IGNORED

Size of goal posts.

City oz

Your focus on the run ups is just plain wrong. There are so few variables that the penalty taker has to work with, so they have to do something different to reduce the chances of the keeper figuring out which way they are going to go and try and get them to make the first move. 

We lost. Move on mate. 

World cup winner Geoff Hurst v Gordon Banks 1972 League Cup semi final, penalty in the last few minutes, long run up absolutely hammered it, Banks pushed it over the bar, is that ok to miss in your opinion as he didn't fanny about before taking it? End result is the same, he missed and ultimately Stoke went thought to the final and won it. 

oh by the way Bobby Moore saved one as well in the previous game when he had to replace the injured keeper, although the taker slotted in the rebound, you would want Mick Bernard shot for missing!!

12 minutes ago, City oz said:

But why did two of the three try and pretend to bluff a world class Italian keeper by trying some fancy foot step crap before kicking the ball. 

As players they played very well but when they were in the spot light they totally f^%$ed it.

Because his reach/size was huge. If he guessed right, Donnaruma was always going to have a chance to save it.

If the technique has worked for those players, before - why abolish now?

This article - nicely breaks down the science that supports the players methods - https://www.ft.com/penalties 

16 minutes ago, City oz said:

But why did two of the three try and pretend to bluff a world class Italian keeper by trying some fancy foot step crap before kicking the ball. 

As players they played very well but when they were in the spot light they totally f^%$ed it.

Because that same world class Italian keeper is also brilliant when you just punt it into one corner as you suggested.

Or maybe you'd have been happier if all of our players had Chris Waddle'd them into oblivion. 

if there is 'blame' then it lies with Southgate, something he has accepted. And I am surprised at him dropping the ball on this one, I dont care how often Saka banged them in in training, you cannot train for the final of the euros and taking the 5th Pen, an experienced player should be stepping up here, or told to step up. Its painful that we had a club recognized penalty taker in Jack Grealish on the pitch but he did not take one, painful. Not saying he would have scored but he is used to shouldering responsibility. That was not fair on Saka, not fair at all and I feel for him.

Rashford is a recognized penalty taker and did everything right just pulled it, but Sancho and Saka, they were not there, not mentally and produced poor penalties with no disguise or power.. its one or the other.  I feel so terribly for them all, gutted for Pickford too as to save from Jorghino in that situation was cup worthy itself.

Regards to the OP, saying these players should never play for england again? you are a disgrace.

1 hour ago, City oz said:

Well we are all most probably dissapointed with last nights result. It is always sad for the team that goes down on penalties. At the end of the day one team must win and penalties at the end of a match are not a true reflection on how a team played in the first 90 minutes and in extra time.

Goal dimensions are 2.4 meters high the average keeper is about 2.1 meters high at best. the width is 7. 3 maters. 

I remember in my school days and taking penalties and if you made a point of aiming at a corner of the net and hit  the ball fairly hard and picking a corner 9 out of ten times  you would score from the penalty spot.

Last night we had Rushford, Samchd and Sako missing in what they would have always practised year in and year out through out there professional careers and school boy football. All three would be on massive salaries and being paid at that level and representing your country there is no excuse but to not score from the penalty spot.

Those three and sorry to say should not wear an England shirt again.  All three pussy footed before they kicked  the ball and tried to look a smart arse in front of the goalie.

What happened to good old fashioned football  we used to play and when the opportunity came around for a penalty awarded we argued who was going to take it as it was going to be a certain goal. We hit the ball hard and picked are spot and danced around like a fairy.

I bet there are a lot of old farts on here like me would love to have the opportunity to kick the ball off of the penalty spot with goal posts 7.3 meters wide and 2.4 meters high and bet our pensions on scoring.

The answer to your topic question is that the posts must not exceed 5 inches. The rest of this topic is irrelevant.

36 minutes ago, City oz said:

Just dissapointed in why three players could not kick a ball when it mattered.

There's a very fair point to be made about players who do stuttered run ups or fancy penalties. It's fine in the premier league when you're 2-0 up, but when it's the Euro final, I agree you need to take it back to basic, make sure you get a good contact into a corner. If the keeper makes a worldie, then fair enough.

The way you have put this point across by (intentionally?) mis-spelling all 3 players names, demanding they never play for England again, should be sacked and that because they get paid £X a month they should be able to score whatever the situation is ridiculous.

46 minutes ago, TedsHeadIs Red said:

Is there a breakdown to show the different success rates between “run up and blast it” and “I’m going to do an effeminate dance before I tap it” styles of penalty taking?

There is evidence out there which says those that take pens independent of the keeper have more success than those that are dependent on the keeper. 

I was surprised rashford took his keeper dependent as he's taken some high stakes pens (psg) and smashed them in. 

1 hour ago, City oz said:

Just dissapointed in why three players could not kick a ball when it mattered.

We all are but it is what it is. I don't like penalty shootouts and personally prefer the golden goal alternative. But hey ho the rules is dem rules.

3 hours ago, City oz said:

Well we are all most probably dissapointed with last nights result. It is always sad for the team that goes down on penalties. At the end of the day one team must win and penalties at the end of a match are not a true reflection on how a team played in the first 90 minutes and in extra time.

Goal dimensions are 2.4 meters high the average keeper is about 2.1 meters high at best. the width is 7. 3 maters. 

I remember in my school days and taking penalties and if you made a point of aiming at a corner of the net and hit  the ball fairly hard and picking a corner 9 out of ten times  you would score from the penalty spot.

Last night we had Rushford, Samchd and Sako missing in what they would have always practised year in and year out through out there professional careers and school boy football. All three would be on massive salaries and being paid at that level and representing your country there is no excuse but to not score from the penalty spot.

Those three and sorry to say should not wear an England shirt again.  All three pussy footed before they kicked  the ball and tried to look a smart arse in front of the goalie.

What happened to good old fashioned football  we used to play and when the opportunity came around for a penalty awarded we argued who was going to take it as it was going to be a certain goal. We hit the ball hard and picked are spot and danced around like a fairy.

I bet there are a lot of old farts on here like me would love to have the opportunity to kick the ball off of the penalty spot with goal posts 7.3 meters wide and 2.4 meters high and bet our pensions on scoring.

Sorry but everything about this is complete bullshit. I think you should pipe down and go surfing or something. 

4 hours ago, City oz said:

I bet you’ve never taken a penalty in front of 6 people let alone at Wembley in a final. Shouldn’t play for England again???????

2 hours ago, Fjmcity said:

if there is 'blame' then it lies with Southgate, something he has accepted. And I am surprised at him dropping the ball on this one, I dont care how often Saka banged them in in training, you cannot train for the final of the euros and taking the 5th Pen, an experienced player should be stepping up here, or told to step up. Its painful that we had a club recognized penalty taker in Jack Grealish on the pitch but he did not take one, painful. Not saying he would have scored but he is used to shouldering responsibility. That was not fair on Saka, not fair at all and I feel for him.

Rashford is a recognized penalty taker and did everything right just pulled it, but Sancho and Saka, they were not there, not mentally and produced poor penalties with no disguise or power.. its one or the other.  I feel so terribly for them all, gutted for Pickford too as to save from Jorghino in that situation was cup worthy itself.

Regards to the OP, saying these players should never play for england again? you are a disgrace.

Absolutely. Really feel for Saka, shouldn't have been put in that situation even if he'd volunteered to take it.

I never missed a penalty either at school or in the university and amateur teams I played for afterwards.

I rarely scored through open play, but I was designated penalty taker.

BUT the difference between me looking shit hot in the Wimbledon & District Sunday League and what our England players went through last night is A) The quality of the keeper they faced & B) The incredible pressure they were under.

The most pathetic of players can score a penalty if they are facing a guy about as good as they are and the most that will happen if they miss is a bit of piss-taking in the pub afterwards.

Pressure changes all that. 

A professional player not only has to possess an incredible skillset and high-level of fitness, but also be able to deal with incredible pressure to perform at all times. But for every pro, there will inevitably be times where nerves get the better of them. 

4 hours ago, Fjmcity said:

I also feel sorry for Jack and the abuse he got for not taking a penalty, as though it was his choice not to. 
id rather Rashford (who has a decent penalty record) came on earlier and that the penalty takers were based on what they did for their clubs and not what they did in training, where there is no pressure.

I like the idea of all drawn league games going to a penalty shoot out with the winning side getting an extra point.  Two advantages.

1.  Players will get a lot more practice under pressure

2.  It’ll stop the early leavers in the Dolman. 

7 hours ago, City oz said:

Surely mods it's time to bring back the aubergine emoji!

7 hours ago, nebristolred said:

You're forgetting there's an incredible 6ft 6 keeper in the middle of it!

And salary is completely irrelevant.

If it was based on players salaries then I reckon we'd win every penalty shootout! 

7 hours ago, City oz said:

I think I had 50P pocket money then. the three that took the penalties last night are on more than 500K most probably a month. My gripe is that two of the three danced a bloody fox trot before they even hit the ball. Why cant a player taking a penalty hit the ball hard with some vision and purpose. You can not tell me two of those three did last night

When you put it like that it's not a lot to ask, they did fart ass around I wonder with the power of hindsight if they would have tried to do things differently.

8 hours ago, City oz said:

Sorry, haven't a clue what you're on about, don't do meters, just good old feet and inches .

'When we were kids' ..... you mean when you're not fully grown so the keeper has no chance of reaching balls in the corner, yeah good take, bravo, Donarumma in goal is over 6'4, while they weren't great penalties he has a great reach compared to other keepers even Pickford whose just over 6 ft.

Also impossible for you guys as kids to replicate the pressure of a Euros final, so what if you miss a kick as a kid its forgotten, how about someone holding a gun to the head of a pet and being told if you missed your penalty they'd shoot the pet, pressure enough for you yet? 

James Van Der Beek Applause GIF

1 hour ago, Malago said:

I like the idea of all drawn league games going to a penalty shoot out with the winning side getting an extra point.  Two advantages.

1.  Players will get a lot more practice under pressure

2.  It’ll stop the early leavers in the Dolman. 

Please don't bring the American idea of there can't be draws in sport over here

8 hours ago, City oz said:

Eight feet high and 24 feet (8 yards) wide please. Those dimensions I can visualise.

Mike Gibson despite being 5' 8" made a point of touching the cross bar before games. That meant jumping 2' 4" from a standing start.

36 minutes ago, 22A said:

Eight feet high and 24 feet (8 yards) wide please. Those dimensions I can visualise.

Mike Gibson despite being 5' 8" made a point of touching the cross bar before games. That meant jumping 2' 4" from a standing start.

Don’t forget the length of his arms extend beyond his height, so not 2’4”. ?

13 hours ago, Alex_BCFC said:

One of the worst posts ever on here. 

Probably agree with you Alex. Just like the players that took the three penalties. 

At least I was half cut when I posted it.

Archived