IGNORED

Reality Bites - The Cupboard is Bare - Sell to Buy

Davefevs

Gregor’s interview with Nige earlier today.  @GrahamC has been saying for weeks that he expects the kitty to be small, and with Atkinson’s signing that it might be the budget spent.

It looks that way.  And alongside the “team for Blackpool” thread we have a reasonable squad.

The return of long term injured players like Weimann, Martin, Dasilva, O’Dowda, Baker and Williams gives us a big improvement on the squad we ended the season with.

There are 2 key issues, it sounds a cliche but Dave Rennie is as important as any signing we have made this summer.

Keeping more of a smaller squad (with several key players in it) fit far more often is essential.

Secondly I was struck by Pearson’s comments about not wanting a big squad with players “loafing around” as he typically described it.

Basically this should mean everyone in the squad thinks they have a realistic chance to be involved & works accordingly. 
His comments about not everyone in the squad grasping the opportunity were definitely aimed at a couple realising this & that they will be moved on or left out in the cold if they don’t shape up.

Weimann, Martin and Wells are 3 highly experienced and highly paid strikers.

I'd quite like someone around the age of 24-26 to join them but we should have enough firepower to be okay this season. Can't see Martin staying next season however, we need some younger blood moving forward. 

15 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Sell to buy isn’t anything new, virtually every other Championship club are in the same position. GmG is telling us what we already knew.

New for City though, previous managers had usually been given funds they asked for, so while its the same boat for everyone its still new for City in that sense.

Presumably Nige doesn't rate Piggot enough to sign him....or think he will improve us..... given he's free. I accept no player is free there being signing on fee and wages but coming from L1 he can't be that expensive and we have cut the wage bill already.

34 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Sell to buy isn’t anything new, virtually every other Championship club are in the same position. GmG is telling us what we already knew.

Gregor isn't telling us, Nigel is. Gregor is just reporting his words.

No surprise perhaps, though it seems odd Nigel didn't say it earlier as he must have known the available budget.

28 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

New for City though, previous managers had usually been given funds they asked for, so while its the same boat for everyone its still new for City in that sense.

It’s not new to City at all - LJ had the same remit. Why do you suppose City had to sell our better players?

21 minutes ago, Robbored said:

It’s not new to City at all - LJ had the same remit. Why do you suppose City had to sell our better players?

Not in the same way though, we needed to sell players to balance the books but there was always still funds should the head coach/manager make the case, Lansdown said as much himself. Now we literally have to sell before we can sign. 

6 minutes ago, RobintheRed Red said:

Lee johnson sold some of our better players but bought crap ones to replace them with a little help from Ashton .

Yep, the pair of them failed to replace the likes of Brownhill, Pack, Kelly, Webster with players of similar quality and Brentford had done. They really did damage the club.

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

Not too concerned. Next season isn’t a push for the play offs and we have 4 strikers already.   If we get one then great, if not then so be it. Hopefully we can progress some kids and finish mid table 

Agreed & with the quality of the "young uns" that will be itching for their chance I feel quite comfortable with it all so far.

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

Not too concerned. Next season isn’t a push for the play offs and we have 4 strikers already.   If we get one then great, if not then so be it. Hopefully we can progress some kids and finish mid table 

Yep, different starting place this season, and there’s no way we could recruit like we did in 19/20 when we spent £25m on transfer fees alone.  Madness.  Let alone wage bill increase etc.

43 minutes ago, Robbored said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

26 minutes ago, RobintheRed Red said:

Lee johnson sold some of our better players but bought crap ones to replace them with a little help from Ashton .

⬆️⬆️⬆️ Because they pissed the money earned off the back of previous recruitment and Academy up the wall.  Boy are we paying for that.  Like kids in a sweet shop.

29 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Not in the same way though, we needed to sell players to balance the books but there was always still funds should the head coach/manager make the case, Lansdown said as much himself. Now we literally have to sell before we can sign. 

So we needed to sell to buy under johnson then,

And we've had funds we've spent 2 million quid on a defender and some good signing fees for James and King

All the clubs out side those in the prem or those just relegated are in the same boat

Dont be surprised if you see at least 8 clubs across all leagues go into administration as well as one clubs go to the wall completely

4 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

So we needed to sell to buy under johnson then,

And we've had funds we've spent 2 million quid on a defender and some good signing fees for James and King

All the clubs out side those in the prem or those just relegated are in the same boat

Dont be surprised if you see at least 8 clubs across all leagues go into administration as well as one clubs go to the wall completely

Previously we've had to sell to meet FFP its a difference

37 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

⬆️⬆️⬆️ Because they pissed the money earned off the back of previous recruitment and Academy up the wall.  Boy are we paying for that.  Like kids in a sweet shop.

It’s mental isn’t it. Really kuffin’ mental. Now we’re out of that disastrous relationship, how could we have so bloody stupid.

Massive failure at the very highest level. 

39 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

It’s mental isn’t it. Really kuffin’ mental. Now we’re out of that disastrous relationship, how could we have so bloody stupid.

And many of us could see it very early on

1 hour ago, BanburyRed said:

Just goes to show how much money we've wasted over the last couple of seasons and have nothing to show for it. Project reset.

Again, how many times have we been in this position it's a cliché but we never learn. 

7 hours ago, Lrrr said:

Previously we've had to sell to meet FFP its a difference

My reading is that this is FFP biting due to the pandemic. SL would fund the signings if needed but we’re being more cautious about spending due to huge losses we incurred over the past year

8 hours ago, Robbored said:

Yep, the pair of them failed to replace the likes of Brownhill, Pack, Kelly, Webster with players of similar quality and Brentford had done. They really did damage the club.

It's difficult to replace like for like when you sell your best players. The trick is not to replace them with absolute pony and that was the area that Teflon's spreadsheet fell over. That man was a detestable bastard and the sooner he is out of football the better although it might be nice for a few gobshite Ipswich fans to have to suffer him for a while first.

7 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

The worst bit for me is that Steve Lansdown had the ******* cheek to say that Teflon received "unfair criticism" from fans. Next thing you know we get a proper Manager in who says all the right things but at the end of it all, even though he got the resignation in first, Teflon's arse was kicked out of the door alongside a fair number of Teflon's players. The best thing in all of this was that the End of Season Awards with the Champagne Moment voted by the fans sent the perfect message to the Owner of the club. We have got a very bumpy season ahead, I think we will be fine tbh but it will be hard work..........unfair criticism my bollocks.

Am I the only person that thinks that if Nige isn't given money to spend at some point in the next year he'll be off? If he has a reasonable season with us surely a bigger club will come for him?

I'm sure he's aware that our owner is one of the wealthiest men in the country and might expect him to open his wallet and try to get us to the Premier league one day. 

If Lansdown has any ambition at all, surely he'll know this? I know he's invested millions over the years and without him we'd be fubar but I don't know if Nige will hang around being fed freebies and playing kids. Only time will tell I suppose.

1 minute ago, harvey54 said:

Am I the only person that thinks that if Nige isn't given money to spend at some point in the next year he'll be off? If he has a reasonable season with us surely a bigger club will come for him?

I'm sure he's aware that our owner is one of the wealthiest men in the country and might expect him to open his wallet and try to get us to the Premier league one day. 

If Lansdown has any ambition at all, surely he'll know this? I know he's invested millions over the years and without him we'd be fubar but I don't know if Nige will hang around being fed freebies and playing kids. Only time will tell I suppose.

I don’t think Nige is like that. He appears to have embraced the challenge and knows what needs to be done.

2 minutes ago, harvey54 said:

Nige said five to six windows to build what he wants so you have to assume that there is a spending plan that matches that timeframe. If there wasn't then it would be as stupid for Pearson to take the job as it would be for Lansdown not to have the financial plan in that timeframe.

28 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

It's difficult to replace like for like when you sell your best players. The trick is not to replace them with absolute pony and that was the area that Teflon's spreadsheet fell over. That man was a detestable bastard and the sooner he is out of football the better although it might be nice for a few gobshite Ipswich fans to have to suffer him for a while first.

Out of interest, who were the ‘pony’ players that Mark Ashton/Lee Johnson brought in? I’m talking permanent signings.

The reason I ask is that I seem to remember the team doing generally quite well under Lee Johnson. We were in the top 6 before the pandemic produced a unique set of circumstances. Last season, the team started quite well and was then massively undermined by injuries.

Our new manager’s record is appalling, so much so that even he expressed surprise at the fans’ vocal social media backing for him. He does, though, have the right to be given time because of the unique circumstances he found himself in and finds himself in.

Im just trying to sort out the emotion from the logic.

Archived