IGNORED

Dear England

Jerseybean

My feeling over the past 18 months is that football doesn't matter a jot. There are far more important things in life, and that has been brought home with a bump during the pandemic. Some sports appear to be above the need for concern, football, horseracing, tennis, cricket, snooker, even the Olympics seem to operate outside the guidance. So Gareth is right to put things into perspective.  Having said that I shall be watching and cheering England on against Italy on Sunday...but whatever the result, Monday will be just another day living with Covid.

18 minutes ago, marmite said:

My feeling over the past 18 months is that football doesn't matter a jot. There are far more important things in life, and that has been brought home with a bump during the pandemic. Some sports appear to be above the need for concern, football, horseracing, tennis, cricket, snooker, even the Olympics seem to operate outside the guidance. So Gareth is right to put things into perspective.  Having said that I shall be watching and cheering England on against Italy on Sunday...but whatever the result, Monday will be just another day living with Covid.

And a hangover!

32 minutes ago, marmite said:

Its just a game of football, we hope our country wins but if they dont we probably wont die.

There will be other games, but this is our only life look after yours while respecting others.

Way over the top media coverage while other stuff is ignored imo.

Another 60,000 crowd of superspreaders is expected along with thousands of others who will be going to the pub and to fanparks to spread even more.  A large contingent of UEFA spreaders and heaven knows how many will manage to travel from the Italian hotspots.

In a couple of weeks, we are going to see a massive Resurgence of new cases, all because of a game of football.

That said, I will be cheering England on in front of the TV with a couple of close family members and we will all take a lateral flow test beforehand.

3 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

The more I see and read about Sterling, the clearer it becomes what an intelligent guy he is. In a weird way, he flies under the radar a little but he's one of the most outstanding players England have produced in my lifetime. 

5 hours ago, marmite said:

And things beyond the physiological, beyond safety and the love of your family the being part of something and having interest in something really does matter. Take away the arts, music, sport etc we lose normal social connections, we can lose sense of belonging, part of our self - These temporary but significant losses have damaged many peoples mental well being. 

9 hours ago, Cowshed said:

And things beyond the physiological, beyond safety and the love of your family the being part of something and having interest in something really does matter. Take away the arts, music, sport etc we lose normal social connections, we can lose sense of belonging, part of our self - These temporary but significant losses have damaged many peoples mental well being. 

I agree and very much hope it isn't one of the longer term effects of Covid. You get a feeling that a sizeable minority of people just seem happy to "get by" and "get through" on a daily basis at the moment. That really isn't a good thing. I'm not saying July 19th is necessarily the right time but I think there does have to be a point where we say "this isn't going away any time soon and we really cannot continue to live restricted lives for the next 10 years" and just get going again with relatively normal life (with perhaps one or two restrictions like face masks on public transport).

Theatres, comedy shows, gigs, sporting events.............they all need to come back with full fan attendance sooner rather than later.

12 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

The more I see and read about Sterling, the clearer it becomes what an intelligent guy he is. In a weird way, he flies under the radar a little but he's one of the most outstanding players England have produced in my lifetime. 

The impression I get is that his Mum is the "intelligent one" and that Sterling has done the right thing and followed her advice. A young Sterling was told at the special school he attended (special in terms of behavioural) that by 17 he would either be in prison or in an England shirt........that was some prediction!!

19 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Another 60,000 crowd of superspreaders is expected along with thousands of others who will be going to the pub and to fanparks to spread even more.  A large contingent of UEFA spreaders and heaven knows how many will manage to travel from the Italian hotspots.

In a couple of weeks, we are going to see a massive Resurgence of new cases, all because of a game of football.

That said, I will be cheering England on in front of the TV with a couple of close family members and we will all take a lateral flow test beforehand.

I agree to a certain extent . However , we have to get on with life. We can’t stay cooped up forever . Most of us have been double jabbed now. It’s the selfish pricks who won’t get vaccinated that are still causing the major problems. Covid will never go away , it will always be with us . 

6 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

The impression I get is that his Mum is the "intelligent one" and that Sterling has done the right thing and followed her advice. A young Sterling was told at the special school he attended (special in terms of behavioural) that by 17 he would either be in prison or in an England shirt........that was some prediction!!

His Mum’s advice could only get him so far. There is an incredible story when he was twelve and told the Head of Youth Development the training was not good enough. He did this so plausibly the guy looked into it and found he was right. Few 12 year olds could have easily spotted that problem, let alone communicated it to an adult in a way that got him listened to and got changes made.

I remember when Pep took over at City there were constant stories Sterling would be judged surplus to requirements but, whatever happens in the future, Sterling has made himself a key player for five years due to his adaptability, intelligence and ability to learn. 

And with England too. There are a lot of fast, skilful and technical players competing for Sterling’s position yet he has made himself virtually undroppable due to his intelligence, tactical awareness and ability to read the game. I honestly think he is an astonishing talent.

1 hour ago, steviestevieneville said:

I agree to a certain extent . However , we have to get on with life. We can’t stay cooped up forever . Most of us have been double jabbed now. It’s the selfish pricks who won’t get vaccinated that are still causing the major problems. Covid will never go away , it will always be with us . 

That's where I stand now. We have to be careful but there does come a point where you have to say "these restrictions cannot go on for ever". In my house my son had Covid confirmed a few days back, shook it off in two days flat but is still isolating and has to watch the game at home instead of with his mates and now my wife has caught it in "cold like" form (been double jabbed) and is just staying away from me for a few days!! Loads of people getting it where I live and nobody suffering serious symptoms that I know of.

Agree about the anti-vaxxers too...........but not enough for any ***** on here to start an argument about it so don't bother!!

9 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

His Mum’s advice could only get him so far. There is an incredible story when he was twelve and told the Head of Youth Development the training was not good enough. He did this so plausibly the guy looked into it and found he was right. Few 12 year olds could have easily spotted that problem, let alone communicated it to an adult in a way that got him listened to and got changes made.

I remember when Pep took over at City there were constant stories Sterling would be judged surplus to requirements but, whatever happens in the future, Sterling has made himself a key player for five years due to his adaptability, intelligence and ability to learn. 

And with England too. There are a lot of fast, skilful and technical players competing for Sterling’s position yet he has made himself virtually undroppable due to his intelligence, tactical awareness and ability to read the game. I honestly think he is an astonishing talent.

If he had a touch more composure than he has got he would have been a filthy talent. That's the one thing that doesn't put him up there in the "very top" company imo (mind you I wouldn't put cry baby Neymar in that company either like some do but that's another matter).

21 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

That's where I stand now. We have to be careful but there does come a point where you have to say "these restrictions cannot go on for ever". In my house my son had Covid confirmed a few days back, shook it off in two days flat but is still isolating and has to watch the game at home instead of with his mates and now my wife has caught it in "cold like" form (been double jabbed) and is just staying away from me for a few days!! Loads of people getting it where I live and nobody suffering serious symptoms that I know of.

Agree about the anti-vaxxers too...........but not enough for any ***** on here to start an argument about it so don't bother!!

Group of us been watching all the games in a mates garden. He tested positive yesterday . Just tested myself, luckily it was negative . So we’re off to another mates house . Absolutely gutted for my mate though ? let’s hope the lads can win so he gets a smile on his face. 

Archived