IGNORED

Starting to be positive about new season.

Although I feel we still need a couple of players , particularly a quality centre forward the team  appears to be shaping up. 

Delighted that we are going with a smaller squad as I feel having players around who have no real chance of playing is unhealthy at best.

From the clips and interviews we've seen they will be fitter and more importantly stronger than were used to seeing , Danny Simpson said how tough it's been and he's been there before.

For any of the players who have not realised yet Nige is not going to accept anything less than total commitment, so expect a few more to be out the door before we kick off.

Dave Rennie looks like and sounds like he could be our most important asset this year , no nonsense and knows his stuff , don't see us falling to pieces this year barring contact or freak injuries. Likewise can see players getting back sooner as don't reckon the rehab option will be for the faint hearted.

As to a prediction most seem to feel anywhere safe is ok. However I can't see a born winner embarking on a season with that as an aspiration.Fully expect him to see us at least competing for a play off position. I've got a sneaky suspicion a few may be surprised by how well we do. 

Bring it on I've had enough of summer now looking forward to cold and 3 points at home!!!

• Like 7
  • Hmmm 1
  • Flames 2
  • Robin 3

35 minutes ago, Coolrunnings said:

Although I feel we still need a couple of players , particularly a quality centre forward the team  appears to be shaping up. 

Delighted that we are going with a smaller squad as I feel having players around who have no real chance of playing is unhealthy at best.

From the clips and interviews we've seen they will be fitter and more importantly stronger than were used to seeing , Danny Simpson said how tough it's been and he's been there before.

For any of the players who have not realised yet Nige is not going to accept anything less than total commitment, so expect a few more to be out the door before we kick off.

Dave Rennie looks like and sounds like he could be our most important asset this year , no nonsense and knows his stuff , don't see us falling to pieces this year barring contact or freak injuries. Likewise can see players getting back sooner as don't reckon the rehab option will be for the faint hearted.

As to a prediction most seem to feel anywhere safe is ok. However I can't see a born winner embarking on a season with that as an aspiration.Fully expect him to see us at least competing for a play off position. I've got a sneaky suspicion a few may be surprised by how well we do. 

Bring it on I've had enough of summer now looking forward to cold and 3 points at home!!!

I feel similar. 

I actually think we have a very good squad of players as long as most of them can stay fit.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

Williams, Cundy, Massengo and Seymenyo currently injured and Kalas, Wells and Nagy will be back in a week.

All potential starters (except Cundy) - Squad depth and quality looking decent IMO.

I wouldn't be surprised if we don't sign a striker.

Edited by VT05763
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, VT05763 said:

Williams, Cundy, Massengo and Seymenyo currently injured and Kalas, Wells and Nagy will be back in a week.

All potential starters (except Cundy) - Squad depth and quality looking decent IMO.

Oh no Massengo out injured? When was that reported? Really shame that one as was just thinking he was looking sharp in the most recent robins uncut preseason video(s) - any idea what the injury is/how long he'll be out for?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, WirralRobin said:

Oh no Massengo out injured? When was that reported? Really shame that one as was just thinking he was looking sharp in the most recent robins uncut preseason video(s) - any idea what the injury is/how long he'll be out for?

He has been training but not game fit so shouldn't be too long - IMO

I’ve been cautiously optimistic ever since Nige was appointed. To me he’s a real  manager the first since his former team mate Danny Wilson.

I’m convinced he’ll turn our club around after 5 or 6 years of LJ and Ashton gradually spoiling the club.

Two new appointments at the top of the AG hierarchy in Nige and RG is a breath of fresh air to our football club - and long overdue.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1
  • Flames 2

2 hours ago, Coolrunnings said:

I think talk of play offs is over the top but I admire your positivity and I do get the impression that Big Nige is working to a six window "plan" hence his comment on "sell to buy" right now..........the scattergun, kid in a sweet shop, clubs in the bag, 42 man squad approach condoned by previous CEO's and adopted by other Managers is over. We are operating a smaller squad with scope for youth to come through. There is clearly a degree of risk in that strategy in the short term. I will take "safe" and "drama free" all season long!!

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

Always look forward to the new season and always slightly over optimistic. But expecting a mid table finish this coming season. One major thing for me is our very worrying home form. Over the last 3 seasons we played 69 Won 23 drew 18 lost 28. Last season we lost 13 games at home. Hopefully NP will sort this out

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Always look forward to the new season and always slightly over optimistic. But expecting a mid table finish this coming season. One major thing for me is our very worrying home form. Over the last 3 seasons we played 69 Won 23 drew 18 lost 28. Last season we lost 13 games at home. Hopefully NP will sort this out

This is a very good point.

Our home form has been abysmal for a while & alongside keeping more key players fit far more often, is absolutely vital.

Even turning defeats into draws will help, we finished the season on an appalling run at AG.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I’ve been cautiously optimistic ever since Nige was appointed. To me he’s a real  manager the first since his former team mate Danny Wilson.

I’m convinced he’ll turn our club around after 5 or 6 years of LJ and Ashton gradually spoiling the club.

Two new appointments at the top of the AG hierarchy in Nige and RG is a breath of fresh air to our football club - and long overdue.

Well let’s hope he’s a little more successful than the hopeless Danny Wilson!

So Steve Cotterill not a real manager then?

• Like 7
  • Hmmm 1
  • Flames 3

49 minutes ago, Robbored said:

5-6 years? Thats along time in football, i hope he’ll turn us around way before then :laugh:.

3 hours ago, Coolrunnings said:

I’m thinking the same, NP won’t want to make us to make up the numbers. He is a winner and expects his teams to be at it so I wouldn’t be surprised if we got in the play offs 

2 minutes ago, INCRED said:

I’m thinking the same, NP won’t want to make us to make up the numbers. He is a winner and expects his teams to be at it so I wouldn’t be surprised if we got in the play offs 

🤣 🤣 🤣 Admit it - you forgot to take these off

The Ultimate Blue Blocking Glasses Guide

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Coolrunnings said:

Great post! Bring on the new season. 

2 hours ago, VT05763 said:

Can’t really share the optimism with everyone else.

After the so say clear out it’s basically the same squad but without Fam, and the addition of the two Leicester lads.

So while the midfield may be a little stronger we will miss Fams defensive capabilities at corners and free kicks and dare I say it his goals.

A higher level of fitness will help if that’s been achieved, but I fear our poor defensive record and lack of creativity from last season may well be carried over.

The likes of Martin, COD, Williams, Baker  and Wiemann have yet to put their fitness to the test in a real game.

Nigel has said he would be happy to go with the squad he has, but what else can he say?

I guess this is where he’ll earn his salary, organising and motivating the team, and my best hope is to turn those home defeats into more draws and wins, bottom half finish for me, and I sincerely hope I’m very wrong.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Coolrunnings said:

im with you, always thought on paper we have some good solid players, it just needed a good solid man like np to get the best out of them on grass. The easy street days for the players are over and with some good additions James and king being leaders, Atkinson bringing a good bit of height at the back which we have lacked since flint and webby. We dont have to have 11 fantastic players to go places we just need a solid fit %100 team pulling in one direction.

• Like 2

Im afraid I’ll believe it when I see it.

One-paced up front, lots of key players coming back from long-term injury, youngsters largely a red herring (not Championship-ready yet), old blokes signed (Simpson, King) and a manager who - worryingly for me - was completely unable to inspire, cajole, or organise any sort of resistance in the latter part of the season. Apart from that, bring it on. 

The positives are we might be fitter and have fewer injuries because of the less intense programme. Also, we’ve made a couple of reasonable-looking signings.

Don't really know where the optimism comes from. Our squad is still top loaded with players not good enough. We have made a couple of geriatric free signings and one cb.

Amazing how absence makes the heart grow fonder!

Anything above relegation with this squad of players would be a result!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

44 minutes ago, Countryfile said:

Can’t really share the optimism with everyone else.

After the so say clear out it’s basically the same squad but without Fam, and the addition of the two Leicester lads.

So while the midfield may be a little stronger we will miss Fams defensive capabilities at corners and free kicks and dare I say it his goals.

A higher level of fitness will help if that’s been achieved, but I fear our poor defensive record and lack of creativity from last season may well be carried over.

The likes of Martin, COD, Williams, Baker  and Wiemann have yet to put their fitness to the test in a real game.

Nigel has said he would be happy to go with the squad he has, but what else can he say?

I guess this is where he’ll earn his salary, organising and motivating the team, and my best hope is to turn those home defeats into more draws and wins, bottom half finish for me, and I sincerely hope I’m very wrong.

Why so pessimistic you've got it all, stability, a fantastic stadium & training facilities, super wealthy owner who spends his money,  already a decent squad and no doubts not yet complete, big fanbase and a manager who knows what it takes to be a winner and doesn't let players rule the dressing room and isn't afraid to make changes.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Marco the red said:

Don't think we will score enough goals. We need real pace or creativity on the wings and bar Semenyo we don't don't it

That's it for me too, our midfield don't create, score, or open teams up. The crossing is poor since Eliasson was sold.

Wells has scored goals at every club and level he's played at......but not at City, no service and often played out of position.

From what I know ( and that's very little!) our 3 new midfielders - James, King, & Williams - are holding midfielders not creative types.

We need a big improvement from last season and there's understandably been no major overhaul due to the financial situation and for all the Big Nige hype let's not forget he only managed 2 wins.

So glass half empty for me but I'll be delighted to be proved wrong.

Edited by CodeRed
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Shaun Taylor said:

Why so pessimistic you've got it all, stability, a fantastic stadium & training facilities, super wealthy owner who spends his money,  already a decent squad and no doubts not yet complete, big fanbase and a manager who knows what it takes to be a winner and doesn't let players rule the dressing room and isn't afraid to make changes.

If you would have watched our home games over the last 2 even 3 years, you would understand the pessimism.
The things you list, most don't affect the team, or at least haven't. The new training base will help of course, but no matter how good a squad we have, or have had, it has had no leadership or organisation from management or players for an age.

I said a year ago that we had, potentially , one of the best squads I've seen. Yet I enjoyed my rare trips to watch non League Braintree more than I ever did watching City, and last year was another Low. If Pearson couldn't get them going then who?

Since then the back room staff has changed, Captain Bullshit has gone and we have an experienced man finally putting his stamp on things and righting wrongs that have been in place for some time. The players will be fit (Danny Simpson saying the hardest Pre-season he's had speaks volumes), they will have more leadership (King & James will see to that) but it needs a big swing in mindset as well as on the pitch to get us challenging at the top end.

Personally, I've not got a clue how we will go, what I expect (or hope) is an organised, fit, higher tempo team. I should have underlined Team as it feels like we haven't had that for a while. Plenty of promise in the squad it's true, but it's a tough League and we are coming off the back of a season which, if it were 5 games longer, we would have been relegated. 
So I totally understand anyone who is concerned about the coming season, but being a football fan I also get the pre/early season optimism .

Edited by 1960maaan
  • Like 4

20 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

If you would have watched our home games over the last 2 even 3 years, you would understand the pessimism.
The things you list, most don't affect the team, or at least haven't. The new training base will help of course, but no matter how good a squad we have, or have had, it has had no leadership or organisation from management or players for an age.

I said a year ago that we had, potentially , one of the best squads I've seen. Yet I enjoyed my rare trips to watch non League Braintree than I ever did watching City, and last year was another Low. If Pearson could get them going then who?

Since then the back room staff has changed, Captain Bullshit has gone and we have an experienced man finally putting his stamp on things and righting wrongs that have been in place for some time. The players will be fit (Danny Simpson saying the hardest Pre-season he's had speaks volumes), they will have more leadership (King & James will see to that) but it needs a big swing in mindset as well as on the pitch to get us challenging at the top end.

Personally, I've not got a clue how we will go, what I expect (or hope) is an organised, fit, higher tempo team. I should have underlined Team as it feels like we haven't had that for a while. Plenty of promise in the squad it's true, but it's a tough League and we are coming off the back of a season which, if it were 5 games longer, we would have been relegated. 
So I totally understand anyone who is concerned about the coming season, but being a football fan I also get the pre/early season optimism .

I am anticipating 4-2-3-1 with the emphasis on trying not to lose (certainly pre Xmas), which is why I said I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't sign a another striker.

Bentley

Simpson     Kalas     Baker     DaSilva

James     King

Scott 

Weimann                               ODowda   

Martin

Perhaps ?

Edited by VT05763

20 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I said a year ago that we had, potentially , one of the best squads I've seen. Yet I enjoyed my rare trips to watch non League Braintree than I ever did watching City, and last year was another Low. If Pearson could get them going then who?

Don't forget for half the season you were amongst the play offs even if the football wasn't that great so you weren't that far away just unfortunate Pearson got there too late to change things.

I'm a believer all clubs have their moments so maybe this could be yours as it's been over 40 years since you were in the top flight and things tend to average out in time.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, VT05763 said:

I am anticipating 4-2-3-1 with the emphasis on trying not to lose (certainly pre Xmas), which is why I said I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't sign a another striker.

Bentley

Simpson     Kalas     Baker     DaSilva

James     King

Scott 

Weimann                               ODowda   

Martin

Perhaps ?

Massengo has to play.

1 hour ago, frenchred said:

Don't really know where the optimism comes from. Our squad is still top loaded with players not good enough. We have made a couple of geriatric free signings and one cb.

Amazing how absence makes the heart grow fonder!

Anything above relegation with this squad of players would be a result!

I personally don't think it's down to players not good enough it's been down to players not fit enough and conditioned to perform, That's been the problem for the last three years also game management. Ok and a far few crap signings but in the main it's fitness.

Edited by Street red
  • Thanks 1