IGNORED

Arsenal 0 City 1 replay on telly monday night

Just now, MC RISK77 said:

Do they ever show any other games

Yep; same time next Monday.

I was at Highbury that day, but am still enthralled watching replays of that game. Rugged tackles going in, but players staying on their feet and not appealing to the ref. Afterwards the London Evening Standard printed "Tom Ritchie is obviously an England player of the future".

Showing my age here, but the shirts of both teams look so much better without an advert splashed across it.

4 minutes ago, 22A said:

Yep; same time next Monday.

I was at Highbury that day, but am still enthralled watching replays of that game. Rugged tackles going in, but players staying on their feet and not appealing to the ref. Afterwards the London Evening Standard printed "Tom Ritchie is obviously an England player of the future".

Showing my age here, but the shirts of both teams look so much better without an advert splashed across it.

Haha glad it’s bringing you back some good memories. A little before my time.

not sure about Ritchie I swear he just had a 20 yard head start through on goal but O’Leary caught him comfortably.

Chessley does look the real deal though, Am I right in thinking his career was effectively ended just 4 days later?

For all our younger forum members; Terry Neil had just been appointed Arsenal Manager "I'm going to shake this team up" he promised at the time.

Arsenal then went and spent a great sum of Malcolm MacDonald. He told the press how he was going to score against Bristol City and would score 30 goals that season. In the end he scored just 29. City's entire team that day cost just one third of what MacDonald cost ?

Don't forget City won the return fixture at AG 2-0!

25 minutes ago, BRIAN WILSON said:

That Away shirt really is a thing of beauty - In the clock end that day and PHEW it was hot

I remember that day with clarity, I was behind the goal when cheesley scored I will never forget that moment, what a day. city played really good football as well.

51 minutes ago, 22A said:

For all our younger forum members; Terry Neil had just been appointed Arsenal Manager "I'm going to shake this team up" he promised at the time.

Arsenal then went and spent a great sum of Malcolm MacDonald. He told the press how he was going to score against Bristol City and would score 30 goals that season. In the end he scored just 29. City's entire team that day cost just one third of what MacDonald cost ?

£333,333 if memory serves.

1 hour ago, MC RISK77 said:

Haha glad it’s bringing you back some good memories. A little before my time.

not sure about Ritchie I swear he just had a 20 yard head start through on goal but O’Leary caught him comfortably.

Chessley does look the real deal though, Am I right in thinking his career was effectively ended just 4 days later?

Yes you are correct barely a quarter of an hour into the next game home to Stoke.

2 hours ago, 22A said:

We had a great record against the 4 London clubs that season, doubles over Arsenal, Spurs and QPR, home draw and away defeat against West Ham.  Couldn't make the Highbury game due to holidays, but saw a great win at White Hart Lane  (0-1 - Keith Fear) and a bit of a miserable 2-0 defeat at Upton Park. I wonder if other fans from that time remember how poor Cheese looked when he arrived from Norwich for around £30,000 in 1974(?).  He didn't really look anything like a decent player until the great promotion season of 75/76, but what a player he was that season, such a shame about that injury.

31 minutes ago, red kev said:

Was at the 2-0 defeat at upton Park. Stood with other, mainly older, city fans on the old chicken run. Have never been so intimidated since. 40 year old dockers huing abuse and mocking our accents.

Went there a couple of seasons later, we won, pretty sure Dave Rodgers scored. 

It was scary as ****, got chased back to the coach & didn’t say a word in the ground.

For all their “lovable cockney” image it was a really nasty place to go.

43 minutes ago, red kev said:

Was at the 2-0 defeat at upton Park. Stood with other, mainly older, city fans on the old chicken run. Have never been so intimidated since. 40 year old dockers huing abuse and mocking our accents.

10 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Went there a couple of seasons later, we won, pretty sure Dave Rodgers scored. 

It was scary as ****, got chased back to the coach & didn’t say a word in the ground.

For all their “lovable cockney” image it was a really nasty place to go.

Funnily enough we didn't have any problems at West Ham, stood in the enclosure with 3 mates (no red and white for obvious reasons!) but a few City fans were in that enclosure with red and white and no problems as far as I could tell.

But that 1-0 win at Tottenham was terrifying.  Went in the "away" section, the London (Met?) Police would do a sort of "Bristol accent test" if you didn't have a Supporters Club card or suchlike, always gave you a hard time with this (Chelsea especially) and when we finally got in there was a load of gob-shite cockneys giving it large (what sort of Bristol accent did they use to get in so easily?)  Before the game some trouble broke out and I thought my mates had escaped on to the pitch and were now in another stand near the half way line.  Walked over to where I thought they were, only to look back at our section behing the goal to see them waving at me wondering what the hell I was doing there so managed to find my way back.  The match was very tense as the away section probably now had more Spurs fans than City (many City fans were in a stand to the side sat down).  When Keith Fear scored in the last 5 minutes I went mad only for my mate Mike (the late, great Ashtonyate formerly of this Parish) sort of wrestled me to the ground for my own safety.  More shananagings on the way back to what was a chartered train - glad to get out of there in one piece with 2 points as it was then!

4 hours ago, BRIAN WILSON said:

That Away shirt really is a thing of beauty - In the clock end that day and PHEW it was hot

And 100% nylon! If you dragged your stockinged feet on a shagpile carpet whilst wearing one, the static electricity generated could power a small village.

15 minutes ago, In the Net said:

For fans of a 1970's vintage, I was wondering which game you rate higher for fan enjoyment - the FA Cup victory against Leeds at Elland Road, or the game being discussed above.  Both made it on to the front pages of newspapers at the time, I think. 

I went to both games, but the win at Highbury was the best - it was such a great occasion being our first match in the top flight for 60-odd years and to play so well in front of a massive crowd. Probably the most City fans I've seen at any away match (excluding Wembley). A few years ago I lived next door to an Arsenal fan and he said the match was still discussed amongst them because of the level of away support. The weather was perfect, it was just a perfect day.

2 hours ago, In the Net said:

For fans of a 1970's vintage, I was wondering which game you rate higher for fan enjoyment - the FA Cup victory against Leeds at Elland Road, or the game being discussed above.  Both made it on to the front pages of newspapers at the time, I think. 

Both great games, obviously, but I suspect many will also remember fondly one of our other great 1970s games - 2-2 away to Coventry: perhaps not so glamorous (on paper) but, WOW, what a night.

Strangely enough, one of my abiding memories of that first game of the season (Arsenal) was the 'friendly' welcome we received before kick-off from the Arsenal fans.  

They weren’t quite so friendly after the game.

Nor when they came to Ashton Gate later in the season.

The London clubs ,always seemed to come in the East End in reasonable numbers ,usually not for long(except West Ham on one occasion)and you were always very weary of accents next to you during those games.

13 minutes ago, Redtrojan said:

They weren’t quite so friendly after the game.

Nor when they came to Ashton Gate later in the season.

The London clubs ,always seemed to come in the East End in reasonable numbers ,usually not for long(except West Ham on one occasion)and you were always very weary of accents next to you during those games.

Indeed, and you will note that I actually wrote ‘friendly’, i.e. a large mob of them were particularly unfriendly - rather aggressive even.

8 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Both great games, obviously, but I suspect many will also remember fondly one of our other great 1970s games - 2-2 away to Coventry: perhaps not so glamorous (on paper) but, WOW, what a night.

Strangely enough, one of my abiding memories of that first game of the season (Arsenal) was the 'friendly' welcome we received before kick-off from the Arsenal fans.  

City fans had routed the Arsenal Clock Enders well before the match started.

The stewards were going round telling anybody who'd listen that it really hadn't been a good idea because there would now be thousands of Arsenal hooligans waiting for us outside.

Don't know about the numbers but as we exited the ground we were charged by a huge mob, with police horses eventually being used to separate the fans.

The EP also reported that some City fans didn't even get to Highbury after being arrested when coach loads of City and Cardiff fans clashed at a service station in the morning.

Archived