IGNORED

England vs Italy. Is it coming home?

freezer

44 minutes ago, Maltshoveller said:

So 2022 England score after 30mins Then are pushed back after adopting a defensive shape England lose on penalties

Early is anytime before the 89th minute! 

1 hour ago, OddBallJim said:

I'll be honest everyone, I feel desperately sad that we lost. Going into work has been a real bummer this last couple of days. Reading this forum offers a bit of solace. 

Can't help but feel it's a huge opportunity lost. It's unlikely that the route to a final will be as favourable as this one was. 

?

Exactly how I’ve been feeling. With home advantage and being a goal up at half time on Sunday, there was no better opportunity to win something. Qatar will be a completely different and probably more difficult challenge. 

In fairness everyone said after WC18 that we wouldn't get a better chance. Yet the next major tournament we did. So yes it will be tough in Qatar but this squad is improving which can't be said about the likes of Belgium, Portugal, Germany or Italy.

I would imagine Spain, Argentina and Brazil would be be big players at Qatar along with us and France.

• Admin
23 hours ago, RedM said:

Exactly. One of the pundits, might have been Shearer, said you step up and do exactly what you have practiced over and over again. No hesitancy, no change of plan, but exactly the pen you have perfected.

I paraphrase, but that’s what I understood him to mean. Not a time to try something different or new. Not a time to be clever. So why the hell did Rashford chose to go off script? No one can convince me that was what he had practiced.

Trouble is once he had done that the last two by our players were dead in the water. Poor decision by a player struggling for form with no gametime last evening. At least he had the bottle to step up. 

That is the penalty he practices though, watches the keeper then sends it the other way. Here’s one from his club…

Okay, happy to be corrected. I guess it works more often than not for him. He did send the Italian Keeper the wrong way to be fair, but if you are going to take a gamble and do that sort of penalty you got to do better than put it wide surely?

9 hours ago, RedM said:

Okay, happy to be corrected. I guess it works more often than not for him. He did send the Italian Keeper the wrong way to be fair, but if you are going to take a gamble and do that sort of penalty you got to do better than put it wide surely?

I don’t disagree but he hit the post. The fine lines between success and failure, literally inches 

On 12/07/2021 at 06:56, The Batman said:

It's a fair point. I remember Portugal went out after 4 pens at a tournament a few years back and Ronaldo was in line to take the 5th. But surely you play the event. If 4 and 5 do need to be brought forward then do it. Surely players are not that robotic that they can't move one place forward if need be? 

Are you actually able to change the 5 penalty takers after the shootout has begun though? I don't know but I've got a feeling the manager submits a list of players to the officials before the penalties start and might have to stick to that? Could be completely wrong, I'm sure someone will know the rules better than me.

22 minutes ago, fgrsimon said:

Are you actually able to change the 5 penalty takers after the shootout has begun though? I don't know but I've got a feeling the manager submits a list of players to the officials before the penalties start and might have to stick to that? Could be completely wrong, I'm sure someone will know the rules better than me.

Thats exactly it, you pick for and that order remains. You cant just change it half way through

18 hours ago, RedM said:

I think that's probably the case for any sort of penalty?? ?

2 hours ago, fgrsimon said:

I'm pretty sure you're right that some kind of list gets given to the ref. But you'd imagine there's a 'get out' - say one penalty taker gets cramp suddenly, or injures themselves celebrating the opponents miss?!

Edit - sorry, just seem @MarcusX post - I'd still ask the question whether there are circumstances where it could be changed???

Well it was a great start- the Shaw goal and for half an hour thought we looked really good, Italy were quite rattled too- had some more possession but weren't doing much with it- their usual pressing game seemed to be lacking as well which was encouraging.

Sadly from about 35-40 mins in, their possession game improved as did their pressing- wasn't happy with how we conceded but we were clearly being hemmed in a bit- Berardi for Immobile also helped swing it in their favour a bit tactically I thought. The equaliser was coming and it came. We regrouped better later, perhaps one of Jorginho or Chiellini could've gone but then Italy would argue Chiesa getting crocked late on was ott.

The subs at the end, just weren't ready- Saka in particular though on earlier, others should have stepped up ahead of him IMO.

Still room to grow but no home advantage in 2022 won't help...as for Sunday Italy just about edged it and tbh there were ghosts of tournament past- as well as penalties, steadily losing control of the midfield and being penned back. I thought we'd got over that given how we coped with Croatia's 4-3-3 in the opening game, indeed significantly superior in the 1st half in midfield- a midfield 3 that included Brozovic and Modric but it seemed not, definitely shades of past tournaments in that respect.

I'd like to see us move to 4-3-3 and do it consistently, this 3-4-3 I don't believe gives us that mix of control and security in the middle. Foden as one of the 3, Phillips and Rice or just one? Definitely got hope moving forward but...I dunno.

That petition, saw it on my FB earlier in the week- someone I know signed and shared it, can't say I agree!

On 17/07/2021 at 14:56, LoyalRed said:

For 2022 these look like reasonable times to watch the games, thought they were going to be in the middle of the night 

1A4B13A6-A329-4534-91B8-AB3BA1519B5F.jpeg

Corrr that Xmas week could be insane if we make the final again

not going to be much work done during those group games 

Archived