IGNORED

Bristol City v Celtic

Red Army 75

9 hours ago, Kingswoodactor said:

Watching through Celtic TV on my IPTV. Quality is perfect, but I'm not sure I can watch anymore as they're battering us ?

Not sure why we started 2 left footed CBs, balance seems well off. 

It’s funny people always say this about playing two left footed CBs. But playing two right footed centre backs is very common and doesn’t attract same level of criticism. 

44 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Please excuse my ignorance but what quality of team did Celtic put out?

Absolute first team for SPL and European matches or mostly reserves and emerging Academy?

If it's the former, we did OK especially the last half an hour team.

If its the latter then we need a big improvement!

It’s irrelevant how strong the Celtic team was - it was a training exercise for both team but Celtic have a Champions League game shortly so I seriously doubt that any of them wanted to risk injury.

For Nige it’s was an opportunity to assess how his players performed playing against a team from different league rather than another English club.

Good to read that the Celtic forum thought that we were animals tho - I guess our squad are desperate to impress Nige - a positive sign for sure.

I wouldn't place too much emphasis on a first friendly, but I was encouraged by what I saw in the last 30 minutes.

HNM brought his usual energy and aggression to the midfield.

Bakinson made some penetrating forward passes as opposed to lots played sideways and backwards, that had Tinns purring.

Vyner was an improvement at RB and the other young defenders looked comfortable.

55 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Never play a Nigel Pearson team in preseason again. 

Absolute animals.

Taken from the Celtic forum. Things you love to read 

Think there was a poor challenge by Weimann that resulted in one of their players having to go off injured, which explains this.

However (& I have no favourite in the Old Firm nonsense) their fan base is weird, lots of pub team comments as well, totally ignoring we were 5 players down, it was our first friendly & they start their season far earlier so clearly will be fitter.

Otherwise as Pearson has been repeatedly stating, it is a training exercise & I’m not going to draw any conclusions at all, but with regards to Bentley I genuinely think he is just taking the opportunity to have a proper look at Max, if Bentley does go, we will still bring in another senior keeper anyway.

46 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

Well last season we were animals too, but donkeys. I assume on this occasion our designated animal is more tigerish. Sounds like we had more energy in that training game than we did in the last 10 games of last season. It will be a joy to watch a City side compete again. Blackpool at home  is 22 days away 

But the Celtic fans did quote this

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/10753001/watford-nigel-pearson-grey-wolves/

Just read the link. Holy crap. This blokes a nutter! ?

1 hour ago, Red Army 75 said:

Never play a Nigel Pearson team in preseason again. 

Absolute animals.

Taken from the Celtic forum. Things you love to read 

Obviously didn’t do their homework on Kasey ‘the absolute animal’ Palmer. 

29 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Think there was a poor challenge by Weimann that resulted in one of their players having to go off injured, which explains this.

However (& I have no favourite in the Old Firm nonsense) their fan base is weird, lots of pub team comments as well, totally ignoring we were 5 players down, it was our first friendly & they start their season far earlier so clearly will be fitter.

Otherwise as Pearson has been repeatedly stating, it is a training exercise & I’m not going to draw any conclusions at all, but with regards to Bentley I genuinely think he is just taking the opportunity to have a proper look at Max, if Bentley does go, we will still bring in another senior keeper anyway.

There was a poor challenge from Palmer to. Not being up to match speed you are always going to get a couple of poor challenges. But it’s the tempo and tenacity that IMO we have been lacking for a long time. And reading that quote after our first game is very satisfying to read. 

Some of the comments from their fans is the same as some premiership clubs. Clueless about football outside there own clubs. 

32 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I actually thought City were getting stuck in a little too much for a friendly, for our own sake as much as anything. Palmer did 3 or 4 sliders, one of which was nasty, and Weimann had a nibble too. In general we seemed a bit fired up, as I hope we'll be in competitive games, but normally you'd expect the emphasis to be on getting comfortable on the ball and with shape in a friendly.

9 minutes ago, mozo said:

I actually thought City were getting stuck in a little too much for a friendly, for our own sake as much as anything. Palmer did 3 or 4 sliders, one of which was nasty, and Weimann had a nibble too. In general we seemed a bit fired up, as I hope we'll be in competitive games, but normally you'd expect the emphasis to be on getting comfortable on the ball and with shape in a friendly.

Those two are interesting cases..

With Weimann who hasn't played competitively for 9 months perhaps it was a case of him getting his eye in a bit. Palmer is interesting though, perhaps that was his way of showing Pearson his commitment and willingness to fight for the badge if, as speculated, he was one of those Pearson was getting at the other week in that interview. 

4 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

With Weimann who hasn't played competitively for 9 months perhaps it was a case of him getting his eye in a bit. Palmer is interesting though, perhaps that was his way of showing Pearson his commitment and willingness to fight for the badge if, as speculated, he was one of those Pearson was getting at the other week in that interview. 

Palmer has done this before though, hasn’t he?

When he’s got into the side he has on occasion ran around like a demented thing, picked up yellow cards for late challenges & invariably burned himself out in games.

I am certainly not criticising the effort, it just needs to be better focused.

26 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I didn't bother to watch but a couple of comments on Twitter suggested he looked a bit out of his depth. 

Shame, looks like he's bulked up and could be a great prospect. Perhaps a league loan beckons.

If we are playing 442 we are very short on wingers.

54 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

47 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Palmer has done this before though, hasn’t he?

When he’s got into the side he has on occasion ran around like a demented thing, picked up yellow cards for late challenges & invariably burned himself out in games.

I am certainly not criticising the effort, it just needs to be better focused.

Exactly what it seemed like at the time.

And regards the rhetoric on this thread that this game doesn't mean anything, try telling that to the subs that came on at 60 minutes who will see every friendly game as a big opportunity to impress and you could see that from the effort they put into that final half hour, haring around and desperately trying to make something happen.

46 minutes ago, Selred said:

How did Sam Pearson get on?

Not in the game & looked lost.  I’m not sure if he’s a tricky or pacy winger as not seen either albeit in the limited time he’s played. If he’s anywhere near the starting 11, I’d be amazed but clearly NP rates him which from his perspective all that matters.

8 minutes ago, Shuffle said:

Not in the game & looked lost.  I’m not sure if he’s a tricky or pacy winger as not seen either albeit in the limited time he’s played. If he’s anywhere near the starting 11, I’d be amazed but clearly NP rates him which from his perspective all that matters.

The usual pre-season caveat has to apply - we can't judge anyone on this game - but I do share your general concerns. He hasn't looked like a player who is ready to challenge O'Dowda, Palmer and Semenyo but he might have more in his locker than just the right work ethic and fitness.

13 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Yeah could well mean nothing like I said. But I wouldn't be so keen on Weimann and Martin up top on the opening day.

Two players who’ve been out long term….first pre-season game against a team a couple of weeks ahead of us in their pre-season and therefore tonnes sharper than us.  When you come back from long term injury, it takes a while to find the timing - of touches, runs, body position on receipt, etc etc.  You can do 11v11s, but you only regain that sharpness by playing competitively (even friendlies).

We really shouldn’t be basing too much (if anything) on last night.

13 hours ago, SBB said:

It’s probably exactly that. Match fit, world class internationals vs early pre-season championship and U23 players. Big difference.

Yep. First game of ore-season, takes a while to get the cobwebs out.  Nige said that most pre-seasons you start with a non-league or community / charity game and you’re eased in gently.  We took on a team who have a CL qualifier next week who are much further down the pre-season plan than we are….no wonder we found the opening 45 tough.  But it served a purpose, as the starters will have seen the intensity they need to get to.  In some ways it was a perfect run-out.  Good defensive shape habits being built w/o the ball, intel on what needs to be done better in advancing the ball from the back, etc.  I thought King and James were good defensively in their shape and discipline, and Baker and Atkinson dealt well with Ajeti, who never really got enough space to get it into feet and try and roll either and get a shot away.

I saw lots of good habits W/o the ball, or at least intention, which will get fine tuned over the next 3 weeks.

Big Pluses:

Atkinson on debut looked assured, physical….and a bit of a turn of pace too.

James and King - as above

Minuses:

O’Leary’s kicking (partly our over-use of him too, esp Baker)

As a team we were rusty

Last 30 minutes:

Big Pluses:

Bakinson - “blige” he looks a monster….and I think (hope) the penny may have dropped….he did everything I want him to on and off the ball.

Nurse - thought he looked really comfortable at LB

Minuses:

the pitch!! Got really slippery late on!

Was Morton the only player not to get on the pitch?

Lots of other little pluses too, and nice to watch a pre-season game live too.

From the Post:

No Dan Bentley tonight. Just to clarify, is he injured?

He's fine. Did you not see him train before the game? He was training before the game. Max was always playing tonight. I don't understand why you're trying to second-guess why people are playing or not playing.

Because its the first open doors friendly of season and he has been first choice keeper...That's not brain surgery ? He is one angry man....

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Bakinson - “blige” he looks a monster….and I think (hope) the penny may have dropped….he did everything I want him to on and off the ball.

I didn't notice much physical change but I was watching on a phone to be fair.

He had a couple of rusty moments like all of them, but he showed for the ball and demonstrated that forward passing that adds an important dimension to our game.

Only seen the highlights but a few decent attacks and a better final ball May have led to a goal or two 

Defensively we looked fairly solid 

Early days still and first pre season game a creditable 0-0 against a team 2-3 weeks ahead of where we are 

3 minutes ago, INCRED said:

Only seen the highlights but a few decent attacks and a better final ball May have led to a goal or two 

Defensively we looked fairly solid 

Early days still and first pre season game a creditable 0-0 against a team 2-3 weeks ahead of where we are 

Exactly, I'd like to play them again when we are up and running. 

50 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Two players who’ve been out long term….first pre-season game against a team a couple of weeks ahead of us in their pre-season and therefore tonnes sharper than us.  When you come back from long term injury, it takes a while to find the timing - of touches, runs, body position on receipt, etc etc.  You can do 11v11s, but you only regain that sharpness by playing competitively (even friendlies).

We really shouldn’t be basing too much (if anything) on last night.

Yep. First game of ore-season, takes a while to get the cobwebs out.  Nige said that most pre-seasons you start with a non-league or community / charity game and you’re eased in gently.  We took on a team who have a CL qualifier next week who are much further down the pre-season plan than we are….no wonder we found the opening 45 tough.  But it served a purpose, as the starters will have seen the intensity they need to get to.  In some ways it was a perfect run-out.  Good defensive shape habits being built w/o the ball, intel on what needs to be done better in advancing the ball from the back, etc.  I thought King and James were good defensively in their shape and discipline, and Baker and Atkinson dealt well with Ajeti, who never really got enough space to get it into feet and try and roll either and get a shot away.

I saw lots of good habits W/o the ball, or at least intention, which will get fine tuned over the next 3 weeks.

Big Pluses:

Atkinson on debut looked assured, physical….and a bit of a turn of pace too.

James and King - as above

Minuses:

O’Leary’s kicking (partly our over-use of him too, esp Baker)

As a team we were rusty

Last 30 minutes:

Big Pluses:

Nurse - thought he looked really comfortable at LB

Minuses:

the pitch!! Got really slippery late on!

Was Morton the only player not to get on the pitch?

Lots of other little pluses too, and nice to watch a pre-season game live too.

Very similar description of my view that I posted last night.

Completely agree about O'Leary being used by Baker too much. Although he was solid he didn't look comfortable playing that side and was looking to pass the ball immediately to Max or Atkinson or even Simpson who I think looked poor but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

I also thought King was sloppy with his passes but to be expected with his lack of game time ect.

Based on this limited showing and last season I would think Vyner will be playing right back and Kalas next to Atkinson. Left back is a dillema as Dasilva is good but looked very rusty last night, Pring looked really good in a different position and looked decent at Portsmouth. That being said I really liked the look of Nurse yesterday aswell. 

4 hours ago, Shuffle said:

I'd say you need to factor that was our first game vs Celtic's 3rd. We didn't really play in the first half to Pearson's strengths either which didn't help and as a team were under pressure defensively. I'm expecting Pearson to be sticking around, to make the 18/20 fairly often and get game time here and there. 

Archived