IGNORED

England vs Italy. Is it coming home?

freezer

I was right about Southgate,bottle job.One of those really defensive managers.
Boring,but looks good as we have so many good players at the moment.

If we’d gone for it at 1-0 up you expect the result would have been different.

We have so many good players ,we really should be winning some of these tournaments now.

2 minutes ago, cityexile said:

First off, Italy deserved that.

Secondly, what pressure do you put players under when they are just on to take a penalty kick. Saka not really had a good match and no idea why he was up last. Saving two should be enough.

Some good moments across the cup, but not there yet.

Having played at a decent level and being a centre half I can tell you people wilt at a pen shoot out and just don’t want to take one,guessing that’s why hairband boy and Sterling didn’t step up,what a pen from maguire tho 

On a brighter note, the world cup being only 15 months away or so is probably a good thing for us, we don't need a rebuild we need to maintain levels, 2 goals conceded in a whole route to penalty shoot out of a final. I just wish Gareth would be willing to take the handbrake off a bit, to only make 3 subs before the last minute or two of extra time, if you want Rashford and Sancho on for penalties let them have 10 mins to see if they can use fresh legs to snatch it. Saka playing CM in a 4141? He showed he was willing to sub off players who'd subbed on think that cost us a lot in general gameplay. Rice I thought was great but was pulled in the 90 mins.

1 minute ago, LondonBristolian said:

Sterling isn’t a good penalty taker. No point at all in a player doing something that isn’t in their skillset just to look like they are standing up to be counted…

Leave it to a 19 year old that has prob never taken one? He has taken plenty for Man City

8 minutes ago, downendcity said:

When we get to penalties in future can we just give the other team the victory instead of putting us through that?

P.S. Best team won and Southgate’s overcautious approach cost us in the end.

100% agree terrible tactics, unfortunately history will show we lost the game all the previous games will be forgotten when it really mattered he got it wrong.

1 minute ago, Super said:

Leave it to a 19 year old that has prob never taken one? He has taken plenty for Man City

He has taken four for Man City. He missed three and scored one. He is really not a penalty taker.

A mate is a Man City fan. First thing he did when we went to penalties was text me and say “really hope Sterling doesn’t take one.”

Rashford's record from the spot is a bit hit and miss. Before Fernandes went to Man U, they tried pretty much every player taking pens and they were all fairly crap.

England have done well, no actually better than anyone expected in getting to the final. The thing that bugs me, is why did we spend a large chunk of the game seemingly happy for Italy to play their game how they wanted!? The goal was always coming, and the game for us was crying out for a change from about 5 minutes into the second half because it was blindingly obvious that nothing had changed from before half time.

Disliked him as a player, and dislike him as a coach. Far too "safe". I'm sorry but when you have a bench with the talent that we had on it, why do you only bring players like Rashford and Sancho on to take penalties? Pretty sure Grealish tripped over and crushed Southgates cat at some point as well, as I can't understand how he never played more either.

I'm off to bed. Up yours Italy.

It's obviously sad but that has been the first Euros in my life where I have been proud of how we have played and conducted ourselves. Young core and first final in 55 years. Some of the best experiences I have had watching England happened this summer. Tears of happiness against Germany. Watching us crush Ukraine. 

We're not done yet.

1 minute ago, robin_unreliant said:

Forget the penalties. Italy dominated the second half and Southgate didn't have the balls to use our subs until it was too late. He totally blew that tactically. 

Sadly Southgate was safety first we were lucky to get to penalties the better team won sadly a home tournament bottled 

Archived