IGNORED

The Formula One Thread

Tipps69

1 minute ago, Tipps69 said:

Race in Turkey has got underway in damp conditions to say the least & this is the way F1 should be raced every time.

They are spinning out all over the place & it’s like going down the M5 with spray all over the place.

Well the drivers do get paid probably a million a race where you driving down the M5 get nought.

F1 drivers in the rain show which ones are worth it. 

3 hours ago, City oz said:

Well the drivers do get paid probably a million a race where you driving down the M5 get nought.

F1 drivers in the rain show which ones are worth it. 

That’ll be Hamilton then.

• Like 5

• Admin
2 minutes ago, phantom said:

I see Alex Albon made a mess of his car in practice today. Reported that the damage will cost ONE MILLION POUNDS to repair 

Watched that live, then the commentators were suggesting £700K...... shit happens.

That said, not sure he’ll be sat in a Red Bull next season.

• Like 1

The speed that it happened was frightening. Huge fire and as others have said amazing that he got out of that, considering he was really strapped in too. No wonder he was later seen in the medical car with tears streaming down his face, massive shock for onlookers never mind him. Not sure how the other drivers refocus to race again today.

12 minutes ago, TomF said:

I thought he was dead just from the fire never mind his car splitting in half, him going through the barrier and then having to get out in a fireball.  Questions over that type of barrier surely. 

Honestly, not so sure.

It was a section of the track where the chance of an accident was minimal. 

Raikkonen had an accident at Silverstone a couple of years ago onto the same type of barrier, but because he hit the barrier at a more shallow angle he glanced off and all was good.

Here Grosjean has gone into the barrier at a near on 90⁰ angle and the fact the barrier deformed is actually good, because it means less impact going into the car and driver.

Had he hit a solid wall all of the impact would have been on Grosjean's body, his chance of survival would have been even less.

The main issue really is the way the barrier split, but that is arguably the result of the HALO doing such a good job. It is there as a safety device and by it's nature is meant to withstand high impacts.

If the accident was repeated (hopefully it won't be) with the concrete blocks that have replaced that section I wouldn't expect the results to be any nicer.

Edited by JamesBCFC
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, TomF said:

I thought he was dead just from the fire never mind his car splitting in half, him going through the barrier and then having to get out in a fireball.  Questions over that type of barrier surely. 

Standard safety barrier, the same as you get on the road network but with three rails. If that had been a concrete barrier or a water filled wall he would have died

No barrier is designed for a straight on collision

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

Honestly, not so sure.

It was a section of the track where the chance of an accident was minimal. 

Raikkonen had an accident at Silverstone a couple of years ago onto the same type of barrier, but because he hit the barrier at a more shallow angle he glanced off and all was good.

Here Grosjean has gone into the barrier at a near on 90⁰ angle and the fact the barrier deformed is actually good, because it means less impact going into the car and driver.

Had he hit a solid wall all of the impact would have been on Grosjean's body, his chance of survival would have been even less.

The main issue really is the way the barrier split, but that is arguably the result of the HALO doing such a good job. It is there as a safety device and by it's nature is meant to withstand high impacts.

If the accident was repeated (hopefully it won't be) with the concrete blocks that have replaced that section I wouldn't expect the results to be any nicer.

Excellent post.

The Armco is generally used where there is less chance of an impact. Unfortunately on this occasion it was a very high force impact. 

As mentioned in commentary, if he had hit it at the right angle the car would have taken a slide down the barrier and eventually come to a stop (Although there wasn't a lot of it because of where the access road was located). Here, the car has hit the barrier at such an angle and at such a force that the barrier has opened up, but the car has split at the point the roll bar (I think) hits the barrier. ( @phantom this should answer you question) 

The force of the impact was recorded at 53G. Amazingly Grosjean didn't lose consciousness, which I find incredible. It was around 25 seconds between impact and Grosjean jumping over the barrier. The miracle here is that he went through that barrier, thankfully saved by the halo, but also the fact he was in that fire for so long. 

I've watch F1 for 30 years a have only seen this sort of thing a couple of times before. A stark reminder of the fact I watch a sport incredibly dangerous for entertainment. Thankfully safety has come a very long way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, TomF said:

I think it’s more that it should have not broken up quite a much. Two years ago and he’d have been dead. Thank **** for the Halo 

F1 car is shaped like a projectile. It would be very difficult to both absorb the energy and contain the vehicle. No one will complain about the halo ever again

26 minutes ago, TomF said:

I think it’s more that it should have not broken up quite a much. Two years ago and he’d have been dead. Thank **** for the Halo 

A 56G impact is going to go horrendously no matter the barrier.

I'd speculate the concrete blocks would have actually broken in parts- not shattered, but fragments of concrete come off as that has happened with lesser collisions- and there would have been debris of concrete flying around, potentially increasing the risk to not just Grosjean, but also the marshals posted next to the crash.

• Admin
2 hours ago, phantom said:

I'm far from knowing anything about an F1 car, but is it not odd that there is such a neat split in the car?

Is it two sections joined together? 

Otherwise surely such a neat separation seems very odd to me 

I have been involved in several accident investigations, the idea of them is to learn what happened and make improvements, listening to the comments today, this circumstance was one that hadn’t been covered by previous experience of a car hitting a barrier on a straight at such an acute angle.   It would be fascinating to be involved and no doubt there will be some changes that come from the investigation.

The fact that the car split in two may not be significant, as the survival pod obviously stayed intact.

• Like 1

• Admin
18 minutes ago, TomF said:

Apparently the survival pod did exactly what it’s meant to in splitting from the rest. What’s no clear is should it have burst into flames - guessing not.

It reminded me of some of the footage of Lauda’s crash years ago and some of the fatalities from the 1970s. Scary thing is even 3 years ago without the Halo I reckon he’d be a goner 

I thought he was a goner when I saw the crash....  it’s amazing that he got himself out and walked away (albeit aided) from that.  Listening to the Engineers thoughts that were reported, is that the fuel pod (tank) stayed intact and it was either fuel lines or the smaller fuel tank that takes the feed from the pod that was compromised.

2 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

I thought he was a goner when I saw the crash....  it’s amazing that he got himself out and walked away (albeit aided) from that.  Listening to the Engineers thoughts that were reported, is that the fuel pod (tank) stayed intact and it was either fuel lines or the smaller fuel tank that takes the feed from the pod that was compromised.

Seeing it live, I thought he was ok cos I’d seen the back end of the car away from the fire, but the angle we were watching from you couldn’t see the front was in the barrier on fire, so it was a lot worse than I thought it would be.

Halo has done it's job there and some!! 

Actually missed this race, forgot what time it started and didn't know anything about this until about an hour ago. How he's alive is one thing, but able to walk (with help) and talk about it is a damn miracle.

Don't think anybody would blame him if he never got inside one of those cars again!!

Edited by Taz