cover every base without having dumbed down services elsewhere or charging 45p basic rate tax.....for example there are people needing life-saving drugs that cost £1m for a course so in those instances Charity funding supplements need to be provided.

Again, though, let's just knock this country to **** and tell out and out lies that literally everywhere else has it that much better..........

It's not until you live abroad that you realise how fantastic the NHS is. We do take it for granted. For me, it's the biggest positive this country has. We should fight tooth and nail to keep it functioning properly and fund it better through Government.

It's the number one that we should be proud of.

1 hour ago, Maesknoll Red said:

that makes me somewhat cynical it could just be the tax being siphoned off?

Depends what you want to achieve.  Technically in a tax sense the money is due to the players as employment income and they then give it to the NHS charity.  So PAYE and NIC is deducted and the donation can be gift-aided.  So

35% of the total goes into general government coffers rather than to the charity.

7 hours ago, RedRock said:

priority to those in ICU who he been treating Covid cases.

Locum ICU nurses on over £50 an hour plus overtime (search for ICU nurses) and Consultants on £200k a year salary and being paid overtime on top.  I can think of more deserving causes.

4 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

I said nothing about other countries being better. ??‍♂️.

I wasn’t knocking the UK.

and to respond about tax. If the rich paid more we’d be fine. They’ve got billions sloshing about if they paid their way there would be no poverty. No charity. No hardship. But they don’t.

9 minutes ago, DaveInSA said:

I said nothing about other countries being better. ??‍♂️.

I wasn’t knocking the UK.

and to respond about tax. If the rich paid more we’d be fine. They’ve got billions sloshing about if they paid their way there would be no poverty. No charity. No hardship. But they don’t.

Not aiming this at you directly but it's something I've always raised with people when they said the NHS needs more money.... All I ask is "how much more?" 

Very few people put their head above the parapet with a tangible response. You can double the budget as it currently stands and there will be people that will still say it needs more money. 

It needs reform, reform doesn't mean privatisation, but a streamline that money actually goes where it needs to go and spent more wisely and efficiently. 

19 minutes ago, The Batman said:

Not aiming this at you directly but it's something I've always raised with people when they said the NHS needs more money.... All I ask is "how much more?" 

Very few people put their head above the parapet with a tangible response. You can double the budget as it currently stands and there will be people that will still say it needs more money. 

It needs reform, reform doesn't mean privatisation, but a streamline that money actually goes where it needs to go and spent more wisely and efficiently. 

Great post. 

12 hours ago, Super said:

Obviously not just him but Jordan Henderson is a real class act.

The cynical side of me says Jordan Henderson is leading this as he clearly can see the bigger debate of salary wage cap on the horizon hence let's be seen doing this now to fend of that argument. 

8 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

Weird response. The poster didn’t say anything like what you’ve insinuated at the end there?

1 hour ago, Spoons said:

The cynical side of me says Jordan Henderson is leading this as he clearly can see the bigger debate of salary wage cap on the horizon hence let's be seen doing this now to fend of that argument. 

What on earth about Jordan Henderson gives you that idea? It’s just your thoughts and pinning it on someone doing something good for no reason

Archived