IGNORED

Size of goal posts.

City oz

Well we are all most probably dissapointed with last nights result. It is always sad for the team that goes down on penalties. At the end of the day one team must win and penalties at the end of a match are not a true reflection on how a team played in the first 90 minutes and in extra time.

Goal dimensions are 2.4 meters high the average keeper is about 2.1 meters high at best. the width is 7. 3 maters. 

I remember in my school days and taking penalties and if you made a point of aiming at a corner of the net and hit  the ball fairly hard and picking a corner 9 out of ten times  you would score from the penalty spot.

Last night we had Rushford, Samchd and Sako missing in what they would have always practised year in and year out through out there professional careers and school boy football. All three would be on massive salaries and being paid at that level and representing your country there is no excuse but to not score from the penalty spot.

Those three and sorry to say should not wear an England shirt again.  All three pussy footed before they kicked  the ball and tried to look a smart arse in front of the goalie.

What happened to good old fashioned football  we used to play and when the opportunity came around for a penalty awarded we argued who was going to take it as it was going to be a certain goal. We hit the ball hard and picked are spot and danced around like a fairy.

I bet there are a lot of old farts on here like me would love to have the opportunity to kick the ball off of the penalty spot with goal posts 7.3 meters wide and 2.4 meters high and bet our pensions on scoring.

4 minutes ago, City oz said:

Those three and sorry to say should not wear an England shirt again. 

Harsh beyond words!

They were three poor penalties, but sometimes that's the way it is under that amount of scrutiny and pressure.

I'm not sure penalties used to be any more of a certain goal in the 'good old days' - are there any stats on this sort of thing out there?

8 minutes ago, City oz said:

Last night we had Rushford, Samchd and Sako missing in what they would have always practised year in and year out through out there professional careers and school boy football. All three would be on massive salaries and being paid at that level and representing your country there is no excuse but to not score from the penalty spot.

Those three and sorry to say should not wear an England shirt again.  All three pussy footed before they kicked  the ball and tried to look a smart arse in front of the goalie.

Incredibly bad take. When you're 2 of the best teams in the world, the amount of money you earn has no relevance whatsoever.

And why would you actively make your team worse by excluding 3 top players based on the lottery of penalties?

Baggio, Van Basten, Shevchenko, Platini... all world class players who have missed penalties. Imagine excluding them from your squad forever!

8 minutes ago, City oz said:

I bet there are a lot of old farts on here like me would love to have the opportunity to kick the ball off of the penalty spot with goal posts 7.3 meters wide and 2.4 meters high and bet our pensions on scoring.

Clearly Southgate should have picked you!!!

you can not tell me and I would expect everyone on this forum would agree that the three that missed scoring took well penalties. they should be sacked. OK world class players do miss now and again but christ my grand kids could of hit the ball better of the penalty spot last night.

What is with side step and dance to get the goalie to dive or what ever what. it was a joke to watch

9 minutes ago, City oz said:

you can not tell me and I would expect everyone on this forum would agree that the three that missed scoring took well penalties. they should be sacked. OK world class players do miss now and again but christ my grand kids could of hit the ball better of the penalty spot last night.

What is with side step and dance to get the goalie to dive or what ever what. it was a joke to watch

They really couldn't and I bet 99% of this forum couldn't time and time again either, even if they'd love to pretend otherwise. Admittedly I am judging your age a bit (going from the 'old fart' comment!), but like it or not, keepers these days are far better. There are a lot more stats and numbers involved and though I don't have numbers to back it up, it really wouldn't surprise me if more penalties were scored back in the day just from his alone.

But taking Rashford's penalty alone, you can see exactly what he was trying to do. Donnarumma is a giant of a keeper. Unless you nail the perfect penalty, if Donnarumma guesses the right way there is a huge chance that he saves it. In many cases he did, and it was only Kane and Maguire who managed to score, because placed their penalties brilliantly. That's why Rashford waited, trying to make Donnarumma shift one way or the other first, but this time it didn't pay off.

The margins are tiny. If Rashford hits it a few inches more to the right, it goes in off the post. Saying somebody should be sacked based on a margin like that is beyond ridiculous.

My goodness, quite simply knockout business end football isn't for you. 

15 minutes ago, City oz said:

And as for this nonsense, does this apply to every player that's ever missed a pen ever? What about the two Italians last night, should they leave the national team in disgrace too?  

Just harsh to the absolute extreme. Its like you think they did it on purpose. 

Image result for pictures of football goal dimensions

Well they did not do it on purpose. I think you miss my point. the bloody thing is 8 yards bloody wide and 8 feet high. if you are on so many million a year to play football then how bloody hard is it to score a bloody penalty.  We re not talking about one player but three of them. 

9 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

They really couldn't and I bet 99% of this forum couldn't time and time again either, even if they'd love to pretend otherwise. Admittedly I am judging your age a bit (going from the 'old fart' comment!), but like it or not, keepers these days are far better. There are a lot more stats and numbers involved and though I don't have numbers to back it up, it really wouldn't surprise me if more penalties were scored back in the day just from his alone.

But taking Rashford's penalty alone, you can see exactly what he was trying to do. Donnarumma is a giant of a keeper. Unless you nail the perfect penalty, if Donnarumma guesses the right way there is a huge chance that he saves it. In many cases he did, and it was only Kane and Maguire who managed to score, because placed their penalties brilliantly. That's why Rashford waited, trying to make Donnarumma shift one way or the other first, but this time it didn't pay off.

The margins are tiny. If Rashford hits it a few inches more to the right, it goes in off the post. Saying somebody should be sacked based on a margin like that is beyond ridiculous.

keepers are better these days and so should be the players taking the penalty kicks in front of them

@City oz you mention that you remember when you took them at school, you'd score 9 times out of 10. Can you remember what your record was like taking them in a Cup final, with hundreds of millions of people watching, against a world class goalkeeper? Based on your theory, nobody should miss a penalty but if they had to, we would cycle through the players until the lowest earner misses? 

3 minutes ago, City oz said:

Well they did not do it on purpose. I think you miss my point. the bloody thing is 8 yards bloody wide and 8 feet high. if you are on so many million a year to play football then how bloody hard is it to score a bloody penalty.  We re not talking about one player but three of them. 

You're forgetting there's an incredible 6ft 6 keeper in the middle of it!

And salary is completely irrelevant.

4 minutes ago, Coppello said:

@City oz you mention that you remember when you took them at school, you'd score 9 times out of 10. Can you remember what your record was like taking them in a Cup final, with hundreds of millions of people watching, against a world class goalkeeper? Based on your theory, nobody should miss a penalty but if they had to, we would cycle through the players until the lowest earner misses? 

I think I had 50P pocket money then. the three that took the penalties last night are on more than 500K most probably a month. My gripe is that two of the three danced a bloody fox trot before they even hit the ball. Why cant a player taking a penalty hit the ball hard with some vision and purpose. You can not tell me two of those three did last night

2 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

@City oz would score 100/100! If he earned 100k a week of course.

Nah mate. But at least I would have kicked the ball has hard as I could with a cold Victoria Bitter in one hand and a sausage off the BBQ in the other hand. And not  did a bloody side step, country dance and waltz on the bloody run up and pointed to the goalie where I would aim the ball for.

15 minutes ago, City oz said:

The dimensions of football (pitches, goals etc) were set about 150 years ago. Since then the size of humans in the rich parts of the world has grown considerably.

So the point is not as daft as it seems. In my young days, it was much rarer for males to be over 6 feet (1.83 metres). Among the under thirty year olds now a considerable number are now well over this. The same applies to females. Rare then to se a young woman over 5ft - 6 ins (1.68 m), Similar increases for the girls as the lads.

47 minutes ago, City oz said:

Well we are all most probably dissapointed with last nights result. It is always sad for the team that goes down on penalties. At the end of the day one team must win and penalties at the end of a match are not a true reflection on how a team played in the first 90 minutes and in extra time.

Goal dimensions are 2.4 meters high the average keeper is about 2.1 meters high at best. the width is 7. 3 maters. 

I remember in my school days and taking penalties and if you made a point of aiming at a corner of the net and hit  the ball fairly hard and picking a corner 9 out of ten times  you would score from the penalty spot.

What happened to good old fashioned football  we used to play and when the opportunity came around for a penalty awarded we argued who was going to take it as it was going to be a certain goal. We hit the ball hard and picked are spot and danced around like a fairy.

I'd  come off the Fosters if I were you?.......I think it is most definitely addling your brain cells?  As that is the only possible excuse I can find for someone to post such an absurd comment?  ? 

1 minute ago, maxjak said:

I'd  come off the Fosters if I were you?.......I think it is most definitely addling your brain cells?  As that is the only possible excuse I can find for someone to post such an absurd comment?  ? 

Not had Fosters in OZ for years now. maybe thats what Rushford, Sako and Sanchd had instead of oranges at half time ?

55 minutes ago, City oz said:

Oh how I wish for the return of the ? reaction emoji.

6 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

The dimensions of football (pitches, goals etc) were set about 150 years ago. Since then the size of humans in the rich parts of the world has grown considerably.

So the point is not as daft as it seems. In my young days, it was much rarer for males to be over 6 feet (1.83 metres). Among the under thirty year olds now a considerable number are now well over this. The same applies to females. Rare then to se a young woman over 5ft - 6 ins (1.68 m), Similar increases for the girls as the lads.

Good point. Have to remember that one for the future. 

1 minute ago, grifty said:

Have you been hit on the head or something? This is like the ramblings of Swedish Tommy!

Just dissapointed in why three players could not kick a ball when it mattered.

Surely your logic is flawed.

The same would apply to the Italian team.... same type of wages, same professional expectation.

Sports is about stepping up into a moment and using that experience to try and define the outcome.

For outfield players - that is to score.
For goalkeepers - that is to save.

Feel free to head back to Football manager to never play this trio of brilliant young footballers, who achieve more with a ball at their feet than the likes of you, or I could ever do so.

Show any player who played last night some respect, for even being in a position to play in that game, and be asked to take a spot-kick. 

1 minute ago, Sandhurst Red said:

Surely your logic is flawed.

The same would apply to the Italian team.... same type of wages, same professional expectation.

Sports is about stepping up into a moment and using that experience to try and define the outcome.

For outfield players - that is to score.
For goalkeepers - that is to save.

Feel free to head back to Football manager to never play this trio of brilliant young footballers, who achieve more with a ball at their feet than the likes of you, or I could ever do so.

Show any player who played last night some respect, for even being in a position to play in that game, and be asked to take a spot-kick. 

But why did two of the three try and pretend to bluff a world class Italian keeper by trying some fancy foot step crap before kicking the ball. 

As players they played very well but when they were in the spot light they totally f^%$ed it.

Archived