IGNORED

Arsenal 0 City 1 replay on telly monday night

11 hours ago, New Dazzler said:

Funnily enough we didn't have any problems at West Ham, stood in the enclosure with 3 mates (no red and white for obvious reasons!) but a few City fans were in that enclosure with red and white and no problems as far as I could tell.

But that 1-0 win at Tottenham was terrifying.  Went in the "away" section, the London (Met?) Police would do a sort of "Bristol accent test" if you didn't have a Supporters Club card or suchlike, always gave you a hard time with this (Chelsea especially) and when we finally got in there was a load of gob-shite cockneys giving it large (what sort of Bristol accent did they use to get in so easily?)  Before the game some trouble broke out and I thought my mates had escaped on to the pitch and were now in another stand near the half way line.  Walked over to where I thought they were, only to look back at our section behing the goal to see them waving at me wondering what the hell I was doing there so managed to find my way back.  The match was very tense as the away section probably now had more Spurs fans than City (many City fans were in a stand to the side sat down).  When Keith Fear scored in the last 5 minutes I went mad only for my mate Mike (the late, great Ashtonyate formerly of this Parish) sort of wrestled me to the ground for my own safety.  More shananagings on the way back to what was a chartered train - glad to get out of there in one piece with 2 points as it was then!

Having had a great day at Highbury I was eagerly antipating the game at White Hart Lane. Living in London then I travelled on the tube to Tottenham Hale and then walked to the ground. Everything was fine until about 15 minutes before kick-off when Tottenham fans broke through the thin line of police between us and all hell broke loose. I soon found myself over the lower wall onto the pitch pushed to onwards the shelf only to be greeted by the main group of Spurs hooligans. Eventually rounded up we were placed in a stand by the police. As for the game we were totally outplayed but the last winner never was sweeter. 

8 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Both great games, obviously, but I suspect many will also remember fondly one of our other great 1970s games - 2-2 away to Coventry: perhaps not so glamorous (on paper) but, WOW, what a night.

Strangely enough, one of my abiding memories of that first game of the season (Arsenal) was the 'friendly' welcome we received before kick-off from the Arsenal fans.  

2-2 at Coventry has to go down as one of the most memorable for me. I remember the night well. 

15 hours ago, 22A said:

Yep; same time next Monday.

I was at Highbury that day, but am still enthralled watching replays of that game. Rugged tackles going in, but players staying on their feet and not appealing to the ref. Afterwards the London Evening Standard printed "Tom Ritchie is obviously an England player of the future".

Showing my age here, but the shirts of both teams look so much better without an advert splashed across it.

Are you sure it was the Standard? Back then London had two evening papers and I thought it was the London Evening News that carried that headline. I seem to recall picking it up at Gloucester Road as I read it in preference to the Standard because my politics were not to the right of Ghengis Khan. Perhaps they both carried the story.  

I attended the following season's match at Highbury in March 78, having heard wonderful accounts of the August 76 game, followed it on Radio Bristol with phoned in reports every 15 minutes or so and seen highlights on The Big Match the next day. I hoped to experience something almost as magical.

City were 4-1 down after about twenty minutes, I recall looking at the clock at Highbury and fearing that City would concede more than the 9 Rovers had conceded to Spurs in the second tier. City had lost 0-2 home to Arsenal on the day Spurs trounced the Gas and Spurs were at Eastville winning 3-2 the day City were 4-1 down with only a quarter of the game played at Highbury.

Fortunately, the score remained 4-1 and City hit the woodwork twice in the second half. 

46 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Having had a great day at Highbury I was eagerly antipating the game at White Hart Lane. Living in London then I travelled on the tube to Tottenham Hale and then walked to the ground. Everything was fine until about 15 minutes before kick-off when Tottenham fans broke through the thin line of police between us and all hell broke loose. I soon found myself over the lower wall onto the pitch pushed to onwards the shelf only to be greeted by the main group of Spurs hooligans. Eventually rounded up we were placed in a stand by the police. As for the game we were totally outplayed but the last winner never was sweeter. 

Twas on match of the day too... 

2 hours ago, Redtrojan said:

They weren’t quite so friendly after the game.

Nor when they came to Ashton Gate later in the season.

The London clubs ,always seemed to come in the East End in reasonable numbers ,usually not for long(except West Ham on one occasion)and you were always very weary of accents next to you during those games.

I was on a coach which had a brick put through a window on our way out of North London. Didn't spoil what are great memories of that day. 

30 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

I attended the following season's match at Highbury in March 78, having heard wonderful accounts of the August 76 game, followed it on Radio Bristol with phoned in reports every 15 minutes or so and seen highlights on The Big Match the next day. I hoped to experience something almost as magical.

City were 4-1 down after about twenty minutes, I recall looking at the clock at Highbury and fearing that City would concede more than the 9 Rovers had conceded to Spurs in the second tier. City had lost 0-2 home to Arsenal on the day Spurs trounced the Gas and Spurs were at Eastville winning 3-2 the day City were 4-1 down with only a quarter of the game played at Highbury.

Fortunately, the score remained 4-1 and City hit the woodwork twice in the second half. 

Seem to remember Liam Brady destroyed us in that first half. 

I remember an interview with Cheese or Sir Geoff afterwards where he said the dressing room was subdued afterwards as the players expected to win by more than they did..

It would have been great to see where we would have ended up if we hadn't have lost PC. In the next game

1 hour ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Are you sure it was the Standard? Back then London had two evening papers and I thought it was the London Evening News that carried that headline. I seem to recall picking it up at Gloucester Road as I read it in preference to the Standard because my politics were not to the right of Ghengis Khan. Perhaps they both carried the story.  

Not being aware of local papers in London but the evening post etc went crazy. It was August the 21st 1976 and the Cheese scored in front over 41,000. and I would imagine at least 8,000 of this would of been City supporters. 

The season before we ended up being promoted in 2nd spot and I can see why sticks Tom was the highlight and mentioned as future potential to wear an England shirt as he scored 18 goals in this promotion season where is the big cheeses scored 15.  This season also highlighted Ray C in the goals at 42 apperances and sir Gerry Gow and Taints and Merrick also the heros of that season. Garland also scored 7 goals and most were towards the end of the season and 2 against Liverpool always brings back great memories and where I watched most home matches from the Enclosure in front of the Grand Stand 

The season 76/77 after playing Arsenal away we also had a good run where we drew with Stoke and Newcastle in the coming weeks and we had a massive home win against Sunderland. Then unfortunately the season fail off the roads a bit October where we suffered 6 losses in a row. the mid season then was an upward battle until near the end where in the last seven or nine matches we actually came good with wins against QPR, leeds, Liverpool and Spurs and we all know a great draw against Coventry on the 19th of May which was 2-2 and Gillies and Gerry scoring the goals.

Also interesting this season is that the gate attendance was around 27,000 for most of the bigger clubs that came to BS3. However 38,000 squeezed in to the gate against Liverpool on the last home one of the season.

Great, Great, Great memories 

22 minutes ago, B1ackbird said:

I remember an interview with Cheese or Sir Geoff afterwards where he said the dressing room was subdued afterwards as the players expected to win by more than they did..

It would have been great to see where we would have ended up if we hadn't have lost PC. In the next game

Should have been 3-0, Cheese had hit both bar and post before his magnificent winner.

2 minutes ago, City oz said:

Not being aware of local papers in London but the evening post etc went crazy. It was August the 21st 1976 and the Cheese scored in front over 41,000. and I would imagine at least 8,000 of this would of been City supporters. 

The season before we ended up being promoted in 2nd spot and I can see why sticks Tom was the highlight and mentioned as future potential to wear an England shirt as he scored 18 goals in this promotion season where is the big cheeses scored 15.  This season also highlighted Ray C in the goals at 42 apperances and sir Gerry Gow and Taints and Merrick also the heros of that season. Garland also scored 7 goals and most were towards the end of the season and 2 against Liverpool always brings back great memories and where I watched most home matches from the Enclosure in front of the Grand Stand 

The season 76/77 after playing Arsenal away we also had a good run where we drew with Stoke and Newcastle in the coming weeks and we had a massive home win against Sunderland. Then unfortunately the season fail off the roads a bit October where we suffered 6 losses in a row. the mid season then was an upward battle until near the end where in the last seven or nine matches we actually came good with wins against QPR, leeds, Liverpool and Spurs and we all know a great draw against Coventry on the 19th of May which was 2-2 and Gillies and Gerry scoring the goals.

Also interesting this season is that the gate attendance was around 27,000 for most of the bigger clubs that came to BS3. However 38,000 squeezed in to the gate against Liverpool on the last home one of the season.

Great, Great, Great memories 

Tom Ritchie is Scottish, born in Edinburgh with an accent to go with it. 

4 minutes ago, B1ackbird said:

Whitehead was superb as well, I think I would pick him above Walsh and Murray as my best City winger ( it's like picking your favourite grandson )

Whitehead was great. He had a good shuffle of the legs and he often turned the left backs in side and out. I also remember him late 80,s playing in reserves after an injury at Ashton Gate and nine times out of ten he ended up cutting inside the left back and stricking the ball hard on his left foot just out side the 18 yard box and ended up scoring.

4 minutes ago, City oz said:

Whitehead was great. He had a good shuffle of the legs and he often turned the left backs in side and out. I also remember him late 80,s playing in reserves after an injury at Ashton Gate and nine times out of ten he ended up cutting inside the left back and stricking the ball hard on his left foot just out side the 18 yard box and ended up scoring.

Image result for Clive Whitehead Footballer. Size: 133 x 204. Source: www.pinterest.com

7 hours ago, City oz said:

`We got Wi WI Whitehead on the wing`

7 hours ago, City oz said:

playing top level 87/88 with pompey too...

11 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

10 hours ago, archie andrews said:

Twas on match of the day too... 

We got to game at half time. We were delayed in the pub then couldn't get a  taxi driver to take us to White Hart Lane!  When we eventally arrived found out we missed all the trouble and a couple of stabbings too.  Very intimidating atmosphere.  2nd half was terrible  but we ended up somehow winning. If I recall correctly Don Revie and the England squad were at the game? Watched Match of the Day in a pub in Paddington and got the last train home - I think!

59 minutes ago, Maltshoveller said:

Yeah was there that day

One of if not the best player i have seen at the gate (Brady)

Yes, prior to that I thought he was somewhat over hyped by the London based media but the performance he put on that day was world class and like yourself I still rate it the greatest I have ever seen at Ashton Gate. He pulled all the strings in the Arsenal midfield that day. He really was a class above anything else on the pitch. 

Archived