IGNORED

World Cup finals Qatar 2022

Redtrojan

4 hours ago, North London Red said:

I’ve seen England play in Doha in November, back in 2009 (friendly v Brazil). The heat wasn’t as bad at that time of year as some are making out. It was quite a bit hotter in Volgograd, Nizhny Novgorod and Samara in the World Cup three years ago, and we didn’t do too badly there. 

Was at the same game, struggled to get a beer, not many eating places and public transport was not existence. Hotel was double booked so they put us in a flee pit just down the road. 

8 hours ago, The Batman said:

Boycott it. 

Thus ends my involvement in this thread as I won't bring anything else useful to it. But that's just me. 

8 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

I have a feeling this is going to be a bit of a joke tournament anyway.

8 hours ago, Slacker said:

I don't imagine it is just you.The decision to host it in Qatar is completely scandalous. 

Agree, I really don't want us to win Qatar. It's tainted already.

2 hours ago, Malago said:

Looking at the schedule the first match is on 21st Nov and the final on the 18th Dec.  Presumably the countries will want their players available for warm up games from the beginning of Nov, which means the Prem will be suspended for at least 2 months.  Anybody know if the intention is to suspend the championship as well?

I believe the plans are for championship to be suspended during the tournament but not leagues 1 or 2. The prem will stop on November 12th through to December 26th. The championship may not be suspended for the same period of time though.

Well, we all know how much the politics stink on this one. 

All will be brushed aside come the time I'm sure. Lineker's nauseating grin will be on top form, and Clive Tyldesley will be full of his usual nonsensical drivel. 

I'm sure we can do the English thing though and quietly remove ourselves before the whole debacle reaches fever pitch. 

On 12/07/2021 at 10:30, Dredd said:

I think we need to find a way to attack with a bit more freedom, without compromising being solid in the middle. Playing with Rice and Philips keeps us strong but means we don’t have enough creativity in the middle of the pitch. 
Agree that I would like to see an alternative to the CB pairing. I have hopes for Ben White and hope he gets a move to a bigger club so he gets a bit more exposure. 
Are we far off? Probably not but there are tweaks we can make. 
I hope the young players get over this quickly and take it as a massive learning point. Reminds me of when GJ made the City squad watch Southend lift the league trophy, lots have said how that inspired them the next time season for that to be them

We concede 2 goals in a tournament and you want an alternative centre back pairing?

1 minute ago, Clutton Caveman said:

We concede 2 goals in a tournament and you want an alternative centre back pairing?

There is an argument to say that if we had a better CB than Stones (who has found form in the tournament and most of last season after a difficult time before) then we might not need two sitting in front and we could use the likes of Foden and Sancho more. Perhaps then we wouldn't come across as so negative in the 2nd half? Against the smaller teams like Scotland etc I really don't think we need to be so negative. However I won't argue against Southgate's record overall and like I said before, one width of the post and we probably win the euros so just a bit of tinkering needed I think.

I can only echo what other have already said in that we need to play with more attacking flair and creativity. 

If it means that we have to change the defence so that we no longer need 2 CDMs then so be it.

We have to be looking to get Saka, Grealish, Foden, Sancho more game time for me. How you fit all these attack minded players into a formation - that's the real puzzle. 

I think we also have to have a HUGE slice of luck. We'll need the draw to go our way (like it did in Euro 2020), and hope for a good route to the latter stages with favourable opponents in the knock out games.

And finally, we just can't let the game go to penalties anymore. I'd rather we lost by having all 10 outfielders pushed up the pitch in the last minute trying to win the game, than suffer penalty heartbreak again.

19 hours ago, havanatopia said:

Run through shower tunnels and drinks breaks every 15 minutes!! Even with an aircon stadium i think it might be a bit hot.

The average temperature while the tournament is being held will be around 28 degrees pretty warm I will grant you but games even in this country at the start of the season are often played in higher temperatures.

7 minutes ago, pillred said:

The average temperature while the tournament is being held will be around 28 degrees pretty warm I will grant you but games even in this country at the start of the season are often played in higher temperatures.

By time we get to the latter stages the highest it will be is 25 (but hopefully more like 20) so assuming we get to that then hopefully won't have a huge effect. Group games will be tough especially if playing sides who are more used to 25+ degrees.

Just now, Alex_BCFC said:

By time we get to the latter stages the highest it will be is 25 (but hopefully more like 20) so assuming we get to that then hopefully won't have a huge effect. Group games will be tough especially if playing sides who are more used to 25+ degrees.

I wonder if you can get the domes you see some clubs using but be able to regulate the temperature inside them, try to replicate the conditions on international camps before flying out

On 12/07/2021 at 11:07, RedorDead BCFC said:

Factor 50 and a shed load of it 

Actually, in Nov/Dec it's perfectly pleasant - like southern Europe in summer, so think early to mid 30s C. Dry heat.

And I've experienced rain there at that time!

Source: been there, at that time.

26 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

The same's true in any hot climate - we had issues in Brazil, for example, or I remember Mexico being a real concern.

Qatar in winter? Probably not that bad.

2 hours ago, Alex_BCFC said:

There is an argument to say that if we had a better CB than Stones (who has found form in the tournament and most of last season after a difficult time before) then we might not need two sitting in front and we could use the likes of Foden and Sancho more. Perhaps then we wouldn't come across as so negative in the 2nd half? Against the smaller teams like Scotland etc I really don't think we need to be so negative. However I won't argue against Southgate's record overall and like I said before, one width of the post and we probably win the euros so just a bit of tinkering needed I think.

Exactly this

3 hours ago, OddBallJim said:

I can only echo what other have already said in that we need to play with more attacking flair and creativity. 

If it means that we have to change the defence so that we no longer need 2 CDMs then so be it.

We have to be looking to get Saka, Grealish, Foden, Sancho more game time for me. How you fit all these attack minded players into a formation - that's the real puzzle. 

I think we also have to have a HUGE slice of luck. We'll need the draw to go our way (like it did in Euro 2020), and hope for a good route to the latter stages with favourable opponents in the knock out games.

And finally, we just can't let the game go to penalties anymore. I'd rather we lost by having all 10 outfielders pushed up the pitch in the last minute trying to win the game, than suffer penalty heartbreak again.

re the first half of your post, do you accept it when if we then lose say 3-2 to Germany in an open game?

I do like your final para / sentence though.

On 12/07/2021 at 10:21, Redtrojan said:

Let me say I have loved the rollercoaster ride of the last few weeks,what joy in the country,thank you England.

So after the massive disappointment of last night ,what do we need to change to go one better next year??

I’m aware some of you think nothing and everything is rosey ,I respect that opinion and you may be right ,this failure may motivate the players and the manager may grow a pair and become more positive.

However football is full of opinions and I think there are a few areas we need to improve on or we risk wasting probably the best squad of players England has ever had.

The manager’s going nowhere,he needs to be far more positive.We played last night like a relegation threatened team that had nicked an early lead and were desperately hanging on for the 3 points and we are experts at watching that at City!did their keeper make a save all night?

For me Grealish needs to start ,we need a bit more pace in the centre backs ,so a n other to partner Maguire and Phillips offers too little with ball at feet the constant backwards or sideways passing makes me think Joe Burrell must in the coaching squad somewhere.

Anyway that’s my thoughts,I’m sure you’ll have plenty of different ones.

Lee johnson mk 2 afraid too lose totally agree with all this 

On 12/07/2021 at 11:06, frenchred said:

What do we need to change? The manager!

Get someone in who will play to our strengths, not someone who is petrified of the opposition, frightened to make subs and who instills a pass back whenever you can attitude

Yeah - we need someone who can get us to a final..

3 hours ago, Sturny said:

It's coming home

Shame that hundreds of migrant slave workers who died building stadiums for the tournament won't. 

No doubt all the players participating will have some gesture lined up to show their displeasure at the use of slaves for them to work in air-con stadiums. 

6 hours ago, SecretSam said:

Actually, in Nov/Dec it's perfectly pleasant - like southern Europe in summer, so think early to mid 30s C. Dry heat.

And I've experienced rain there at that time!

Source: been there, at that time.

Trust me, above 20 degrees I need factor 50. I’m dark haired as well! But as soon as that yellow bastard appears I’m burnt 

5 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Take a second striker you trust and will actually use, thus for not making Kane play pretty much every second of every game and him then being able to move more than 10 yard at a time when the final comes along!

Up steps Mason Greenwood

On 13/07/2021 at 14:22, Davefevs said:

re the first half of your post, do you accept it when if we then lose say 3-2 to Germany in an open game?

I do like your final para / sentence though.

If we lost to Germany in the final 3-2, but played an attacking & open game, then I wouldn't feel as heartbroken as I did going out on pens again. 

Archived