IGNORED

Bristol City v Celtic

Red Army 75

58 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

Very similar description of my view that I posted last night.

Completely agree about O'Leary being used by Baker too much. Although he was solid he didn't look comfortable playing that side and was looking to pass the ball immediately to Max or Atkinson or even Simpson who I think looked poor but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

if you take the general consensus that we struggled with the ball as a team first half, I think the right side was definitely an “out-ball” problem.  That’s not to criticise anyone because it was first game, but I think Sam Pearson found it tough going last night, and that possibly affected Simpson, who defended fairly well.  Of course you could argue the other way around too.  My view (possibly because of camera position was that Celtic built more easily in their left half (our right).

I also thought King was sloppy with his passes but to be expected with his lack of game time ect.

Made good passing angles but agree, gave away sloppy ball (as did a lot of them tbh)….rustiness?

Based on this limited showing and last season I would think Vyner will be playing right back and Kalas next to Atkinson. Left back is a dillema as Dasilva is good but looked very rusty last night, Pring looked really good in a different position and looked decent at Portsmouth. That being said I really liked the look of Nurse yesterday aswell.

I sense a little “battle royale” between Pring and Nurse developing over the season, even if in cup games alone.  The rumour was Nurse was off to Cheltenham, but impressed in pre-season so held back.  He looked really confident last night….a year younger than Pring too.

⬆️⬆️⬆️

7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Two players who’ve been out long term….first pre-season game against a team a couple of weeks ahead of us in their pre-season and therefore tonnes sharper than us.  When you come back from long term injury, it takes a while to find the timing - of touches, runs, body position on receipt, etc etc.  You can do 11v11s, but you only regain that sharpness by playing competitively (even friendlies).

We really shouldn’t be basing too much (if anything) on last night.

Yep. First game of ore-season, takes a while to get the cobwebs out.  Nige said that most pre-seasons you start with a non-league or community / charity game and you’re eased in gently.  We took on a team who have a CL qualifier next week who are much further down the pre-season plan than we are….no wonder we found the opening 45 tough.  But it served a purpose, as the starters will have seen the intensity they need to get to.  In some ways it was a perfect run-out.  Good defensive shape habits being built w/o the ball, intel on what needs to be done better in advancing the ball from the back, etc.  I thought King and James were good defensively in their shape and discipline, and Baker and Atkinson dealt well with Ajeti, who never really got enough space to get it into feet and try and roll either and get a shot away.

I saw lots of good habits W/o the ball, or at least intention, which will get fine tuned over the next 3 weeks.

Big Pluses:

Atkinson on debut looked assured, physical….and a bit of a turn of pace too.

James and King - as above

Minuses:

O’Leary’s kicking (partly our over-use of him too, esp Baker)

As a team we were rusty

Last 30 minutes:

Big Pluses:

Bakinson - “blige” he looks a monster….and I think (hope) the penny may have dropped….he did everything I want him to on and off the ball.

Nurse - thought he looked really comfortable at LB

Minuses:

the pitch!! Got really slippery late on!

Was Morton the only player not to get on the pitch?

Lots of other little pluses too, and nice to watch a pre-season game live too.

Yes, I also noticed a difference with Bakinson’s physique. His legs and quads looked a lot bigger!

Doesn’t appear to be a tall gangly lad anymore…

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Well, we completed a 46 match season around 8 weeks ago and now we’re off and running again - so you didn’t have to wait long ... but fair play to you for your undoubted enthusiasm ...

That was a very polite way of telling me to get a life and I thank you for that ?

14 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

Currently Celtic 0-1 PNE at Celtic Park with 20 minutes to go.

Edit: finished 0-1 with PNE bossing the game.

Turns out that these Scottish Giants are pretty ordinary - who'd of thought of that ;)

Celtic couldn’t beat 2 average Championship teams, both in their 1st week of pre season, whilst Celtic are 4 days away from their first competitive game. I still stand by my opinion that the Scottish league is total pub shite.

1 hour ago, Banned User said:

Celtic couldn’t beat 2 average Championship teams, both in their 1st week of pre season, whilst Celtic are 4 days away from their first competitive game. I still stand by my opinion that the Scottish league is total pub shite.

Correct; Celtic have announced these were warm up games for the Euro competition coming up. 

Archived