IGNORED

Reality Bites - The Cupboard is Bare - Sell to Buy

Davefevs

2 hours ago, billywedlock said:

Bentley leaving to fund a striker ? 

Bloody hope not.  Replacing him woukd not be easy and would require some if the money brought in from him to replace him.  Obviously if we get a stupid offer then not a lot we can do but I don’t think he’s someone you “trade” if that makes sense.

13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Bloody hope not.  Replacing him woukd not be easy and would require some if the money brought in from him to replace him.  Obviously if we get a stupid offer then not a lot we can do but I don’t think he’s someone you “trade” if that makes sense.

Agreed - makes sense to trade Nagy as he’s in the last year of his contract and we can get c.£2m I would think which could then be used to fund the striker that Nige wants..

We need to keep the likes of Kalas and Bentley.....

2 hours ago, billywedlock said:

Bentley leaving to fund a striker ? 

Nagy would be an ideal transfer out as we’re well stocked in midfield. The question is, doesn’t anybody want him at a decent price?

On 10/07/2021 at 08:05, Lew-T said:

And people say Lee Johnson was a success.

15 minutes ago, IdliketoRogerMoore said:

And some people say Sean O’Driscoll was a failure!

And some people say Father Christmas doesn’t exit. The fools!

42 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

At 28 years old, you'd expect Bentley to be playing at the highest possible level, or at least wanting to be. Perhaps he was hoping that would be the case with us, when he signed. If he has the ambition to play at a higher level, I'd expect him to seek out a move. And he'd be one we could expect a reasonable fee for, especially as Pearson has stated that we're very lucky in the goalkeeping department. That fee could be utilised in other departments (striker).

Is this Pearsons way of influencing the market, like stating we'd have to sell to buy, both having some truth but maybe, just sounding out the market a bit. 

8 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

So the striker he has in mind is expensive. Seeing we need to generate a few million do people think it could be the Blackpool striker we are after. Or is he out the price range 

About to sign a new contract is the rumour, so I think it’s someone else.  No idea who.

2 minutes ago, Rich said:

At 28 years old, you'd expect Bentley to be playing at the highest possible level, or at least wanting to be. Perhaps he was hoping that would be the case with us, when he signed. If he has the ambition to play at a higher level, I'd expect him to seek out a move. And he'd be one we could expect a reasonable fee for, especially as Pearson has stated that we're very lucky in the goalkeeping department. That fee could be utilised in other departments (striker).

Is this Pearsons way of influencing the market, like stating we'd have to sell to buy, both having some truth but maybe, just sounding out the market a bit. 

My question would be - how many PL teams would he be a starter?  Famous last words, but I think he will still be here.

Just now, Davefevs said:

About to sign a new contract is the rumour, so I think it’s someone else.  No idea who.

My question would be - how many PL teams would he be a starter?  Famous last words, but I think he will still be here.

Not doubting his ability, are we???

35 minutes ago, Rich said:

Not doubting his ability, are we???

Nope, top keeper for us, could improve his command of the area and kicks from too deep, but one of the small number of playing regularly for a top 6 team.

Huge gulf to PL.

Hoping he’s settled here with his wife and new(ish) baby.  Having to go and replace him is not easy. 

54 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I hope you're right. But I do wonder whether the money he could earn might persuade Bentley to sit on Southampton's bench for a living. 

He seems a level headed fella so hopefully prefers playing to just picking up a wage.

Pearson said we are "blessed" in the goalkeeping department so clearly rates him and, personally, I don't think it was a co-incidence that Bentley was chosen to front up on the club's live broadcast the day the fixtures were announced. 

On 10/07/2021 at 09:29, Son of Fred said:

To provide balance Djuric & Szmodics were decent players...

Correctly utilised? - another story.

You can't account for injury(don't mention the hamstring papers)?.

And as for young Walsh??

Watch him tear it up for Swansea this season..

After watching Walsh in the games that he played for city what did he do that makes you think he will tear up the championship this season genuinely interested 

On 09/07/2021 at 21:22, Davefevs said:

Gregor’s interview with Nige earlier today.  @GrahamC has been saying for weeks that he expects the kitty to be small, and with Atkinson’s signing that it might be the budget spent.

It looks that way.  And alongside the “team for Blackpool” thread we have a reasonable squad.

The return of long term injured players like Weimann, Martin, Dasilva, O’Dowda, Baker and Williams gives us a big improvement on the squad we ended the season with.

If you allow your best assets to run down their contracts and leave for nothing, how else can you finance a replacement?

On 11/07/2021 at 13:39, Davefevs said:

Brighton is the only one I could think of, just sold Ryan, Sanchez is inexperienced & Bentley is far better than anyone else they have.

Said this a while ago, if we are looking to sell to buy a striker then we can only do so if there is a buyer, so if there is no interest in say, Nagy then we have limited options.

Would not be at all surprised to see us start the season with what we currently have & if no transfers happen before deadline day a few weeks after, loan in a kid from a Prem club as another option to Wells, Martin, Weimann & our youngsters.

On 09/07/2021 at 23:17, Monkeh said:

So we needed to sell to buy under johnson then,

And we've had funds we've spent 2 million quid on a defender and some good signing fees for James and King

All the clubs out side those in the prem or those just relegated are in the same boat

Dont be surprised if you see at least 8 clubs across all leagues go into administration as well as one clubs go to the wall completely

We are in a pretty healthy position and like you said, there are quite a few clubs who are going to be in a fair bit of trouble. If there are 8/9 who get a points deduction then it’s a good time to take a hit for them even if they start at a negative points position 

It means the others have a head start and puts them at an advantage because of their financial prudence or parachute payments 

At least it lessens our chances of being relegated but also improves any potential play off push if NP gets the team to click straight away?

On 11/07/2021 at 14:20, Clevedon Red said:

If anyone is leaving my money is on Kalas.

I would agree, I think he struggles with the Championship and would be better suited to a less hectic league 

I don’t think NP rates him or thinks he’s what he needs at the moment. I think Nagy is also a player that is at the wrong place at the wrong time 

If we can get £6m for the both then take it and use it on a striker/winger 

3 hours ago, Clutton Caveman said:

If you allow your best assets to run down their contracts and leave for nothing, how else can you finance a replacement?

Yep….what a cluster#### of a strategy from our departed CEO (and SL / JL for letting it happen).

2 hours ago, INCRED said:

We are in a pretty healthy position and like you said, there are quite a few clubs who are going to be in a fair bit of trouble. If there are 8/9 who get a points deduction then it’s a good time to take a hit for them even if they start at a negative points position 

It means the others have a head start and puts them at an advantage because of their financial prudence or parachute payments 

At least it lessens our chances of being relegated but also improves any potential play off push if NP gets the team to click straight away?

Out of interest, where do you get 8 or 9 from.  With the recently published “EFL embargo” site, I don’t think many / any (?) getting a points deductions

Archived