IGNORED

World Cup finals Qatar 2022

Redtrojan

Let me say I have loved the rollercoaster ride of the last few weeks,what joy in the country,thank you England.

So after the massive disappointment of last night ,what do we need to change to go one better next year??

I’m aware some of you think nothing and everything is rosey ,I respect that opinion and you may be right ,this failure may motivate the players and the manager may grow a pair and become more positive.

However football is full of opinions and I think there are a few areas we need to improve on or we risk wasting probably the best squad of players England has ever had.

The manager’s going nowhere,he needs to be far more positive.We played last night like a relegation threatened team that had nicked an early lead and were desperately hanging on for the 3 points and we are experts at watching that at City!did their keeper make a save all night?

For me Grealish needs to start ,we need a bit more pace in the centre backs ,so a n other to partner Maguire and Phillips offers too little with ball at feet the constant backwards or sideways passing makes me think Joe Burrell must in the coaching squad somewhere.

Anyway that’s my thoughts,I’m sure you’ll have plenty of different ones.

I think we need to find a way to attack with a bit more freedom, without compromising being solid in the middle. Playing with Rice and Philips keeps us strong but means we don’t have enough creativity in the middle of the pitch. 
Agree that I would like to see an alternative to the CB pairing. I have hopes for Ben White and hope he gets a move to a bigger club so he gets a bit more exposure. 
Are we far off? Probably not but there are tweaks we can make. 
I hope the young players get over this quickly and take it as a massive learning point. Reminds me of when GJ made the City squad watch Southend lift the league trophy, lots have said how that inspired them the next time season for that to be them

4 minutes ago, The Batman said:

Boycott it. 

Thus ends my involvement in this thread as I won't bring anything else useful to it. But that's just me. 

I don't imagine it is just you.The decision to host it in Qatar is completely scandalous. 

36 minutes ago, Redtrojan said:

Let me say I have loved the rollercoaster ride of the last few weeks,what joy in the country,thank you England.

So after the massive disappointment of last night ,what do we need to change to go one better next year??

I’m aware some of you think nothing and everything is rosey ,I respect that opinion and you may be right ,this failure may motivate the players and the manager may grow a pair and become more positive.

However football is full of opinions and I think there are a few areas we need to improve on or we risk wasting probably the best squad of players England has ever had.

The manager’s going nowhere,he needs to be far more positive.We played last night like a relegation threatened team that had nicked an early lead and were desperately hanging on for the 3 points and we are experts at watching that at City!did their keeper make a save all night?

For me Grealish needs to start ,we need a bit more pace in the centre backs ,so a n other to partner Maguire and Phillips offers too little with ball at feet the constant backwards or sideways passing makes me think Joe Burrell must in the coaching squad somewhere.

Anyway that’s my thoughts,I’m sure you’ll have plenty of different ones.

Gary Lineker tweeted - "I think going forward have to find a way of being more attack minded. Braver in possession and throwing more people forward. We have the forward talent to scare teams, at present we seem scared ourselves to release that talent".

I agree. Use the power, strength and creativity we have. 

Morally it should never have been chosen, 6,500 are thought to have died since FIFA accepted the bribe, sorry , chose Qatar. This is the figure of migration workers and is not the total figure, it's thought to be much higher but some stats are not available. If FIFA had any moral compass what so ever they would have pulled out, but ££$$££$$ that ain't gonna happen. 

One thing, there will be less chair throwing drunks around out there, so that's a plus. Flights at the moment are reasonable, but obviously hotel and flight prices are likely to rise as more companies want their nose in the trough.

As a team , there are a few that will be around 30 by the time it comes around , that may need addressing. McGuire, Trippier , Mings, Walker will probably need to be replaced, that may be difficult. The rest will depend on form etc, but the bones of a side are there ,and the likes of Bellingham, Saka and Sancho I expect to be fully fledged stars by then. A lot depends on the defence, Stones could still be there , but the centre of that side is key (Webster ? ) and no doubt someone will force their way into contention. 

Realistically , Quarter/Semi final would be good. But as someone once said, or maybe not, 18 months is a long time in football.

I hope to be there, but as they say, it's the hope that kills you.

Compare the team who started the World Cup semi final to the one that started yesterday and it's obvious how much stronger the team is now but also how much things can change in just a couple of years. 

So who knows what the team will look like in 18 months but I hope Sancho and Bellingham have become nailed on starters. 

Then, like others have said, let's be brave and take the handbrake off.  

44 minutes ago, NewquayRed said:

This team just needs time, approx 18 month 

How much ******* time do we need? Is 50 odd years not enough?

With all the talent, money and infrastructure we have, we should be winning.

Also, Im not sure i can invest such emotion in another glorious failure - been doing that most of my life watching England and it doesnt get any easier. Its painful

1 minute ago, TonyTonyTony said:

How much ******* time do we need? Is 50 odd years not enough?

With all the talent, money and infrastructure we have, we should be winning.

Also, Im not sure i can invest such emotion in another glorious failure - been doing that most of my life watching England and it doesnt get any easier. Its painful

Yep, I'm with you.

People talk about progression; but knowing us, that will mean losing the final on 2 penalties, rather than 3, in Qatar.

There are plenty of other sides who will improve in the next 18 months, as well

1 hour ago, The Batman said:

Boycott it. 

Thus ends my involvement in this thread as I won't bring anything else useful to it. But that's just me. 

Agreed, but…. Where do you want to go with this, Quater and the neighbouring countries are running European football as it stands. The champions league a prime example, most clubs in the last 8 are sponsored by those countries, or the airlines. Even ITV’s euro coverage was sponsored by Quater. 
So, unless we go the whole hog and tell them to shove ALL their money, I don’t see the point of a boycott.

As for England’s chances, until we get some real creativity into the side, I don’t see us getting past the last 8, the South American sides will be there, and I’m sure the African sides will thrive in the heat. I think some have got a bit carried away with this competition, remember we played 90% of our games in our home stadium with 90% home support. 

This was our chance. At home in rainy London. 

Anyone thinking we have a better chance next time, when our youngsters have developed a bit more, is forgetting the conditions. 

England have always struggled to play abroad in blistering heat. Even in the winter Qatar will be hard to adapt to for our players. Those from hotter climtes will have some advantage. 

Looking at the schedule the first match is on 21st Nov and the final on the 18th Dec.  Presumably the countries will want their players available for warm up games from the beginning of Nov, which means the Prem will be suspended for at least 2 months.  Anybody know if the intention is to suspend the championship as well?

With Southgate, I don’t fancy our chances. We’re set up too defensive and seem to be more concerned with the opposition rather than ourselves. Second half proved that against Italy who were there for the taking. 

I understand there are questions over our defence, but we have to find a system which engages positive attacking football. The likes of Grealish should have had more starts. Need to bin two defensive midfielders in my eyes

6 hours ago, Redtrojan said:

Agree - last night was bitterly disappointing but overall it was a massive success. Great tournament experience for those lads & I think we'll be stronger for it. 

Archived