IGNORED

England vs Italy. Is it coming home?

freezer

Three Lions Football GIFThoughts please boys and girls. 

I'm not tempting fate, it's all on the day, but feel if England can play with the same tempo as in the last few games we can do it. 

Only thing I'm struggling with is team selection. Mr Southgate has done very well so far so might just leave that to him and not fret too much over it. 

Will still be as nervous as hell but COME ON ENGLAND. 

9 minutes ago, freezer said:

I'm not tempting fate, it's all on the day, but feel if England can play with the same tempo as in the last few games we can do it. 

Only thing I'm struggling with is team selection. Mr Southgate has done very well so far so might just leave that to him and not fret too much over it. 

It looks like a tough one but at least the best two teams in the tournament have made the final for a change.

Fingers crossed is all I can offer.

With less travel and home advantage in mind too, I would make us slight favourites. 

It's going to be a hell of a game. Spain used a false nine really nicely against Italy to dominate possession and reduce the impact Italy's midfield, Jorginho in particular, had. I imagine Kane will be asked to do something similar, as he has done throughout the season, while Sterling and probably Saka will start as runners in behind. The other benefit here, especially with Saka on the right against an Italy side which has played with an attacking left back throughout the Euros, is the tracking back. I think it'll be the same team that started against Denmark.

For me Italy are the best, most dangerous team in the competition.

They attack and move the ball accurately and rapidly whilst our defenders are not the quickest.

Italy are tough in defence and have a fantastic keeper if we get past them. 

They are all masters of game management.

They are not particularly gifted with a world class forward whilst we have two.

I think this will be a very even game and whilst my heart says England, my head says that those crafty Italians are going to rain on our parade. 

We need every player at the top of their game , Pickford had a mare v Denmark. 

We have home advantage which may swing it.

It really is too tough to call and we all know that anything can happen on the day to affect the game. 

The better individuals v the better team.

I just hope that Kane and Sterling play like they did on Wednesday and hopefully we'll have too much for their aging defence. They haven't come across real pace upfront in the tournament yet so here's hoping.

I rate Italy as a slightly better team but in a one off game like this it's largely down to the best team on the day. They are unbeaten in a stupid amount of games and we have home advantage, we have seen surprises in the fa cup and champions league finals this year and I would say these 2 teams are more evenly matched than either of those contests. I'm sure most people like me really did not believe they would get to the final, hoping they show up on the night, don't let the ocassion get to them and fingers crossed it will be enough. 

2 minutes ago, Baba Yaga said:

I rate Italy as a slightly better team but in a one off game like this it's largely down to the best team on the day. They are unbeaten in a stupid amount of games and we have home advantage, we have seen surprises in the fa cup and champions league finals this year and I would say these 2 teams are more evenly matched than either of those contests. I'm sure most people like me really did not believe they would get to the final, hoping they show up on the night, don't let the ocassion get to them and fingers crossed it will be enough. 

A mixture of ‘it could go either way’ and ‘fingers crossed’ with which I’d completely agree!

I think the Italians are better technically, and probably more consistent as individual players. But home advantage will surely help, and there’s no doubt we’re a strong team. 

It’s going to be fascinating for sure; different styles and both sides with the ability to worry the other: the Italians won’t like Sterling and co running at them, and any defence will struggle if the Italians start playing those short fast one touch triangles they are capable of. 

They’ve lost probably their best player of the tournament, Spinazzola. We have to make sure every player is at their best. Can’t afford Pickford to have another game like he did v Denmark. Italy probably have the best keeper in the tournament, still can’t believe he’s only 22.:

Really looking forward to it. 

49 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

They attack and move the ball accurately and rapidly whilst our defenders are not the quickest.

I think this will be a very even game and whilst my heart says England, my head says that those crafty Italians are going to rain on our parade. 

It really is too tough to call and we all know that anything can happen on the day to affect the game. 

https://www.novibet.co.uk/blog/top-10-fastest-players-in-the-world/

Kyke Walker is the 9th fastest player in the world. Didn’t check the top eight to see if there were any Italians. 

However this could go either way as you say. 

cmon England 

I thought from the start that Italy would win it, obviously now not so sure, everything seems to be falling into place for England, playing at Wembley will be huge, I'm usually a massive pessimist when it comes to football after far too many disappointments with City and England but I think we might just do it, still hasn't sunk in that we are actually in the final to be honest. 

Really hard to call. I’d say Italy are slight favourites - they are used to competing in finals whereas for our players it is a completely new experience. But we have a good squad of disciplined players with flair and home advantage. I really hope we do it. 

53 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

We are favourites but I think Italy might just sneak a tense 1-0 win 

Are we favourites (with the bookies) because they’ve taken more bets on England?  Aren’t England naturally shorter odds with English bookies, because of the volume of bets they take on England to win?

Edit: checked Sisal.it

They have England favourites but much closer spread. 2.90 (Italy) v 2.75 (Eng)

57 minutes ago, italian dave said:

A mixture of ‘it could go either way’ and ‘fingers crossed’ with which I’d completely agree!

I think the Italians are better technically, and probably more consistent as individual players. But home advantage will surely help, and there’s no doubt we’re a strong team. 

It’s going to be fascinating for sure; different styles and both sides with the ability to worry the other: the Italians won’t like Sterling and co running at them, and any defence will struggle if the Italians start playing those short fast one touch triangles they are capable of. 

They’ve lost probably their best player of the tournament, Spinazzola. We have to make sure every player is at their best. Can’t afford Pickford to have another game like he did v Denmark. Italy probably have the best keeper in the tournament, still can’t believe he’s only 22.:

Really looking forward to it. 

I have a feeling Pickford will be more relaxed for the final. There was a lot more to lose in the last game and he looked unsettled all night long. If that was a Premier League game he would have been bombarded with crosses and shots from everywhere.

28 minutes ago, weepywall said:

I thought from the start that Italy would win it, obviously now not so sure, everything seems to be falling into place for England, playing at Wembley will be huge, I'm usually a massive pessimist when it comes to football after far too many disappointments with City and England but I think we might just do it, still hasn't sunk in that we are actually in the final to be honest. 

You have summed up how I feel almost exactly. My worry is the Italians will put in a few early smash tackles on Sterling, knowing if they do it early enough they'll get away with a yellow. I think he would be the one who could win it for us, given his form in this tournament. 

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

I'd agree but looked rather leggy against Spain, basically hanging on. 

Not overly impressive against Austria either.

The one thing England will have to figure out is how to break them down though. Highly organised team

I do feel pound for pound and with our  depth we have the stronger squad than them. As others have said though they are masters of game management and the huge unbeaten run they are on will give them great confidence.
They have players that can hurt us of course but the array of talent we have especially on the bench will be a huge concern to Mancini and his staff I’d imagine. It’s going to be tough but I think we can do it ?

I really hope we've recovered well and still have some left in the tank. Going into the Denmark game, it was clear that we had a lot of energy but a day less to recover than Italy could be key. I genuinely think we're a better side but we're England and City fans, I can't shake off the feeling that it has to go wrong somewhere!

3 hours ago, freezer said:

Match them up in midfield & I think we win . Like you though , nervous as hell . 

29 minutes ago, GodEmperor Palpatine said:

I'd agree but looked rather leggy against Spain, basically hanging on. 

Not overly impressive against Austria either.

The one thing England will have to figure out is how to break them down though. Highly organised team

I think one reason they looked tired against Spain though was because Spain are so good at keeping the ball. Even better than the Italians. That’s tiring to play against.

England are nowhere near that good at keeping it (that last 5 mins v Denmark being the exception that proves the rule), so I think Italy may be back to their more energetic selves. 

If you look at Italy’s form over the six games they’ve played, it’s definitely tailing off.  The won their first two games in spectacular fashion 3-0, laboured against Wales, winning 1-0.  They needed extra time to beat a poor Austrian side.  Their form then picked up for he first  45 minutes against Belgium, but were forced back in the 2nd, eventually resorting to the worst type of gamesmanship to see them over the line.   Finally, they were second best throughout the entire 120 minutes  against Spain.

Conversely, our performances have improved with each game and we seem to be peaking at the right time.

If think it’s ours for the taking provided we play as well as we did against Denmark.

Archived