IGNORED

England vs Italy. Is it coming home?

freezer

3 hours ago, BS2 Red said:

As a Bristol City and England fan (born after 1966), the idea of actually witnessing my team winning a major trophy sounds like a daydream. I think that's why I have no nerves at all today, I'm in completely uncharted territory!

Although it will seem laughable not only to fans of the bigger teams, but also our own younger supporters, that years ago many of us would have viewed last season's  finishing position as aspirational.
The same applies to the Freight Rover Final.
At the time, that stupid competition was suddenly massive once you were in a Wembley final. (Then it was only FA Cup Final, League Cup Final or Champions Shield to play there otherwise.)
A long, huge, wonderful, emotional, exhausting day for myself, my wife, and many others. However, 5 minutes after the final whistle, I felt strangely stunned and exhausted.
I overheard a Bolton fan, "Miserable Bastards. You'd have thought they lost."
Obviously I wasn't alone in my feelings.
I'm old enough to have seen England win the World Cup, but not old enough to understand that it was "Quite a Big Thing Really." (What a really crap age to be. - Cheers Mum. Cheers Dad)
I patiently waited another 24 years for us to beat Germany. After 15 minutes of elation, I left the pub to walk home feeling very stunned and subdued. Did it really happen? Was it a cruel hallucination? I mean it wasn't a very English thing to do, beating the Germans and all that.
So, after a measly 55 years we're in yet another Final.
My Semi Final celebrations lasted a few minutes before getting the stunned/numb bit again.
Is it a good omen? Does this mean deep down I really feel we have a good chance this time?
No idea, but you're welcome to pay for the psychologist.
Anyway, after two drinks trips and devouring all internet build up, I am now having bouts of excitement and anticipation.
I feel this could actually happen.
Be happy for me please.
I so, so, so, so wish you all a happy day. (Some Scots excluded.)

On 09/07/2021 at 19:16, And Its Smith said:

If we win it and the team reject Johnson’s invite to Downing Street.  Ideal outcome 

I think the dignified thing for a team to do is gracefully accept an invitation but politely decline to pose for the opportunistic photograph with he Prime Minister.*

*Much as I'm not a fan of the current government, I think this suggestion probably applies no matter who the Prime Minister is. 

33 minutes ago, MJP3 said:

Although it will seem laughable not only to fans of the bigger teams, but also our own younger supporters, that years ago many of us would have viewed last season's  finishing position as aspirational.
The same applies to the Freight Rover Final.
At the time, that stupid competition was suddenly massive once you were in a Wembley final. (Then it was only FA Cup Final, League Cup Final or Champions Shield to play there otherwise.)
A long, huge, wonderful, emotional, exhausting day for myself, my wife, and many others. However, 5 minutes after the final whistle, I felt strangely stunned and exhausted.
I overheard a Bolton fan, "Miserable Bastards. You'd have thought they lost."
Obviously I wasn't alone in my feelings.
I'm old enough to have seen England win the World Cup, but not old enough to understand that it was "Quite a Big Thing Really." (What a really crap age to be. - Cheers Mum. Cheers Dad)
I patiently waited another 24 years for us to beat Germany. After 15 minutes of elation, I left the pub to walk home feeling very stunned and subdued. Did it really happen? Was it a cruel hallucination? I mean it wasn't a very English thing to do, beating the Germans and all that.
So, after a measly 55 years we're in yet another Final.
My Semi Final celebrations lasted a few minutes before getting the stunned/numb bit again.
Is it a good omen? Does this mean deep down I really feel we have a good chance this time?
No idea, but you're welcome to pay for the psychologist.
Anyway, after two drinks trips and devouring all internet build up, I am now having bouts of excitement and anticipation.
I feel this could actually happen.
Be happy for me please.
I so, so, so, so wish you all a happy day. (Some Scots excluded.)

54 years, 11 months and 11 days ago, as a nine year old, I sat with my parents in our council house in Long Ashton and watched England win the World Cup Final, it seems like only yesterday that after the final whistle I ran to the kitchen picked up a bottle of milk and copied Nobby Stiles in drinking it out of the bottle as he danced around the pitch. Sadly, my parents, Stiles and six others from that team are no longer with us to witness tonight’s match.

Of course throughout the intervening 55 year period I have followed England and Bristol City every inch of the way. Which has been character-building, emotional and to be honest often heart - wrenchingly disappointing.

Tonight I will sit with my wife and 12 year old daughter, together we will hold the flag and try to  hold our nerve.

Come on England!

12 minutes ago, Slacker said:

Let's remember it is very much a minority. Not excusing their behaviour for one minute, but can't help thinking that the government's handling of the entire covid situation, hasn't helped.

People like that being given 'personal responsibility'.......

They shouldn't be given personal responsibility to wipe their own arses.

34 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Iain Dale reports that 'several hundred' England fans have broken the barricades at Wembley and are 'roaming the stadium without tickets.'

Effin’ knobheads spoiling it….as usual.  Embarrassing!

39 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Iain Dale reports that 'several hundred' England fans have broken the barricades at Wembley and are 'roaming the stadium without tickets.'

If the video posted just above is The Incident then I counted about 30 breaching the barricades.

But talksport journalist " hundreds"

3 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Probly why some don't want Gerlund to win, although for anyone with a Fiat, an Alfa Romeo or an ice cream van in Gerlund tonight you rather hope we do/they have a garage.

Yes you're right, to all Italian restaurant owners - if the Azzuri go 2 up start boarding up your shop front NOW

11 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Was always going to go back to wing backs and have Mount as one of the wide attacking players along with Sterling. Sensible line up I think considering the win over Germany with a similar line up.

Difference is Germany also played with a back 3 / wingbacks too.

Usual questions / challenges will be how our back 3 deal with one to mark, and whether the WBs are smart enough to not allow themselves to be 1v1 because two CBs are spare.

Then you’d hope our 3 attackers deal with their back 4….but our WBs again will need to be intelligence to allow Phillips to get onto Jorginho without then leaving Rice exposed 2v1.

When we have the ball, we need Mount to be positive to either drag Veratti out of position or if Insigne dies t get close he can left 1v1 v Emerson (like Saka did against the Danish LB).

Have no probs if it becomes lopsided, with Shaw deep guarding against Chiesa, as long as Trippier doesn’t sit deep on Insigne.  They can’t both play deep.  Nor can both be expansive, at the same time.  Walker has to allow Trippier to make an extra midfielder or wide player at times.

Intriguing match-ups.

6 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Former England players saying club rivalries were a big reason for England failing is complete nonsense. They're professionals. Sherringham and Cole hated each other and it wasn't a problem. It's not like players would not pass to each other or not try. 

The problem was England players were not as good as people thought. And poor management from most managers since Hoddle.

England now having players that are friends with each other helps a bit, but would make no real difference if they weren't so good as they are. Or if a manager makes the wrong decisions.

We now have top elite level players all over the squad.

I think the other major factor is a change in philosophy. Back in the supposed "golden generation", it felt like an attempt to shoehorn eleven individuals into some sort of team - the point where there'd be a midfield and attack of Joe Cole, Lampard, Gerrard, Beckham and Rooney all pretty much trying to occupy the same space on the pitch.

Now it's less about stars and more about a cohesive unit where Southgate is happy to leave flair players on the bench if they don't complement the team dynamic.

4 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Former England players saying club rivalries were a big reason for England failing is complete nonsense. They're professionals. Sherringham and Cole hated each other and it wasn't a problem. It's not like players would not pass to each other or not try. 

The problem was England players were not as good as people thought. And poor management from most managers since Hoddle.

England now having players that are friends with each other helps a bit, but would make no real difference if they weren't so good as they are. Or if a manager makes the wrong decisions.

We now have top elite level players all over the squad.

Well said , I’m sick to death of the so called ‘Golden Generation’ and many others talking post retirement about club rivalries but when they played it was always a great group of lads etc

If players couldn’t put club rivalries aside when playing for the national team they should have declined  the call up 

1 minute ago, LondonBristolian said:

I think the other major factor is a change in philosophy. Back in the supposed "golden generation", it felt like an attempt to shoehorn eleven individuals into some sort of team - the point where there'd be a midfield and attack of Joe Cole, Lampard, Gerrard, Beckham and Rooney all pretty much trying to occupy the same space on the pitch.

Now it's less about stars and more about a cohesive unit where Southgate is happy to leave flair players on the bench if they don't complement the team dynamic.

It’s finally become a team, with a common purpose.

Archived