IGNORED

England vs Italy. Is it coming home?

freezer

54 years, 11 months and 11 days ago, as a nine year old, I sat with my parents in our council house in Long Ashton and watched England win the World Cup Final, it seems like only yesterday that after the final whistle I ran to the kitchen picked up a bottle of milk and copied Nobby Stiles in drinking it out of the bottle as he danced around the pitch. Sadly, my parents, Stiles and six others from that team are no longer with us to witness the match.

Of course throughout the intervening 55 year period I have followed England and Bristol City every inch of the way. Which has been character-building, emotional and to be honest often heart - wrenchingly disappointing.

Tonight I sat with my wife and 12 year old daughter, together we held the flag and held our nerve.

Thank you England, although the outcome was not what we hoped for you have elated the nation and strengthened our national psyche throughout this tournament.

A word for Gareth Southgate (soon to be Sir Gareth) he has managed the entire transformation calmly and in someways his unassuming demeanor reminds me of Sir Alf Ramsey.

Now I’m looking forward to seeing the transformation that NP achieves at BCFC. He has the opportunity to become Sir Nigel Pearson in the eyes of us City fans.

When we get to penalties in future can we just give the other team the victory instead of putting us through that?

P.S. Best team won and Southgate’s overcautious approach cost us in the end.

Archived