IGNORED

This season - who are you excited about watching?

Jacki

I was thinking about the upcoming season the other day, and got to thinking about the squad of players we currently have at AG.

I don’t know about all of you, but I have always been someone who likes to have a few players in the side who I am excited about watching. Players with real class (Tinnion, Hartley, Bryan, Webster for example) or players who will get you off your seat with a moment of magic (Jacki, Walsh, Murray, even players like Eliasson). Strikers who could pop up with a goal at any time like Taylor, Goater, Tammy or Kodjia.

This got me to thinking…. Who is there in the current squad that you are particularly looking forward to watching this season? Pretty much all of the players I have been excited by in recent years have gone. Brownhill, Webster, Reid, Bryan, Paterson, Fammy…. Even Tomlin, grade A prat that he was, would get you off your seat at times. Who is there now that makes you think ‘can’t wait to watch x play today’? I really can’t think of many….. Bentley perhaps? Palmer on his day? Anyone else?

It seems like the vast majority of our business ahead of this season is done, so I don’t think this is going to change. Can anyone cheer me up and give me some reasons to be excited? 

HNM could really be a star, I hope that Pearson can get him a little more disciplined and focused, and working in an organised midfield. I'm hopeful he could step up this year.
Same for Bakinson. He has everything for an attacking MF. Just about the best progressive passer at the club, great touch and decent vision, plus can shoot. Problem has been concentration of focus. If there wasn't an obvious pass he could get stuck, and caught on the ball. Could also do that lazy pass/flick that put defenders in trouble. Another I hope buys into NP's plans and steps up a level.
I'm hoping we are more of a team this year, Pearson has spotted many problems, one of which is creating chances. Give Wells proper service and he will score goals. I hope we improve on the number of chances we make as if you don't create chances, it doesn't matter who's up top.
Looking forward to finally seeing Joe Williams get a run too.

Excited though ? Not really anyone player, excited to see some enjoyable organised football. Something that has been missing from the Gate for best part of 2 years.

10 minutes ago, Harry said:

Matty James, if he stays fit, could possibly be one of the best players to ever wear a City shirt. 

Is he that good? 30 or thereabouts and played less than 200 games in his career?

Sorry to doubt but unless I'm missing something obvious that is a big statement to make!

I’m looking forward to seeing Matty James and Joe Williams this season. Above all, though, I just hope they can stay fit. Watching Rob Atkinson bringing it out from the back could also be fun, judging by the clips of him at Oxford. 

Mainly the youngsters like Scott and Britton to be honest and seeing how they develop. But of the probable regular starters then it's the new signings like Atkinson and James but also the likes of Weimann. Hoping he will be like a new signing after coming back from injury. He certainly can have his exciting moments. And who knows O'Dowda might even surprise and excite us this season if he finally kicks on and gets into some good consistent form. It's certainly long overdue!

The 11 that start against Blackpool for a start, which youngsters will develop further?

Will the likes of HNM, Bakinson & Semenyo  step up another gear?

Who will benefit most from Pearson’s leadership? My guess is Taylor Moore! Ok you can stop laughing now, injured for most of the latter part of last season & appears to have bulked up more from what I remember from last season.

44 minutes ago, Harry said:

Matty James, if he stays fit, could possibly be one of the best players to ever wear a City shirt. 

For me, this is what we wanted in a player from Gary O’Neil (who was 33 when he signed), but James is younger.  Many will bemoan O’Neil’s time here, but he was a top player, just hit by injuries unfortunately.  

Rob Atkinson is definitely one for me, think we may have picked up a real gem there. And I’m excited to see a number of the young forwards, maybe one will have an explosive breakout season which is always great to see (Bell, Owura, Britton, maybe Saikou). 

Taking your question a little more loosely, I’m very excited to see how a talented Everton squad do under a good manager… that all the fans hate. Just a fascinating scenario there at the mo.

It's a fair point, I wouldn't say we have any exciting players.

A few have the potential to be so - Semenyo, Scott, and if @Harry is right, James, but his career appearance record is very poor, and  unlikely to suddenly change at his age.

Oh, for another Albert, such an exciting player who could enliven a dull team and otherwise mundane performance on his own, get the crowd going, and at least send you home feeling you'd watched a really talented player and entertainer.

The main reason I'm sorry Liam Walsh has left, someone liable to produce something a bit different, engage the crowd, and the sort of player I look forward to watching.

57 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

Is he that good? 30 or thereabouts and played less than 200 games in his career?

Sorry to doubt but unless I'm missing something obvious that is a big statement to make!

Agreed. There are so many City legends we all respect. At the end of the day it depends on how old you are what era you started visiting Ashton Gate. 

Semenyo when he gets running at players is always a good sight, real pace and power and seems to glide past them. If he can sort out his decision making and get some of his power shots on target, he may have a good season.

If NP can get a tune out of Palmer he could turn into a excellent player for us. His appearances at the end showed more energy and willingness to get involved with the defensive side (although it's not his strongest). The way he holds off players and keeps the ball reminds me of Dembele when he was at Spurs.

In terms of youth, Alex Scott I think is our 'brightest' talent, but I would like to see Britton play more. When he came on a roughed up Brentford for 20 mins and got a poachers goal, he really impressed me.

1 hour ago, Jacki said:

I was thinking about the upcoming season the other day, and got to thinking about the squad of players we currently have at AG.

I don’t know about all of you, but I have always been someone who likes to have a few players in the side who I am excited about watching. Players with real class (Tinnion, Hartley, Bryan, Webster for example) or players who will get you off your seat with a moment of magic (Jacki, Walsh, Murray, even players like Eliasson). Strikers who could pop up with a goal at any time like Taylor, Goater, Tammy or Kodjia.

This got me to thinking…. Who is there in the current squad that you are particularly looking forward to watching this season? Pretty much all of the players I have been excited by in recent years have gone. Brownhill, Webster, Reid, Bryan, Paterson, Fammy…. Even Tomlin, grade A prat that he was, would get you off your seat at times. Who is there now that makes you think ‘can’t wait to watch x play today’? I really can’t think of many….. Bentley perhaps? Palmer on his day? Anyone else?

It seems like the vast majority of our business ahead of this season is done, so I don’t think this is going to change. Can anyone cheer me up and give me some reasons to be excited? 

Atkinson, Dasilva, Massengo, Williams, Semenyo, Nagy, Scott, Bell, Conway, Pearson 

Just now, Lew-T said:

Realistically are we going to see the likes of Scott, Conway and Pearson involved with the first team this season?

Only if they really make an impression. Probably loans though.

5 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Realistically are we going to see the likes of Scott, Conway and Pearson involved with the first team this season?

IMO I expect to see a few of them go out on loan. The championship is a brutal league as we know. Whilst technically they are good enough. Physically and mentally I would like to see them spend a season on loan in league 1. 

We’ve been so poor since lockdown & football temporarily stopped that in truth before we get to “excited”, I’ll settle for organised, committed and giving their all.

No one stands out as a player that I’m excited about watching, though if Andy King makes a significant contribution it will be great to see, as anyone who watched his interview on joining will realise this club means far more to him than it does to the Henri Lansbury’s & Liam Walshes of this world.

Archived