IGNORED

Welcome to the Select Car Leasing Stadium ?

exAtyeoMax

7 minutes ago, bris red said:

Perfect for them though isn’t it.. Reading FC are the absolute definition of plastic. I ******* hate that stadium aswell, a typical identikit bowl on a trading estate - awful!

Our stadium may be old and outdated but at least it's got character tucked in amongst the houses 

3 hours ago, miser said:

Will be ignored by all the fans who will call it whatever they called it before

Well not quite what they called it before but all the fans wanted the Emirates to be called Ashburton Grove but I've never heard anyone actually call it that. 

Let's face it this is the MO for most owners - over extend the finances, sell out while maintaining control. Same as the MO for most supporters is I want the club to play champagne football but I also complain about paying Fanta prices when water is free ?

3 hours ago, miser said:

Will be ignored by all the fans who will call it whatever they called it before

I agree. However, I was watching some YouTube video showing all the grounds in the various leagues and so many of them are now sponsored I struggled to remember the name of the actual grounds. I suspect kids would always associate with the sponsor name longer term and then the original name falls into the background. Hope I'm wrong. 

I understand the branding from the clubs perspective but I often wonder what the company gets out of it. Select Car Leasing is not a global brand and nor is it ever likely to be. They're based in Reading so presumably are already well known locally. How much business are they likely to derive from outside Berkshire because their name is on a stadium? 

As for the name well the Madjeski has a sort of ring to it. Somehow football commentators saying 'here we are at Select Car Leasing Stadium' doesn't have the same gravitas. 

1 hour ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I understand the branding from the clubs perspective but I often wonder what the company gets out of it. Select Car Leasing is not a global brand and nor is it ever likely to be. They're based in Reading so presumably are already well known locally. How much business are they likely to derive from outside Berkshire because their name is on a stadium? 

As for the name well the Madjeski has a sort of ring to it. Somehow football commentators saying 'here we are at Select Car Leasing Stadium' doesn't have the same gravitas. 

Always thought the same about companies being shirt sponsors, I doubt if most people would have known who or what Dunder were when they were on our shirts, I think sponsorship is tax deductable so I'm guessing many do it for that reason.

A statement of intent Mr Lansdown please - let’s call it “Atyeo’s Ashton Gate” to see off all the potential vulture sponsors and get the great man’s name removed from the worst stand in our stadium - John should never have had to share his legacy with the likes of weak lager brands - the ‘Carling Atyeo Stand’ was just ugly ... 

17 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

Very fitting for a club with a stupid stadium name in the first place

I love 'Ashton Gate' and hope the name never changes 

A few others that come to mind.

Coventry - Coventry Building Society stadium.

Southampton the Saints just south down the road from us. - St Marys,s sounds like a blody church.

Brighton - Falmer stadium. I had a pair of those jeans in the 70,s.

Peterborough - London Road ??

Oldham - Boundry Park sounds like a cricket ground to me.

Archived