IGNORED

Bristol City v Celtic

Red Army 75

51 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Just talking about what I saw even if it sounds harsh from Celtic having 2 extra friendlies before this and us obviously not full strength.

Celtic dominated first half. But we looked pretty solid defensively. Very strong looking against a smaller Celtic side.

O'Leary, Atkinson, Baker, James and Weimann impressed me.

I think most of the others have been poor. 

442 with Weimann alongside Martin I am not so sure is the way forward. Not just because of that half but just not sure it will work.

I was thinking Weimann would play a bit deeper. Celtic having that extra man in midfield and we can't put any moves together.

But its only a friendly. Might all mean nothing.

I think if Nige wants to go 442 then Wells would work much better alongside Weimann. Obviously he isn't available for this game.

Don't panic, it's just a training session (Pearson says so)? 

Plus we're without 2, if not 3, definite starters, so formations today will be just about getting everyone a game, not how we might set up in a few weeks time 

47 minutes ago, KegCity said:

Celtic fans are delusional on Twitter, talking as if we’re a pub side when this our first pre season fixture and they have a champions league match on Tuesday…

Just twitter back saying "We're just using you as a training session, mate" - that should set them right

Read some of the Celtic match reports. I’m not sure deluded is the right word but they certainly were not watching the same game. Did our goalkeepers have a shot to save? Did we not hit the post (twice may be) did we not have numerous chances. I know possession to some means domination, but I think that their European aspirations could be short lived!

3 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Read some of the Celtic match reports. I’m not sure deluded is the right word but they certainly were not watching the same game. Did our goalkeepers have a shot to save? Did we not hit the post (twice may be) did we not have numerous chances. I know possession to some means domination, but I think that their European aspirations could be short lived!

Celtic will have difficulty playing in the championship 

5 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Maybe it’s because I’ve been watching top quality international football at the euros recently, but I thought we were pretty poor. 

Especially the first team regulars, we looked so slow.

Why do you think that is ?

7 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Maybe it’s because I’ve been watching top quality international football at the euros recently, but I thought we were pretty poor. 

Especially the first team regulars, we looked so slow.

It’s probably exactly that. Match fit, world class internationals vs early pre-season championship and U23 players. Big difference.

Very tedious first hour, but the last half hour with the second team on was quite fun.  Pring and Nurse looked good, while Bakinson seems to have bulked up a bit in the summer and is beginning to look a bit like JET in physique.  Moore and Vyner looked confident and O’Dowda showed touches of class and hit the post with a header.

Some of these comments are gold. After relegation form for 6 months, the release of 10 or more players, 6 weeks off, and integrating new players we drew 0-0 against a side who will be competing in the champions league next week. We saw what we needed to see. Effort. It was there in bundles. Yes we want to be a good footballing side but effort wasn’t there end of last season. Good to see it back. We can add the footballing stuff from there. 

Now, a worry here or there is fine. I agree with @JonDolmanthat Weimann and Martin didn’t look like something I’d like to see long term. 

Massengo is miles ahead of King as a player. James gets benefit of doubt as I think it was him shouting instructions all first half. If so, that was needed and think will be useful over the season. 

Palmer is lost/wasted on the wing. He gives effort but just don’t think that is going to suit him. We do need to remember he(and the first half squad) were up against more of a first XI Celtic than the second half lads. 

Bakinson and O’Dowda looked quite sharp to me. Max again doing himself no harm in the battle against Bentley even if unlikely to catch him if both fit. Atkinson and Baker read situations quite well. 

I could keep going but overall quite a big positive today. 

10 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Why do you think that is ?

6 minutes ago, SBB said:

It’s probably exactly that. Match fit, world class internationals vs early pre-season championship and U23 players. Big difference.

Granted. 

Just feel we’re a bit short of pace in the squad.

First 60 mins Celtic were dominating with quick passing and possession. Thought some players looked slow but it's early days. Thought Atkinson looked composed and looks decent. James looked tidy enough. Weimanns running was welcome although no one else charged with him properly so they played through us. Next 30 mins I was impressed with the energy the youngsters had. Thought Nurse played some nice balls with his left foot and Pring seemed to do well in a unfamiliar role. Conway looks hungry and hope he kicks on.  Massengo chased as he did at the end of last season and Bakinson has come back looking much bigger and played some great passes to get us up the pitch. 

Decent run out for fitness but plenty of places up for grabs for the start of the season.

I was there :)

123D822B-7E01-429D-BDA5-44E3540463D7.jpeg

3 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

First 60 mins Celtic were dominating with quick passing and possession. Thought some players looked slow but it's early days. Thought Atkinson looked composed and looks decent. James looked tidy enough. Weimanns running was welcome although no one else charged with him properly so they played through us. Next 30 mins I was impressed with the energy the youngsters had. Thought Nurse played some nice balls with his left foot and Pring seemed to do well in a unfamiliar role. Conway looks hungry and hope he kicks on.  Massengo chased as he did at the end of last season and Bakinson has come back looking much bigger and played some great passes to get us up the pitch. 

Decent run out for fitness but plenty of places up for grabs for the start of the season.

Yep exactly this.

2 hours ago, Kingswoodactor said:

Watching through Celtic TV on my IPTV. Quality is perfect, but I'm not sure I can watch anymore as they're battering us ?

Not sure why we started 2 left footed CBs, balance seems well off. 

Didn’t watch it . It’s a waste of time. As for the balance at centre back . It’s only a practice match for fitness . Even NP said they’re a waste of time & he’d rather not have friendlies

Archived