IGNORED

Gerlund v West Germany, 1966

35 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

Good summary compairing the muddy pitches of the 70's to today's billiard tables with Derbys baseball ground probably the worse that I can remember which didn't stop them playing great football 

They wouldn’t have got an £80m valuation on it back then!

For youngsters who don;t know what we are talking about........

...amd that’s not the worst Ive seen it. There was one game where a penalty was awarded and they had to get the groundsman out with his brush and tin of whitewash because they couldn't make out the penalty spot because of the mud!

34 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Especially bearing mind how much most of them smoked and drunk back then!

Whenever there is online discussion about the greatest players I often read comments ( I suspect by younger fans) that players of yesteryear could;t hold a candle to the likes of Messi and Ronaldo, and the evidence stated is that modern players are fitter and quicker than players of the past.

I wonder how modern players would contend with playing at Upton Park or the Baseball Ground in midwinter, with heavy leather balls and in every game having defenders prepared to cut you down at the knees rather than let you pass and with no protection from referees.

Similarly players like Best, Greaves et al would be sensational were they subject to the dietary control, better lifestyles and fitness regimes that today’s players enjoy. They would also enjoy the benefit of lightweight boots and balls and playing n billiard table pitches right through the season. 

I always think that top players in any era would be top players in another era….they’d adapt.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Wilson and Cohen were the best full backs of that era. Chopper Harris, a hard bastard but wasn’t quite Ramsey’s idea of a cultured full back.

You say that, but it’s hard to believe seeing how poor Cohen was.  I remember him playing in a Fulham side that got beaten 6-0 by City a season or two later.

10 minutes ago, downendcity said:

They wouldn’t have got an £80m valuation on it back then!

For youngsters who don;t know what we are talking about........

...amd that’s not the worst Ive seen it. There was one game where a penalty was awarded and they had to get the groundsman out with his brush and tin of whitewash because they couldn't make out the penalty spot because of the mud!

It's  amazing how good the football was on that pitch and how good Hugh Johns sounds after all those years!

4 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Interesting to watch isn’t it? 

Clearly so much difference from the modern game, I.e the pace, the rules (fouls), fitness but even with all that Bobby Charlton looks like a boss.

Class is permanent

Moore and Charlton looked outstanding, but the general standard of football is very poor to the modern observer.  Skill levels are sadly lacking, as is basic ball control.  Hopeful balls pumped downfield to no one in particular.  To what does the standard of football equate in the modern era?  I’ve always felt that the football we watched in Division 1 between 1976 and 1980 was no better than today’s Championship, and possibly only top end of League 1, but I suppose it was a different game then.  I suppose it’s true of all sports.  How would Rod Laver fare against Djokovic?  How would Don Bradman cope with Jimmy Anderson?

5 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Just watching it now, on C4. In colour, no less.

No replays, of anything. Or close ups of players flobbing and effing and jeffing. Or diving (Alan Ball should've gone down just now). Think we might do well to go back to this level of televised football. 

Bobby Moore and Bobby Charlton look decent. And Gordon Banks a reasonable "shot stopper." I like the look of this Franz Beckanbaeur too. Linesman looks a bit iffy this side, though .....

Sounds like the Sky Sports "Red Button" version..perhaps things really have gone full circle.? 

14 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Just watching it now, on C4. In colour, no less.

No replays, of anything. Or close ups of players flobbing and effing and jeffing. Or diving (Alan Ball should've gone down just now). Think we might do well to go back to this level of televised football. 

Bobby Moore and Bobby Charlton look decent. And Gordon Banks a reasonable "shot stopper." I like the look of this Franz Beckanbaeur too. Linesman looks a bit iffy this side, though .....

Now that’s real nostalgia.  I don’t think I’ve heard the word ‘flobbing’ since I was at school.

13 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I always think that top players in any era would be top players in another era….they’d adapt.

I think some would some would not

Would love to see the likes of Naymar playing in the 70s 

trying to run at a player on a pitch with inches of mud Then getting hit into row z

by Ron Harris and the ref saying play on!!!!

Some more things I noted watching this.

-Charlton at one point darted into the box and went down under a heavy German challenge. He didn't roll on the ground, screaming and grimacing, he simply sprang up again and ran back to his position.

-With about 5 mins to go of the 90, England entered a pattern of play you might describe as time wasting. When the ball was repeatedly knocked around at the back, and at one point passed back to Banks in goal, the crowd started booing. Hugh Johns confirmed that it was England fans booing. 'They don't want to see that,' he said. Wow, I thought. A few mins to go and 2-1 up in the World Cup Final no less, and your own fans boo your time wasting. Boy, how that will eventually change!

-The co-commentator, (didn't know there even was one back then) Dave Bowen I think he was called, only spoke when he was spoken to. I think a passage of about 20 minutes once went by without him uttering a word. How refreshing, when commentators today, including the co-commentator, feel it necessary to talk constantly about absolutely everything, scarcely leaving a second's pause for some peace and quiet.

1 hour ago, OneCity said:

Some more things I noted watching this.

-Charlton at one point darted into the box and went down under a heavy German challenge. He didn't roll on the ground, screaming and grimacing, he simply sprang up again and ran back to his position.

May be a meme of one or more people and text that says 'First professional soccer player accn'

Archived