IGNORED

England vs Italy. Is it coming home?

freezer

Feels like a game where the old cliche "who scores first" comes to mind.

If we can nick one early, we could end up winning 2-0.

If we concede one early...it will be very, very tough to get back in the game = 1-0 Italy.

We could look to start quickly and try and do that, but in a way i'd rather we try not to concede as it feels like in most games we've got better as the game goes on and finished the stronger team, the subs may well be key again. 

Prediction then - 0-0 half time.

1-0 England full time. 

30 minutes ago, Rossi the Robin said:

Might go for a walk or read a book, can’t cope with the stress..I must have paced about 4 miles on Wednesday 

Penalties.. I can’t even bare to think about that 

With that in mind, thank you @Cowshed, nearly finished Coaching The Mental Game, I am grateful.

WhatsApp Image 2021-07-09 at 19.30.15.jpeg

I hope this is our breakthrough moment. Similar to France in 1998 WC and Spain in the 2008 Euros. Both got over that hurdle and have gone on to win more tournaments after that initial one.

45 minutes ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

I'd love for us to win it, fast balls over the top on the counter have left Italy reeling previously so.. . Neuter Insigne and there's not so much of a threat with the other guy out injured too. 

Absolutely going to enjoy the spectacle, whatever the result. 

Crikey! That's a bit drastic! :sad26:

Both teams have a similar lack of pace at the back which can be exploited, Walker is England’s get out of jail card on that front. Rice and Philips are going to be the key to this one I think, breaking up the play quickly before the Italian midfield can get a foot on the ball. 

Shame that Spinazzola for Italy is out injured as arguably has been their best player, would've given Walker quite a time LB vs RB.

England need to look at the slight frailty of the goalkeeper Donnarumma when under pressure and in midfield Verrati is going to be spoiling & fouling, surprised he hasn't been sent off thus far. That's going to be a key area against the relative newbies of Philips, Mount, Rice. Might need some of Henderson's big game experience.

No-one has really got at the Chiellini - Bonucci pairing apart from Morata for Spain in their SF, England would do well to study that and move Sterling (maybe Saka and/or Sancho if picked) in and around them for pace and agility. They won't fancy that.

Hopefully, Pickford's little wobble in the SF against Denmark has gone and the luck thus far with the 'Sterling incident' and the fortunate rebound for the Kane goal off Schmeichel carries with us.

Promises to be a great game.......it's going to be tight, single goal in it methinks, possibly ET. Can't pick a winner right now, but no nerves from me!

2 hours ago, italian dave said:

I think one reason they looked tired against Spain though was because Spain are so good at keeping the ball. Even better than the Italians. That’s tiring to play against.

England are nowhere near that good at keeping it (that last 5 mins v Denmark being the exception that proves the rule), so I think Italy may be back to their more energetic selves. 

It’s actually one of things we’ve improved massively this tourny, we show patience….it’s been key to us beating the Croatians and Germany and why we’ve no longer looked a “tired England” at a summer tournament.

Not saying it will be as easy v Italy, but it’s a big part imho as to why we got through this far abd didn’t appear overly tired v the Danes.

Strangely feel less nervous over this one than the last three. Germany is well, Germany, and the next two would have felt like just another huge missed opportunity missed if we went out.

We didn’t, so if we lose to Italy in the final (in my book the best team pretty much throughout) it’s still been a fantastic tournament for us.

As an England fan would be great to win of course. Despite how good Italy have been it is who forces the key moments in key games like this their way who win. I would have said Man City and Utd were the ‘better’ side across the season compared to both their opponents in both the European finals this year and both were beaten on the day.

I also think their were signs of Italy tiring up a bit in both their last two games. They have knocked out Belgium and Spain and are a fine side, and I really think our midfield will struggle and Italy would be worthy winners. We certainly at a one off game at Wembley can beat them. Everything is crossed.

5 hours ago, freezer said:

Three Lions Football GIFThoughts please boys and girls. 

I'm not tempting fate, it's all on the day, but feel if England can play with the same tempo as in the last few games we can do it. 

Only thing I'm struggling with is team selection. Mr Southgate has done very well so far so might just leave that to him and not fret too much over it. 

Will still be as nervous as hell but COME ON ENGLAND. 

How’s the boycott?

50 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It’s actually one of things we’ve improved massively this tourny, we show patience….it’s been key to us beating the Croatians and Germany and why we’ve no longer looked a “tired England” at a summer tournament.

Not saying it will be as easy v Italy, but it’s a big part imho as to why we got through this far abd didn’t appear overly tired v the Danes.

Fair comment Dave, we've improved...but I'd say that was from a fairly low start and I'd still argue we're not as good at it as the Italians. Mind you, we'd have been 50% better again on Wednesday if Pickford could just find an England player!

7 hours ago, richwwtk said:

It looks like a tough one but at least the best two teams in the tournament have made the final for a change.

Fingers crossed is all I can offer.

It’s an interesting debate, but surely the best two teams get to the final in any tournament? To do that they’ve obviously played well on a consistent basis and have beaten all other teams they’ve faced in the knockout stages on their way to the glamorous final? How does that make them worse than other teams who are “obviously better” but failed to progress? 

2 hours ago, BanburyRed said:

Shame that Spinazzola for Italy is out injured as arguably has been their best player, would've given Walker quite a time LB vs RB.

England need to look at the slight frailty of the goalkeeper Donnarumma when under pressure and in midfield Verrati is going to be spoiling & fouling, surprised he hasn't been sent off thus far. That's going to be a key area against the relative newbies of Philips, Mount, Rice. Might need some of Henderson's big game experience.

No-one has really got at the Chiellini - Bonucci pairing apart from Morata for Spain in their SF, England would do well to study that and move Sterling (maybe Saka and/or Sancho if picked) in and around them for pace and agility. They won't fancy that.

Hopefully, Pickford's little wobble in the SF against Denmark has gone and the luck thus far with the 'Sterling incident' and the fortunate rebound for the Kane goal off Schmeichel carries with us.

Promises to be a great game.......it's going to be tight, single goal in it methinks, possibly ET. Can't pick a winner right now, but no nerves from me!

This is a key area for me and one that I’m sure Southgate will be looking to exploit, it’s clear as day to see that at 36 Chiellini’s legs have gone.. we need to be looking at getting balls in behind him and utilising the pace we have upfront.

1 hour ago, italian dave said:

Fair comment Dave, we've improved...but I'd say that was from a fairly low start and I'd still argue we're not as good at it as the Italians. Mind you, we'd have been 50% better again on Wednesday if Pickford could just find an England player!

Yep, I commented pre-Tourny, too lazy to do the hard yards in a press, too lazy to work openings so go for Hollywood passes too quickly.

Weve improved.  Will we see that bear fruit on Sunday?  I don’t know.  But we are definitely in a better place.

33 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

It’s an interesting debate, but surely the best two teams get to the final in any tournament? To do that they’ve obviously played well on a consistent basis and have beaten all other teams they’ve faced in the knockout stages on their way to the glamorous final? How does that make them worse than other teams who are “obviously better” but failed to progress? 

One could argue that Belgium might well have got to the final if they'd been in the other side of the draw. One thing I havent worked out is that how did two group winners (who both won 3/3) meet in the last 8? With six group winners and 8 games, could/should all group winners have been kept apart?

If Italy play like they did in the first half against against Belgium, we're in trouble but if they play like they did in the second half, we've got a great chance. It's just too close to call.

I don't think it'll be a cagey game though, Italy get the ball forward frighteningly quickly and we are best when using Sterling and Saka's pace.

1 hour ago, fgrsimon said:

One could argue that Belgium might well have got to the final if they'd been in the other side of the draw. One thing I havent worked out is that how did two group winners (who both won 3/3) meet in the last 8? With six group winners and 8 games, could/should all group winners have been kept apart?

If Italy play like they did in the first half against against Belgium, we're in trouble but if they play like they did in the second half, we've got a great chance. It's just too close to call.

I don't think it'll be a cagey game though, Italy get the ball forward frighteningly quickly and we are best when using Sterling and Saka's pace.

It’s six group winners and four games in the quarter finals, not eight games. 

Therefore if all six group winners won their last 16 games, it’s inevitable that there would be at least one quarter final match between group winners. 

11 minutes ago, North London Red said:

It’s six group winners and four games in the quarter finals, not eight games. 

Therefore if all six group winners won their last 16 games, it’s inevitable that there would be at least one quarter final match between group winners. 

Yep you're right, maths was never my strong point despite having an A level in it!

6 hours ago, Malago said:

If you look at Italy’s form over the six games they’ve played, it’s definitely tailing off.  The won their first two games in spectacular fashion 3-0, laboured against Wales, winning 1-0.  They needed extra time to beat a poor Austrian side.  Their form then picked up for he first  45 minutes against Belgium, but were forced back in the 2nd, eventually resorting to the worst type of gamesmanship to see them over the line.   Finally, they were second best throughout the entire 120 minutes  against Spain.

Conversely, our performances have improved with each game and we seem to be peaking at the right time.

If think it’s ours for the taking provided we play as well as we did against Denmark.

Laboured but nonetheless dominant, in particular 2nd half vs 10, and they also rested most of their side so that one is a bit misleading.

Are Austria that poor? Debatable- think they have some decent players, Belgium 2nd half they still had more possession and one more shot, but yes some gamesmanship too.

4 hours ago, BanburyRed said:

Maybe I've missed bits but he's also a great passer, in fact he's known for it.

Committed as per SofaScore, 1.3 fouls per game- whereas been fouled 2.5 times (of course there's fouls and 'fouls'), 69.3 accurate (93%) per game and bundled up within that is 3 Key Passes per game- not sure that spoiling and fouling necessarily his game, though he might have it in his locker. Definitely a Passing midfielder first.

Archived