IGNORED

Bristol City Books.

City oz

Just been going through the old books in the house. Came across the Bristol City bible. It is called Bristol City A complete record 1894-1987. Put together by David Woods and Andrew Crabtree.

I started going to Ashton Gate about six or seven and this would of been around 1970.. Looking back in this book today there are some great memories especially where there is reference to the 1st Division days.

Great people and great players and managers like Gerry Sharpe where his playing career came to a horrible end with a broken leg, Terry Cooper, Bob Houghton, Ken Wimshurst for a very short spell and of course Alan Dicks are all mentioned in this great book.

There is a fantastic pic of Joe Royle and those of you who were at the Gate would remember this well Joe on his debut scored all 4 goals in 1977 on his debut against Middelsborough.

Pic of the bold headed John Shaw and he had great talent as a goalie behind Ray Cash. Trevor Tainton one of my heroes who most often and not  played on the right wing, another winger after Trev was Clive Whitehead.

Chris Garland who scored two goals against Liverpool in May 1977, 

Other like Bobby Gould, Paul Cheesley.

Best for me is on page 295 that has this book and it has the match to remember Coventry City 2 and us 2. I was at Coventry that night and the attendance was almost 37,000. It was the most bizarre last five minutes of a match I have ever witnessed. 

Just wondering how many of these great books are still around.

COYReds

1 hour ago, City oz said:

Just been going through the old books in the house. Came across the Bristol City bible. It is called Bristol City A complete record 1894-1987. Put together by David Woods and Andrew Crabtree.

I started going to Ashton Gate about six or seven and this would of been around 1970.. Looking back in this book today there are some great memories especially where there is reference to the 1st Division days.

Great people and great players and managers like Gerry Sharpe where his playing career came to a horrible end with a broken leg, Terry Cooper, Bob Houghton, Ken Wimshurst for a very short spell and of course Alan Dicks are all mentioned in this great book.

There is a fantastic pic of Joe Royle and those of you who were at the Gate would remember this well Joe on his debut scored all 4 goals in 1977 on his debut against Middelsborough.

Pic of the bold headed John Shaw and he had great talent as a goalie behind Ray Cash. Trevor Tainton one of my heroes who most often and not  played on the right wing, another winger after Trev was Clive Whitehead.

Best for me is on page 295 that has this book and it has the match to remember Coventry City 2 and us 2. I was at Coventry that night and the attendance was almost 37,000. It was the most bizarre last five minutes of a match I have ever witnessed. 

COYReds

I`ve still got mine and the follow up one which carried on from 1987. The second one is great as it gives a little summary of each game which brings those January Tuesday nights in Grimsby back like it was yesterday!

My copy of the David Woods book is still at my parents’ house. I used to love that book as a kid. 

The Peter Godsiff one is also there, but my copy had a mistake in the printing, so one section was in there twice with another one missing altogether. 

14 hours ago, City oz said:

COYReds

I don’t have a copy

17 hours ago, archie andrews said:

I remember a peter godsiff book out in about 79 big photo of the fans on the pitch 76 just inside sure a few can be recognised... 

I have the Peter Godsiff book also, my dad had mine signed by Arthur Milton as they were postmen together.

23 hours ago, City oz said:

COYReds

That David Woods book is a superb reference, I used it for most of the setting up of Citystats in 1999/2000 as it only left the more up to date details to really be discovered.

Would love there to be a more up to date version, you can't even find anything that detailed on the web since Citystats died.

Archived