IGNORED

Fans without tickets trying to get in to Wembley (apparently)

Unan

2 hours ago, phantom said:

For someone who wasn't there, am I correct in saying that the checks away from the turnstiles were for people to show tickets?

So the pictures of people breaking through here still had to go through a turnstile?

Assume the turnstiles were electronic so there was no control over people getting through?

I'm curious where the people offering money to stewards would have got in

The first set of stewards are stationed on the steps, they are checking covid tests/app etc then the second set of stewards at the top of the steps were activating tickets as tickets in the app didn’t work until activated. Then you had unmanned electronic gates/turnstiles with another row of security inside and metal scanners checking bags pockets etc

51 minutes ago, Clutton Caveman said:

I think that Wembley way is the problem. It is a funnel on the way in and way out. A terrorists dream.

Once you have large numbers of people hell bent on trouble, mixed in with legitimate ticket holders in that space the police have no chance.

Not sure what the answer is

Probably there needs to be at least 1 more approach and tickets must be shown to gain access. If this check point is further from the ground at least the police have some chance.

Another idea is only light beer on sale at and within 2 miles of the stadium. Sydney did this during the Olympics and it worked well.

The biggest shame is that as a nation some parts of society feel that you can't have a great time unless you are totally off your face.

The game should never of kicked off at 8pm to be honest - this was our first major final in 55 years after 18 months of being locked indoors with our rights being stripped from us.. allowing people to be on the piss all day was always going to be a recipe for disaster.. Simon Jordan hits the nail on the head for me!

2 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

That's 2030 buggered then

Rightly so.

Who in their right mind would want the majority of games played in England after this?

Feel sorry for the Irish & Scots because it isn’t their issue, but this shows it cannot be played here.

6 minutes ago, bris red said:

The game should never of kicked off at 8pm to be honest - this was our first major final in 55 years after 18 months of being locked indoors with our rights being stripped from us.. allowing people to be on the piss all day was always going to be a recipe for disaster.. Simon Jordan hits the nail on the head for me!

That's a poor excuse tbh.

28 minutes ago, bris red said:

Frankly, bollocks. It was at 20:00 because that suits the market (Europe). If people can't behave when given a bit of leeway, that's their lookout. 

As for "rights being stripped from us"...**** off. I was sick with COVID all through Xmas and the new year, don't ******* moan at me about "rights". What about the "rights" of people infected through others' actions? The "rights" of people to be healthy? Idiot.

27 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Rightly so.

Who in their right mind would want the majority of games played in England after this?

Feel sorry for the Irish & Scots because it isn’t their issue, but this shows it cannot be played here.

The scots were just as badly behaved

Sounds like some stewards made quite a lot of dosh, by pocketing some money to turn and look the other way?....................quite honestly there will be not be another game of this magnitude played at Wembley for a very very longtime, I see it as a one off occurrence?.  Desperate people resorting to desperate tactics  in order to get in to see the match at all costs?.   Wembley just needs to up their security levels and review     their mistakes to avoid a repetition?    Despite what the Daily Mail says.........it is NOT the end of civilisation?    ? ?                   

2 hours ago, MarcusX said:

The scots were just as badly behaved

I think the difference between some nonsense by a number of their fans in Trafalgar Sq & what clearly went on at the final is massive.

They also hosted a number of games that completely passed off without incident.

2 hours ago, SecretSam said:

Frankly, bollocks. It was at 20:00 because that suits the market (Europe). If people can't behave when given a bit of leeway, that's their lookout. 

As for "rights being stripped from us"...**** off. I was sick with COVID all through Xmas and the new year, don't ******* moan at me about "rights". What about the "rights" of people infected through others' actions? The "rights" of people to be healthy? Idiot.

Domestic Game times are rearranged all the time in this country and across Europe for the very reasons I pointed out.. granted  the 20:00 kick off was to appease Uefa and the ‘European market’ but the Met Police Uefa and the FA should have realised this was a high category game easily the biggest game in the history of modern English football and the chance of disorder was high. 

At the end of the day it was poor planning and extremely poor policing that let the few mindless chancers make the headlines when in reality they shouldn’t of even had a sniff of getting in without tickets.. let’s not tar the whole of the English national fanbase with the same brush.

3 hours ago, maxjak said:

Sounds like some stewards made quite a lot of dosh, by pocketing some money to turn and look the other way?....................quite honestly there will be not be another game of this magnitude played at Wembley for a very very longtime, I see it as a one off occurrence?.  Desperate people resorting to desperate tactics  in order to get in to see the match at all costs?.   Wembley just needs to up their security levels and review     their mistakes to avoid a repetition?    Despite what the Daily Mail says.........it is NOT the end of civilisation?    ? ?                   

Was that organised beforehand do you think? Those stewards need to be found…

4 hours ago, bris red said:

Like Simon Jordan speaks a lot of sense to me

The guy in this article "Pablo" is clearly an entitled ***. However, the following extract makes it pretty clear that it's not just the "fans" at fault, but corrupt stewards as well.

"Members on the chat claim they got in by bribing stewards for as little as £20. One member said he got in after paying a steward £120. In an audio message on the chat heard by the Guardian, the man explained how the steward had told him to “put the money in my pocket as I’m patting you down”. The man said: “It was probably more than he earned on that shift. Money talks.”

Pablo said: “A lot of stewards seemed more than willing to help. We offered one £200 to let five of us in. At about quarter to seven we were waiting for the steward’s mate to show up and that’s when we saw a disabled door open so we just ran through."

Full article in which "Pablo" breaks it all down https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/jul/13/england-fan-who-stormed-euros-final-defends-his-actions

52 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

The guy in this article "Pablo" is clearly an entitled ***. However, the following extract makes it pretty clear that it's not just the "fans" at fault, but corrupt stewards as well.

"Members on the chat claim they got in by bribing stewards for as little as £20. One member said he got in after paying a steward £120. In an audio message on the chat heard by the Guardian, the man explained how the steward had told him to “put the money in my pocket as I’m patting you down”. The man said: “It was probably more than he earned on that shift. Money talks.”

Pablo said: “A lot of stewards seemed more than willing to help. We offered one £200 to let five of us in. At about quarter to seven we were waiting for the steward’s mate to show up and that’s when we saw a disabled door open so we just ran through."

Full article in which "Pablo" breaks it all down https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/jul/13/england-fan-who-stormed-euros-final-defends-his-actions

Bent stewards always a risk, especially where the organisation was so poor that it was possible to do it in clear sight without risk of challenge. If there had been a buffer zone then the mass of ticketless revellers could not have stormed the flimsy barriers en mass.

The fact that the Met did not twig that this could turn into a mess by 2pm is beyond me, you really do have to question their intelligence. If a mass of ticketless revellers had been doing what they were doing on Sunday prior to a cup final, they'd have snuffed it out in seconds, they have no issues in controlling large numbers of "potential offenders" during demos and football matches during the year.

Basically everything could have been avoided by simple planning and proactive policing,

1 minute ago, Shaun Taylor said:

Explained in more detail 

TBH, thousands rush barriers, break in to concourse and bust their way in.....a bit like getting out of the Stratton bank after the match in reverse  al a City and Oxford in the 70s and 80s :) 

9 hours ago, SecretSam said:

Well said

11 hours ago, Shaun Taylor said:

Explained in more detail 

Interesting how they framed them as drunk yobs when it was apparently preplanned. The title makes it sound like they went on the rampage on the spur of the moment, obviously the bbc weren’t aware of it being orchestrated beforehand. I suppose I find it interesting how different groups are portrayed in the MSM especially after the demonstrations and protests over the last year. They didn’t set fire to any police vans. 

I think it might dent our hopes of 2030.

Maybe Covid checking wrecked it all but usually at Events such as this, there are or have been lines not only to check for tickets but to check that the tickets are real, that's before you even get in for searching so what happened here...?

Behind a paywall but if anyone reads/subscribes to it...dated 5pm so my guess is it'd be in tomorrow's if anything.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/wembley-under-siege-how-england-fans-stormed-the-euro-2020-final-wl6gv9rd5

Apologies if already covered but general estimates this week are in and around 5,000 fans who got in basically.

From what I saw online, Stewarding and Security- that's before we even get onto claims of bribes- looked less than experienced and robust let's say. Then there's the policing- in short, as I understand it, once on and around the Stadium Footprint it costs- unsure if it's per officer or how it's split but it costs- beyond that is policing and public order but a lot clearly went wrong Sunday.

On 14/07/2021 at 12:55, bris red said:

I suppose there is an argument for exceptional circumstances ie 15-18 months however many it is Covid restrictions wise but otoh in modern times anyway in my recollection, guess what- tournament finals kick off at 8pm!

I am sure it doesn't go without a hitch elsewhere but it definitely doesn't get fed back like this- it's clear the 8pm time is aimed at TV audiences, not least as in much of Europe- well Spain and Italy, Portugal and France especially, evening kickoffs on Satuday and Sunday are common place- if we can't cope with it, it's kinda on us to an extent.

I digress, TV audiences in modern times is who it is aimed at here...but surprisingly not just here as per Kieran Maguire the other day!

Plus, Kieran again.

50 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I think it might dent our hopes of 2030.

Maybe Covid checking wrecked it all but usually at Events such as this, there are or have been lines not only to check for tickets but to check that the tickets are real, that's before you even get in for searching so what happened here...?

Behind a paywall but if anyone reads/subscribes to it...dated 5pm so my guess is it'd be in tomorrow's if anything.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/wembley-under-siege-how-england-fans-stormed-the-euro-2020-final-wl6gv9rd5

Apologies if already covered but general estimates this week are in and around 5,000 fans who got in basically.

From what I saw online, Stewarding and Security- that's before we even get onto claims of bribes- looked less than experienced and robust let's say. Then there's the policing- in short, as I understand it, once on and around the Stadium Footprint it costs- unsure if it's per officer or how it's split but it costs- beyond that is policing and public order but a lot clearly went wrong Sunday.

5000 I reckon you could double that mate 

Blaming lockdown and stewards etc. is just passing the buck for me.

People need to take responsibility for their own actions.

There's always opportunity to do wrong or people who would facilitate it given half a chance and a bit of £

Personal responsibility.

1 hour ago, IAmNick said:

There's always opportunity to do wrong or people who would facilitate it given half a chance and a bit of £

Personal responsibility.

Spot on

12 hours ago, IAmNick said:

Personal responsibility.

You can say its passing the buck all you like but the reality is the Policing and stewarding on the day was clearly substandard.
Forgetting major international  football finals for a second if you under police ANY large event and give people the opportunity to gain entry without a ticket they will. It’s a problem that isn’t unique to English football,  you only have to look at Glastonbury festival and festivals all over the world in fact to see that if you don’t have a robust system in place the chancers will find a way in.

In an ideal fantasy world yes people should take personal responsibility but we don’t live in an ideal world, the police and the FA failed on sunday and let a very small minority take the headlines.

12 minutes ago, bris red said:

You can say its passing the buck all you like but the reality is the Policing and stewarding on the day was clearly substandard.
Forgetting major international  football finals for a second if you under police ANY large event and give people the opportunity to gain entry without a ticket they will. It’s a problem that isn’t unique to English football,  you only have to look at Glastonbury festival and festivals all over the world in fact to see that if you don’t have a robust system in place the chancers will find a way in.

In an ideal fantasy world yes people should take personal responsibility but we don’t live in an ideal world, the police and the FA failed on sunday and let a very small minority take the headlines.

Yes, that's the whole point of security! I was really surprised it was so lax, especially when there has been a recent inquiry into the Manchester Arena bombing and all those failings. 

Glastonbury used to be chaos before they built that fence.

Archived