IGNORED

England vs Italy. Is it coming home?

freezer

45 minutes ago, Slacker said:

Let's remember it is very much a minority. Not excusing their behaviour for one minute, but can't help thinking that the government's handling of the entire covid situation, hasn't helped.

Don't give chav ********* like that an excuse for their behaviour. Seeing grown adults behaving like that is embarrassing.  I think you're right about the COVID situation but just because the Government are completely incompetent at everything they do doesn't mean that adults have the right to do that (I know you're not saying they have the right). Idiots the lot of them.  They embarrass this country and the sport. 

Is it any wonder other countries hate us and football is always tagged in the way it is.

6 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I think the other major factor is a change in philosophy. Back in the supposed "golden generation", it felt like an attempt to shoehorn eleven individuals into some sort of team - the point where there'd be a midfield and attack of Joe Cole, Lampard, Gerrard, Beckham and Rooney all pretty much trying to occupy the same space on the pitch.

Now it's less about stars and more about a cohesive unit where Southgate is happy to leave flair players on the bench if they don't complement the team dynamic.

It seemed to be harder to be left out than picked in the first place. In 2010 Scott Parker had been the best midfielder in England that season  bar none but never got a sniff.

2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Yep. Mount a very intelligent player who will be key I think. 

Can always change it second half. Spoilt for choice on the bench

Not saying it’s wrong team or anything like that, just intrigued how we play it, and Italy cope (or change themselves).

Its about our players imposing themselves.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Not saying it’s wrong team or anything like that, just intrigued how we play it, and Italy cope (or change themselves).

Its about our players imposing themselves.

Well, he’s proved me completely wrong to date. So lets hope he continues to do so.

As you say, intriguing. I would have said ‘baffling’ previously.

Pickford is going to be critical in the early stages of this match.

Hopefully,he’ll has his confidence back after a few wobbles in the last couple of matches. 

If he’s strong. He could give us the platform on which to build. 

1 hour ago, Jerseybean said:

54 years, 11 months and 11 days ago, as a nine year old, I sat with my parents in our council house in Long Ashton and watched England win the World Cup Final, it seems like only yesterday that after the final whistle I ran to the kitchen picked up a bottle of milk and copied Nobby Stiles in drinking it out of the bottle as he danced around the pitch. Sadly, my parents, Stiles and six others from that team are no longer with us to witness tonight’s match.

Of course throughout the intervening 55 year period I have followed England and Bristol City every inch of the way. Which has been character-building, emotional and to be honest often heart - wrenchingly disappointing.

Tonight I will sit with my wife and 12 year old daughter, together we will hold the flag and try to  hold our nerve.

Come on England!

How I envy your extra 2 years to better understand that momentousness occasion. I've always wished to be 2 years older or decades younger.

For the last 50 years I have shared your suffering in only following City and England. For much of that time when people would ask if I followed football, I'd have to respond. "Not really, I just watch Bristol City and England."

I reflected about a quarter of a century ago that winning the World Cup was a once in a lifetime experience if you're English. I no longer feel it's a total impossibility to be wrong on that. (For non smokers unlike myself.)

Hope we both make it. (Ok, and you others.)

Archived