IGNORED

Paul Mariner R.I.P.

B1ackbird

Saw him play at the Gate with both the great Bobby Robson RIP team (Beattie, Wark, Whymark, Mills, Brazil etc etc) and also remember him on a night game for Plymouth when I vaguely remember Plymouth had just dispensed with the services of their then manager and Paul Mariner had returned from the USA to take over but there appeared to be a lot of uncertainity at the time as to exactly who was running Argyle and he appeared to be uncertain as to whether he was manager or not???  Can remember him standing in the centre circle as the players warmed up with him not really knowing if he should be getting involved or not??? Whatever another very sad loss for both the football family and his own family and friends.  Taken far too soon.  RIP Great Player and fine man ?

Very sad news and 68 is no age. I, like many of us of a certain age, remember that brilliant Ipswich side from when we were in the First Division who regularly tore us apart. They were one of my favourite sides to watch back then. He got 35 England caps too which is pretty good given all the other great players that were around at the time.

RIP Paul.

I remember getting his autograph at Ashton Gate when we played them back to back Saturdays, one in the league, one in the cup. I could only afford to go to one and picked the one we lost.

But he was good enough to stop for an autograph, so always liked him .

RIP Paul

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Remember him getting the goal v Hungary to get us to Spain 82.  RIP Paul.

Sm I right in thinking it was him and Cheesley battling it out for an England u23 place prior to the injury?

Great player and well respected. Only just seen the sad news on Sky channel in OZ. lets hope we can win the EURO for him

14 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Sm I right in thinking it was him and Cheesley battling it out for an England u23 place prior to the injury?

Yep, remember Tom Ritchie saying when Cheese retired that he felt he would have gone on to play for England as he knew he was biased, but he thought he was better than Mariner.

Very sad, no age at all & an excellent top flight player in his day, RIP.

6 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Yep, remember Tom Ritchie saying when Cheese retired that he felt he would have gone on to play for England as he knew he was biased, but he thought he was better than Mariner.

Very sad, no age at all & an excellent top flight player in his day, RIP.

Any one know why so young. Was he ill. very sad

Very sad news. As I understand it he died of brain cancer. I was a big admirer of his back in the day and we were strongly linked with him but missed out when he went to Ipswich. In truth he probably went to the right club as he and the two Dutch men made up the jigsaw when added to the side that beat us in the youth cup final. RIP Paul and condolences and prayers to his family and friends. 

50 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

True apparently, Cheesley could have gone on to better Paul Mariner IMHO

RIP Paul

1 hour ago, ralphindevon said:

I remember getting his autograph at Ashton Gate when we played them back to back Saturdays, one in the league, one in the cup. I could only afford to go to one and picked the one we lost.

But he was good enough to stop for an autograph, so always liked him .

RIP Paul

They won both those games here. I only went to one think it was the second game 4th round of the cup. 

31 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

They won both those games here. I only went to one think it was the second game 4th round of the cup. 

Oh yes that’s right, one was close, 1-2 which was the cup I think. I went to the 0-3 which was demoralising for a young teenager.

I saw him play in the Arsenal v Ipswich Cup Final in 1978. He didn't score that day, but what a handful he was for the Arsenal defence and their midfield was just totally overrun.  He did score on the way to that match to deny the Gash a rare appearance in the quarter-finals.

He also played in the charity game Ipswich played  against Southampton to help City out when we were facing financial oblivion.

A really good player, it was his misfortune to be at his peak at a time England were in something of a trough.

I believe he lived in the US for the last years of his life.

RIP Paul

I remember the Boxing Day game 1975 against Plymouth.  They had Paul Mariner and Billy Rafferty up front and we had Cheese and Tom Ritchie.  2-2 draw, a fantastic game as I remember, and two brace of strikers who were both top class.

RIP Paul.

Archived