IGNORED

green football shirts to be banned?

12 hours ago, GreedyHarry said:

**** me. I’ve just learnt that today. Purple is my nemesis. Either blue or pink to me. Quite often I guess it’s purple when I can’t decide which colour it is, but Dairy Milk being purple never occurred to me.

My worst error was buying ink cartridges for school. We had to have blue or black ink. There was a great offer on “Peacock Blue” so I bought a job lot and was pleased as punch until the **** of an English teacher refused to mark my work as apparently it was turquoise.

My biggest error was wearing my Dads white shirt to school when mine were all dirty and not realising it was very pale pink!

6 hours ago, solihull cider red said:

Green shirts aren't the problem in my experience, but there may be people that can't see the green on green & wouldn't be surprised if people were having issues (I do wonder if what it's actually causing problems with is the technology that enables them to sell different adverts in different countries on the pitchside advertising). Back in the black and white TV days, weren't there generally accepted colours etc that couldn't be used?

I would advocate guidance for clubs (& referees) that preferred stripes or distinctly different colours rather than outright banning colours.

Tried that one with a few electrical diy jobs round the house - partner's father pointed out the new wires and suggested I might be able to give it a go in future now that we've seen the newer wires. I've realised that was just an excuse for me & I'm not particularly confident with electrical odd jobs.

What did you have one of these to wire up ?

th?id=AMMS_edda3b7acf6fe739e2d309e5cb7345c0&w=75&h=75&c=7&rs=1&qlt=80&o=6&pid=SANGAM

13 hours ago, solihull cider red said:

Did any of the colourblind city followers watch our game at home to Birmingham or Milwall last season?

Awful. The Birmingham kit I remember being particularly terrible. 

On 5 a side kits you have my sympathy. My old team decided we'd play in purple. Obviously at least two other teams in the league used blue...so yeh those games went as well for me as you can imagine.

12 hours ago, havanatopia said:

Being colour blind is not nice, clearly, but is this the right way ?

It's 1 in 12 blokes. So that's almost an average of 1 player in each team. It's a big number of people. It's not on the level of some disabilities, of course it isn't, but it does affect players.

As I posted above, there's already extensive guidance on how to make kits accessible. Honestly, my view is that with most teams having three kits, you should always be able to get a combination that satisfies everyone. But that relies on clubs, and officials to make intelligent choices when deciding which kits to wear for a particular fixture.

If those clubs that traditionally wear green (the article says only Sassuolo in Serie A) are happy to have a white, blue, or otherwise drastically different away kit then great, when they play a team in red they need to remember to bring the white kit, and put the green to one side for a game.

The Birmingham game last season is a great example. Why didn't they wear their blue kit when they played us? Why that green one? 

As I say, there's FIFA/UEFA guidance on this already, it just needs to be read and implemented.

6 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

I really want to try the colourblind fixing glasses has anybody used them?  

https://youtu.be/PAhS9ktBJCY

My parents got a set from the states to try out on patients. I was the Guinea pig. Honestly it was an absolute sensory overload. Stuff was really vivid, very bright, there was green bloody everywhere ???

I tried them for a day and decided I was happy in my muted world, even if I do wear purple every now and then, and sometimes struggle with the odd football kit.

• Like 1

On 17/07/2021 at 06:39, Tinmans Love Child said:

I really want to try the colourblind fixing glasses has anybody used them?  

https://youtu.be/PAhS9ktBJCY

There is no cure for inherited colour blindness. If there were every optician that I've ever seen would be trying to upsell me. You can however, get glasses to help with some types of acquired colour-blindness (at least according to the spec-savers aussie website.)

On 16/07/2021 at 18:33, Slacker said:

When I got married many moons ago,I wore a suit for the first and last time in my life.I wanted to get a blue suit and the future Mrs Slacker helped me choose one.It was many years later when she admitted she helped me choose a suit in her preferred colour of green and just let me believe it was blue.

She wanted to marry a bloke in a green suit?

On 16/07/2021 at 17:00, ExiledAjax said:

Haha, a fair question that I will try to explain.

Ok, so being "colourblind" doesn't mean I do not see colour. Basically I just see red and green less intensely than most. In reality this affects my daily life very little, however there are some circumstances where it does cause issues.

I find that when multiple shades of red/green/brown (or blue/purple or white/pink) are present and 'mixed' together - I have trouble distinguishing them.

So, where it is just City in red versus a green pitch, it's basically fine. That's one strong clear shade of red on a strong, clear green background. I probably don't see the green as brightly as you, but I can see the players just fine. It's when a third option is introduced that the struggle begins for me, especially if, as on Wednesday, that third option is a darker green like Celtic wore. Another example is a snooker table - apparently there are green and brown balls on that thing but all I've ever seen is a bunch of reds at one end, and then two others next to the yellow ball in baulk.

As @Tinmans Love Child says, actually I more often have issues seeing purple. I've had numerous pieces of clothing that I've thought are blue, only to be told years later they are purple. Our purple kit really isn't that offensively bright to me either. It's all because I don't perceive the red element of the purple very well, and so it comes across as a muted blue.

I absolutely refuse to believe in made up colours like 'turquoise', 'magenta' and 'cyan'.

Caveat all the above with the fact that colourblindness is very much a spectral issue (pardon the pun) and everyone that 'suffers' from it will be affected in a slightly different way, and will have a slightly different experience.

Officially the most interesting thing I’ve ever read on OTIB. Thanks. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If I’m higher up in a stand watching cricket I struggle to see the ball when played along the ground.

However, when they started using a pink ball in some day night games I couldn’t see it at all, to the point when the crowd roared at a big hit I had to duck down as I wasn’t sure if it was coming my way.

Luckily I wasn’t the only one and I don’t think they use it anymore 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sleepy1968 said:

There is no cure for inherited colour blindness. If there were every optician that I've ever seen would be trying to upsell me. You can however, get glasses to help with some types of acquired colour-blindness (at least according to the spec-savers aussie website.)

Yeh I appreciate there’s no cure, The link I shared was about the very same glasses you’ve mentioned

• Thanks 1

Well this is all very intriguing. I’ve known I was slightly colour blind since I was a teenager. At the time, it was a bolt from the blue (to coin a pun). Like many others, I was tested at school, with a book of pictures made up of circles of different colours. Some of the images were blindingly obvious (sorry about the puns) but the majority just looked like pleasing groups of various pastel shades, so I couldn’t make out the various numbers or whatever were represented. I could, though, tell that the colours were different.

Seeing as there were a lot of those I couldn’t differentiate, clearly my “slight” colour blindness is more acute than I admit. However, without that test, to this day I don’t think I’d have known. I have no issues with true red and green or any other practical problems. My only colour issues are when I choose a garment in a clothes shop and can’t decide whether it’s green or brown. I remain convinced there is a greenish brown shade that is somewhere in the middle. But no doubt people with normal colour vision see a clear distinction I don’t.

So for those with normal colour vision - there are a lot of colour blind people out here that barely know it and who rarely run into  any practical issues because of it. We don’t know what it is we can’t see. 

• Like 1

An update.

After the Boro v City game in the summer I emailed the Club/SLO/SC&T to ask if they (and Hummel) would take the FA/FIFA guidelines - linked in the quoted post below - into consideration when designing next seasons kits, and if possible, when deciding what kit to wear in each match. The SC&T (I think @Blagdon red perhaps?) brought this to the clubs attention in one of their recent Zoom meetings. I have been told that although it was the final item on a very lengthy agenda, Richard Gould and the others said that yes, they would consider the guidance and take it into consideration.

This is great news. As a club we already have three traditional distinctive kits - Red/White home, White/Black away, and Purple/Green third. With those three colour palettes to choose from we really should be able to have a kit clash that works for everyone in every game we play. 

We will see what we get in in the spring, but I am hopeful we won't have too many repeats of the Celtic friendly, the Boro game, or even to a lesser extent last night's match with Millwall.

On 16/07/2021 at 19:59, ExiledAjax said:

Just been googling and there's actually already some pretty comprehensive FA/FIFA guidance for clubs and associations regarding colourblindness.

https://www.colourblindawareness.org/colour-blindness-and-sport/guidance-documents/

This document is lengthy, but provides (apparently, I can't tell really) some examples of how the world looks to those of us with colourblindness. It also runs through some of the most common kit issues and issues around signage at stadia.

https://www.colourblindawareness.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/FA_COLOUR_BLINDNESS_IN_FOOTBALL_ENG.pdf

People may be interested in reading if they've already watched some paint dry tonight.

@Leveller @Tinmans Love Child @Slacker

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

An update.

After the Boro v City game in the summer I emailed the Club/SLO/SC&T to ask if they (and Hummel) would take the FA/FIFA guidelines - linked in the quoted post below - into consideration when designing next seasons kits, and if possible, when deciding what kit to wear in each match. The SC&T (I think @Blagdon red perhaps?) brought this to the clubs attention in one of their recent Zoom meetings. I have been told that although it was the final item on a very lengthy agenda, Richard Gould and the others said that yes, they would consider the guidance and take it into consideration.

This is great news. As a club we already have three traditional distinctive kits - Red/White home, White/Black away, and Purple/Green third. With those three colour palettes to choose from we really should be able to have a kit clash that works for everyone in every game we play. 

We will see what we get in in the spring, but I am hopeful we won't have too many repeats of the Celtic friendly, the Boro game, or even to a lesser extent last night's match with Millwall.

@Leveller @Tinmans Love Child @Slacker

I too am colourblind. Watching last night’s match v Millwall on TV I struggled, at times, to differentiate players from the two teams as both wore (to me!) white shorts.

I’ve always believed that competing teams had to wear contrasting shirts, shorts and socks so that players and officials could have no possibility to mistake combatants in the heat of battle. Has this rule been changed or was it an oversight by everybody’s favourite kitman which was sanctioned by the referee? 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

I too am colourblind. Watching last night’s match v Millwall on TV I struggled, at times, to differentiate players from the two teams as both wore (to me!) white shorts.

I’ve always believed that competing teams had to wear contrasting shirts, shorts and socks so that players and officials could have no possibility to mistake combatants in the heat of battle. Has this rule been changed or was it an oversight by everybody’s favourite kitman which was sanctioned by the referee? 

So the Laws of the Game published by the FA requires only that:

• The two teams must wear colours that distinguish them from each other and the match officials; and
  • Each goalkeeper must wear colours that are distinguishable from the other players and the match officials; and
  • If the two goalkeepers’ shirts are the same colour and neither has another shirt, the referee allows the match to be played.

That's it.

I believe it is then up to the teams to decide what kit they will wear, and for referees to then approve prior to the game that the two kits comply with the above. Referees might have some further guidance, but ultimately if team A turns up with Red, and team B turns up with Green...what can they really do. I believe most teams take two kits to games, but I suspect this isn't always the case. Of course there was a famous case involving Mansfield and some other club in 2014 where a spare kit was used...but I don't think that was to do with the colours. I also remember Man Utd changing kit at half time back in the 90's - I think that was a case of players struggling to distinguish each other. There is some small precedent there.

On last night's game, honestly I understand that to 'normal' sighted people Red v Dark Blue is fine. I suspect down on the ground it was better than it was on TV as well. However, I agree with you that when the long camera shot was used, on a fairly low resolution stream like RobinsTV, under floodlights, well it was tricky to distinguish people. For me it wasn't as bad as the Celtic friendly or the Boro game in the summer, but it wasn't comfortable.

To be fair to Scotty and the club - if no one raises the issue to them then I wouldn't expect them to think of it independently.

As I said, the SC&T told me today that the club have noted my email and will take the FA guidance under consideration when designing future kits. I then listened to the @3 Peaps In A PodCast episode with JL, and he said that 2022/23's kits have been signed off a few weeks ago, so I suspect the first kits we would see that have expressly had regard to the guidance will be for 2023/24. 

However, I hope that doesn't stop us working with our remaining opponents this season to try and minimise these kit blends in our remaining fixtures.

Hearing from others on this thread is useful btw as it means that if we approach the Club about this we have a record showing that this isn't just a tiny fraction of the fanbase.

1 hour ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

They must have relaxed the rules somewhat this year, as that's one of several occasions (away at QPR and Reading also) where both teams wore white shorts, where in years gone by red were worn.

On a similar note, did anybody watch West Brom v QPR on Friday?  On certain angles it was a bit jarring (to my eyes at least)

Summary and highlights of West Bromwich Albion 2-1 QPR in Championship |  09/25/2021 - VAVEL USA

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

They must have relaxed the rules somewhat this year, as that's one of several occasions (away at QPR and Reading also) where both teams wore white shorts, where in years gone by red were worn.

On a similar note, did anybody watch West Brom v QPR on Friday?  On certain angles it was a bit jarring (to my eyes at least)

Summary and highlights of West Bromwich Albion 2-1 QPR in Championship |  09/25/2021 - VAVEL USA

Yes I actually mentioned it oñ here when the game was in progress. Very jarring especially as it was two styles of blue and white kit, albeit different shades of blue.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

Pretty poor when WBA have this as a third kit:

WBA Third Kit - 21/22

10+ years ago, I read an article on US sports which stated that, by tradition dating back to the days of B&W TV’s, one team competing in American Football or Baseball matches are required to wear white jerseys whilst the other must wear a dark colour so that spectators can more easily follow the action. Whenever I see US team sports played they still seem to follow this rule. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I`m not colour blind so I don`t know the answer to this but is it just a thing you guys have problem with when watching on TV or is it the same when it`s live?

It is worse on TV. Especially a night game.

However, yeh I've had issues watching live, and also when playing. 

Colour is colour at the end of the day.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I`m not colour blind so I don`t know the answer to this but is it just a thing you guys have problem with when watching on TV or is it the same when it`s live?

As I said earlier in this thread, when I’m at cricket if the red ball is truck hard, especially early season when the grass is a deep green colour, I find it hard to follow.

Im not sure I used to have this problem though, so perhaps it’s just me getting older.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

10+ years ago, I read an article on US sports which stated that, by tradition dating back to the days of B&W TV’s, one team competing in American Football or Baseball matches are required to wear white jerseys whilst the other must wear a dark colour so that spectators can more easily follow the action. Whenever I see US team sports played they still seem to follow this rule. 

Ice Hockey is the same, as you suggest it seems to be a blanket thing for all American sports. It seemed to apply during Euro 2020 (2021) that in most matches one team played in white. I cannot see why this cannot be done in the Football League. If the home team play in white then the away team play in blue or red. If the home team play in red then the away team have to play in white. If ten percent of the population encounter difficulty with differentiating between teams when colours to them are very similar then something has to be done and the white shirt idea is a simple one to irradicate the problem.

• Like 1