IGNORED

Gerlund v West Germany, 1966

Just watching it now, on C4. In colour, no less.

No replays, of anything. Or close ups of players flobbing and effing and jeffing. Or diving (Alan Ball should've gone down just now). Think we might do well to go back to this level of televised football. 

Bobby Moore and Bobby Charlton look decent. And Gordon Banks a reasonable "shot stopper." I like the look of this Franz Beckanbaeur too. Linesman looks a bit iffy this side, though .....

4 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Interesting to watch isn’t it? 

Clearly so much difference from the modern game, I.e the pace, the rules (fouls), fitness but even with all that Bobby Charlton looks like a boss.

Class is permanent

It is.

No such thing as a press, high or not!

Lovely to watch though, much simpler game.

If this is the match day thread I can see it being a tight game. Could well go to extra time and fancy Hurst to get on the score sheet. 

Russian officials so stand by for some controversial decisions. 

Result - you can never discount the Germans but fancy England at Wembley. 

Fascinating. The players seem to have more time on the ball than now and overall there is less intensity. Nobby Styles threw the ball down in anger when a decision went against him and the ref gave him a talking to. The pitch looks quite cut up. 

Some brilliant tackles from J Charlton and Moore. Players not scared to tackle for fear of getting booked or giving away a free kick. 

Bobby Moore very classy on the ball  

There’s a box drawn on the grass for the photographers etc to sit in behind the goal line.

And I love those old Wembley goalnets. 

23 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

I believe it follows calling the USA “Merica” or “Merca”

Social Media bollox basically

Don't know if you ever noticed?  But George Bush always seemed to call his countrymen......  "Merkins"   quite appropriate really? ?

41 minutes ago, downendcity said:

If this is the match day thread I can see it being a tight game. Could well go to extra time and fancy Hurst to get on the score sheet. 

Gonna get a few bottles of Double Diamond in, it apparently works wonders

56 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

If Hugh Johns is doing nothing tomorrow evening, I'd bring him in and drop that Sam Whatsisface to the ben .... to his sofa

Seeing as he died in 2007, I doubt he’s free.

1 hour ago, downendcity said:

Effin’ ell, Greaves not starting….Alf out.  442 without wingers, he’s out of his mind, Connelly will give us more end product, and Stiles is a red card waiting to happen with the Swiss ref.

1 hour ago, Gazred said:

It is.

No such thing as a press, high or not!

Lovely to watch though, much simpler game.

You say that but the Germans kept one forward high up the field towards the end , right on the last defender to stop the backpassing. Would work a treat today to stop the constant passing across the back line. Also loved the ref at free kicks stepping out the 10 yards. Kept waiting for the spray to come out his pocket.

Also the crowd waving Union Jacks. 

9 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

What an entertaining game it was and enjoyed it more than some modern day games as it was end to end football, honest, committed with plenty of endeavour, slightly naive at times and not a hint of any cheating or diving.......fantastic

It only appears naive because you are looking back at it with the benefit of hindsight and basing your judgement on the more cynical game we all know today.

22 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Effin’ ell, Greaves not starting….Alf out.  442 without wingers, he’s out of his mind, Connelly will give us more end product, and Stiles is a red card waiting to happen with the Swiss ref.

Lucky to get to the final with those tactics and team selections.

Can’t imagine another England manager in our lifetimes ever getting us to a major final with such conservative selections and tactics and not picking the fans’ favourites and continuing to pick tackling midfielders on bookings and at risk of suspension. :whistle:

9 minutes ago, downendcity said:

It only appears naive because you are looking back at it with the benefit of hindsight and basing your judgement on the more cynical game we all know today.

Yes very true and if you compare Gordon Banks kicking the ball up field with a couple of minutes to go compared to Trippier running towards the corner flag against Denmark with over five minutes left you get to see how the game has changed.

24 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

What an entertaining game it was and enjoyed it more than some modern day games as it was end to end football, honest, committed with plenty of endeavour, slightly naive at times and not a hint of any cheating or diving.......fantastic

A homer ref, proper tackling  allowed, players not trying to con the ref or get opponents booked or sent off and NO B****Y VAR!

P.S. Of course, had we lost then none of that would apply! :) 

Just now, Shaun Taylor said:

I couldn't believe how fit they were and would hold their own against today's modern footballer.

Especially bearing mind how much most of them smoked and drunk back then!

Whenever there is online discussion about the greatest players I often read comments ( I suspect by younger fans) that players of yesteryear could;t hold a candle to the likes of Messi and Ronaldo, and the evidence stated is that modern players are fitter and quicker than players of the past.

I wonder how modern players would contend with playing at Upton Park or the Baseball Ground in midwinter, with heavy leather balls and in every game having defenders prepared to cut you down at the knees rather than let you pass and with no protection from referees.

Similarly players like Best, Greaves et al would be sensational were they subject to the dietary control, better lifestyles and fitness regimes that today’s players enjoy. They would also enjoy the benefit of lightweight boots and balls and playing n billiard table pitches right through the season. 

1 minute ago, downendcity said:

Especially bearing mind how much most of them smoked and drunk back then!

Whenever there is online discussion about the greatest players I often read comments ( I suspect by younger fans) that players of yesteryear could;t hold a candle to the likes of Messi and Ronaldo, and the evidence stated is that modern players are fitter and quicker than players of the past.

I wonder how modern players would contend with playing at Upton Park or the Baseball Ground in midwinter, with heavy leather balls and in every game having defenders prepared to cut you down at the knees rather than let you pass and with no protection from referees.

Similarly players like Best, Greaves et al would be sensational were they subject to the dietary control, better lifestyles and fitness regimes that today’s players enjoy. They would also enjoy the benefit of lightweight boots and balls and playing n billiard table pitches right through the season. 

Good summary compairing the muddy pitches of the 70's to today's billiard tables with Derbys baseball ground probably the worse that I can remember which didn't stop them playing great football 

Archived