Jump to content
IGNORED

England vs Italy. Is it coming home?


freezer
 Share

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Grealish,Sterling,stones to mention 3

Not to go over thing I have already posted but Sterling has a very poor penalty record. What is the point of him waving his willy around taking a penalty he is likely to miss just to look confident. And why on Earth would Southgate let him?

Edit: Grealish has taken (and scored) one penalty in youth football. Stones has never taken one at any sort of professional level.

Edited by LondonBristolian
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, joe jordans teeth said:

He hits the target it’s in,think you can forgive a shit penalty that is saved but to not hit the target is a bit shocking 

Yep when the whole point in that pen was putting it to the other side of the goalie. Got half the goal to aim at

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Newquay-Red said:

Sorry, what?

He's the best manager we have had in decades and some wrong decisions in the penalty shootout won't change that 

From the second half we ran out of ideas, the bloke is a LOSER

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Frustrating that we had a great start but then proceeded to concede the initiative ( has Southgate been reading Lee Johnson’s book on clever football tactics?) but equally frustrating  that Pickford saved 2 Italy penalties but we still managed to lose the shoot out.

Our missed penalties were with stop start run ups and trying to be clever. Kane and Maguire took no nonsense pens so perhaps that’s a lesson to learn going forward.

Absolutely two old school penalties.

Really don’t like this fancy pants messing around with it.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

His decisions, multiple ones, also got us to the final.

 

His decision making tonight was pretty poor. Bringing Rashford and Sancho for the penalty shootout left him with egg on his face. 
Tactical genius he ain’t!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

We've lost a Cup Final on penalties, but this England team have done the country proud, with a young, talented team led superbly by Gareth Southgate. Well done to Italy, but England's time will come.

I share your pride of this endeavor.

But I have no faith that our ‘time will come’.

Lots of challenges if you only honestly want to complete with Spain, Italy, France, Argentina etc.

A conversation for another time.

Edited by 054123
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Harry said:

Henderson. He was quick enough to grab the ball for a penalty in the recent friendly, where was he tonight!! 

Henderson was taken off for one of Gareth's penalty takers with two minutes to go.

Bit hard to take one when you're not on the pitch Harry.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, LondonBristolian said:

Not to go over thing I have already posted but Sterling has a very poor penalty record. What is the point of him waving his willy around taking a penalty he is likely to miss just to look confident. And why on Earth would Southgate let him?

Just looked that up and his record is better than saka so why would he be swinging his Willy about 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

I’m hoping that some melts don’t take to Twitter now to abuse the players who’ve missed. 
 

Might of lost on penalties, but undefeated the whole tournament in match time.   

Still no ******* trophy, though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

We've lost a Cup Final on penalties, but this England team have done the country proud, with a young, talented team led superbly by Gareth Southgate. Well done to Italy, but England's time will come.

That WAS our time and I'm sorry but our cautious manager blew it. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Midlands Robin said:

Henderson was taken off for one of Gareth's penalty takers with two minutes to go.

Bit hard to take one when you're not on the pitch Harry.

That’s exactly what I mean mate. Why take him off. He volunteered for a penalty 3 weeks ago when he wasn’t the designated taker. Surely he should’ve been one of the takers. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

Lots of people saying Grealish should be taking one. Well, it looked to me when they were in the huddle that he wanted one. 
Perhaps as usual, Southgate didn’t trust him. 
Shaw is a set piece specialist. Perhaps he should’ve stepped up as well. 
How about the most senior player and ex captain, Henderson. He was quick enough to grab the ball for a penalty in the recent friendly, where was he tonight!! 
Looking at the huddle, I’d guess Southgate had Grealish & Shaw down as sudden death takers. 
Big mistake. 

I dunno. Did you see Shaw's very nervous soft penalty for United in the Europa League final.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, 054123 said:

I share your pride of this endeavor.

But I have no faith that our ‘time will come’.

Lots of challenges if you only honestly want to complete with Spain, Italy, France, Argentina etc.

A conversation for another time.

I'm a City fan, always look on the bright side. I can see England improving so why not dream?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, boatman said:

Absolutely two old school penalties.

Really don’t like this fancy pants messing around with it.

Rashfords technique reminded me of JET. It’s a good technique, always worked for JET - but it’s pretty fundamental to it that you get it on target!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

People on a forum telling some of the best players in the world how to take a penalty! 

I’m not suggesting how they take a penalty.

What I would do is tell them how NOT to take a penalty i.e. with stop start run ups, a hop skip and a jump followed by a  mammy pamby kick and the almost certain keeper save.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, swanker said:

His decision making tonight was pretty poor. Bringing Rashford and Sancho for the penalty shootout left him with egg on his face. 
Tactical genius he ain’t!

No one said he is, but he is in credit.

 

From 2016 to now we are a completely different animal.

Not as free flowing or exciting to watch, perhaps. But we gets results.

World Cup semis in 2018, final of the Euros this time with a lot of young players. 

 

Onto 2024 now

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Harry said:

That’s exactly what I mean mate. Why take him off. He volunteered for a penalty 3 weeks ago when he wasn’t the designated taker. Surely he should’ve been one of the takers. 

Right, got you mate. Yeah, he should have stayed on to take one.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Harry said:

Lots of people saying Grealish should be taking one. Well, it looked to me when they were in the huddle that he wanted one. 
Perhaps as usual, Southgate didn’t trust him. 
Shaw is a set piece specialist. Perhaps he should’ve stepped up as well. 
How about the most senior player and ex captain, Henderson. He was quick enough to grab the ball for a penalty in the recent friendly, where was he tonight!! 
Looking at the huddle, I’d guess Southgate had Grealish & Shaw down as sudden death takers. 
Big mistake. 

Henderson had been subbed / Southgate just saying it was his call for the penalty order 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Harry said:

That’s exactly what I mean mate. Why take him off. He volunteered for a penalty 3 weeks ago when he wasn’t the designated taker. Surely he should’ve been one of the takers. 

I did find that odd. I’d have put Henderson ahead of Sterling, Saka, Stones, Shaw or Grealish.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, JonDolman said:

I dunno. Did you see Shaw's very nervous soft penalty for United in the Europa League final.

Fair point. But he’s a set piece taker and has bigger game experience than saka. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Better team won.

Southgate had the stronger hand after 10 minutes, one goal up and a fresher squad. 
 

Continued his negative philosophy, that got us far. …... but fell short against a top team.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...