IGNORED

Team vs Blackpool(?)

Unan

NP said in an interview he wanted to build from the back.

He has done that with Atkinson, Baker and Simpson signed.

He's also gone for James and King, two trusted footballers he knows well to also make us solid in midfield.

I would say that he's done good business team building wise to give us a solid base with a budget he is obviously working with Im pretty happy so far. 

Its a team build that will take time and I'm happy with the work we are doing in the short term, its obvious what he's doing..

1 hour ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

If Williams and Semenyo aren't fit enough and Nagy has been sold, never mind Kalas, the team virtually picks itself. Which is a worry - not enough depth.

More worrying is, whatever 11 you start with, when you write down a second choice 11 there's nowhere near enough quality - not enough players demanding a place in that first 11 on merit.

So we're relying on a few key individuals to stay fit and play to the best of their ability, all season. 

FWIW, IF everyone was fit and no-one sold:

4-2-3-1: Bentley; Vyner, Kalas, Baker, Dasilva; James, Williams; Weimann, Massengo, O'Dowda; Wells. (O'Leary, Simpson, Atkinson, Nagy, King, Semenyo, Martin) 

Does this formation rely too heavily on Wells for goals?

So maybe,

4-3-1-2: Bentley; Vyner, Kalas, Baker, Dasilva; James, Williams, Massengo; Weimann; Martin, Wells.  (Conway replaces Martin on the bench)

Three goal-scorers on the pitch (plus Williams and James chipping in) takes the weight of Wells, who has scored the majority of his goals with a partner alongside him.  Not much width, so the full backs need to be on their bikes, plus Weimann would be free to roam. 

Not that it'll be either of the above, of course

MM - I actually think something like a 4312 or 4132 makes better use of our squad of players than other systems.  Gregor tweeted earlier that an 11v11 was two sets of 433.  But as I often say it’s not really about formation but how players play in their role, and the fluidity in and out of possession and the transitions between them.

52 minutes ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

Agree re Bakinson, for me he is an attacking midfielder. Playing any deeper he is a bit of a liability.

⬇️⬇️⬇️

43 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Interesting. Could Bakinson behind Wells be kind of like Stiepermann behind Pukki I wonder.

Bakinson is maybe too risky in deep positions. Absolutely class but when being brave on the ball so deep, he's always likely to make a mistake at some point.

Wherever he plays he will have to be a lot fitter this season. I really hope Nige sticks with him because I think he looks a special talent.

What we have to consider when starting to think about players playing in different positions is what that can mean for their ball receiving positions.  I think most of feel Tyreeq can be a lovely passer, forward passes that break the lines are a key feature, but…

…he is often doing that because he’s facing up the pitch.  The further you play him up the pitch, the more he is gonna receive the ball back to goal, rather than square on or half-turn.  I would completely change the dynamic of his game.  I’m not saying he can’t play there but it would be a big deviation from how he gets on the ball today.  I just don’t like the perceived assumption that because someone is creative, they should be a natural further forward.  Bit like saying that because Pirlo is such a creative player, he should play in the no10 slot.  It doesn’t always work like that.

Personally I’d like to see us move away from “detailed” positions like DM or CAM or no10 and have just “midfielders” who just compliment each other / the team and have enough football intelligence to know when they need to protect and when they can be more expansive whether that’s positionally or in possession of the ball.

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Personally I’d like to see us move away from “detailed” positions

We started a Pub team that played like that, first game 2-0 up our Centre Half got caught offside 3 times ? 

We lost 3-2 ?

13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

What we have to consider when starting to think about players playing in different positions is what that can mean for their ball receiving positions.  I think most of feel Tyreeq can be a lovely passer, forward passes that break the lines are a key feature, but…

…he is often doing that because he’s facing up the pitch.  The further you play him up the pitch, the more he is gonna receive the ball back to goal, rather than square on or half-turn.  I would completely change the dynamic of his game.  I’m not saying he can’t play there but it would be a big deviation from how he gets on the ball today.  I just don’t like the perceived assumption that because someone is creative, they should be a natural further forward.  Bit like saying that because Pirlo is such a creative player, he should play in the no10 slot.  It doesn’t always work like that.

Personally I’d like to see us move away from “detailed” positions like DM or CAM or no10 and have just “midfielders” who just compliment each other / the team and have enough football intelligence to know when they need to protect and when they can be more expansive whether that’s positionally or in possession of the ball.

The issue I have with TB is that he doesn't learn Dave. I have seen him give the ball away too many times when playing in the deeper position. You just cannot keep losing / giving the ball away 40 yards from your own goal. 

15 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

…he is often doing that because he’s facing up the pitch.  The further you play him up the pitch, the more he is gonna receive the ball back to goal, rather than square on or half-turn.  

Opened a can of worms there, Dave - Palmer's excellent at that! 

4 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

If Williams and Semenyo aren't fit enough and Nagy has been sold, never mind Kalas, the team virtually picks itself. Which is a worry - not enough depth.

More worrying is, whatever 11 you start with, when you write down a second choice 11 there's nowhere near enough quality - not enough players demanding a place in that first 11 on merit.

So we're relying on a few key individuals to stay fit and play to the best of their ability, all season. 

FWIW, IF everyone was fit and no-one sold:

4-2-3-1: Bentley; Vyner, Kalas, Baker, Dasilva; James, Williams; Weimann, Massengo, O'Dowda; Wells. (O'Leary, Simpson, Atkinson, Nagy, King, Semenyo, Martin) 

Does this formation rely too heavily on Wells for goals?

So maybe,

4-3-1-2: Bentley; Vyner, Kalas, Baker, Dasilva; James, Williams, Massengo; Weimann; Martin, Wells.  (Conway replaces Martin on the bench)

Three goal-scorers on the pitch (plus Williams and James chipping in) takes the weight of Wells, who has scored the majority of his goals with a partner alongside him.  Not much width, so the full backs need to be on their bikes, plus Weimann would be free to roam. 

Not that it'll be either of the above, of course

To an extent I agree, but Pearson is nothing if not transparent & he made it very clear he wanted a smaller squad with greater competition.

He also said he wanted 5 players, named their positions & a striker aside, he has done exactly what he said.

I think apart from up front (& no experienced left back cover) the squad is actually decent.

We have an excellent keeper & an ideal deputy.

Simpson is trusted by Pearson, I’m a big Vyner fan so think he’s good enough at RB.

Left back is a clear concern but Dasilva simply has to start to be available more often.

In the middle Kalas (if he stays) is top quality, Atkinson hasn’t been bought not to play & Baker is experienced cover, then Moore or Cundy in an emergency.

We have 6 central midfielders for 3 places. James & Williams should be certs, leaving us a promising youngster in HNM, a bloke who has just had an excellent Euros, a model professional & Bakinson..

Out wide O’Dowda, Weimann & Semenyo are good options, plus the enigma that is Palmer.

Up front we have the experienced Wells & Martin, Weimann can play there, plus a few promising kids of which Conway has impressed me most.

That is a squad of 22 or 23 if you add Pring/Nurse, not perfect but whilst I totally accept the point that it relies heavily on certain players, not too bad.

51 minutes ago, Garland-sweden said:

LJ and Holden played COD. Dont think a third manager will play him. Waited so long that he should make end product, but Im hard to believe that he should have assists and goals for us. 

I’ve not been his biggest fan….but I think he might be one who Nige will get something out of.  Now or never.  26.

Hope so but i doubt it. Many players move on when it dont work for them in a Club. COD Have played many games for us but seldom made an impact. Ok ,I know he scored vs Norwich a couple of years ago. Since Eliasson left We dont have any winger, not good. Sometimes football is simple, winger, cross in to the box and goal. Your England tea is good on that, Thinking Sterling, Grealish. Never mind, Im a City supporter and I Hope COD finally make it. COYR!!!

I think if everyone was fit NP would go with the following:

Bentley

Simpson, Kalas, Atkinson, DaSilva 

Williams, James

Semenyo, Weimann, Wells 

Martin

It looks attacking but the front 4 would be expected to do their defensive duties.

You'd get pace, power, height, work rate and experience.

The three behind Martin could press high when needed, but generally engage just inside our half. 

O'Dowda would be pushing Wells for the left midfield role. 

Massengo, Bakinson, Palmer and King all can come into the more centre midfield roles, depending which strength is needed.

Vyner pushing for RB role, Baker CB back up.

24 minutes ago, mozo said:

I think if everyone was fit NP would go with the following:

Bentley

Simpson, Kalas, Atkinson, DaSilva 

Williams, James

Semenyo, Weimann, Wells 

Martin

It looks attacking but the front 4 would be expected to do their defensive duties.

You'd get pace, power, height, work rate and experience.

The three behind Martin could press high when needed, but generally engage just inside our half. 

O'Dowda would be pushing Wells for the left midfield role. 

Massengo, Bakinson, Palmer and King all can come into the more centre midfield roles, depending which strength is needed.

Vyner pushing for RB role, Baker CB back up.

If we start with Wells on the left and Martin through the middle we'll struggle for goals. Honestly I really hope that's not the case. 

Nahki Wells is a striker, he's scored consistently at this level for years, we need him in the box. 

Chris Martin is on the decline, he started the season well then badly faded. I'm very worried about going into a season with him as our main striker. 

38 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

If we start with Wells on the left and Martin through the middle we'll struggle for goals. Honestly I really hope that's not the case. 

Nahki Wells is a striker, he's scored consistently at this level for years, we need him in the box. 

Chris Martin is on the decline, he started the season well then badly faded. I'm very worried about going into a season with him as our main striker. 

Yeah I'm only basing this on my guess that NP would want physical presence up front, and would see this as a compromise in order to squeeze a variety of forwards in there.

You could have Wells at the top, O'Dowda on the left and Martin on the bench. 

14 minutes ago, Matt Bakes said:

For me currently our Starting XI...

Bentley

Vyner Kalas Baker Dasilva

Nagy James

Weimann  King   Odowda

Martin

Don’t think that’ll be a million miles off.  Think most of us will get 7 or 8 spot on, just a few questions on who the other 2 or 3 will be.

Archived