IGNORED

Managers dress code

TedsHeadIs Red

There doesn’t seem to be any sort of consensus on what managers and coaches should wear on match days. During the Euros I saw smart suit and tie with polished shoes, smart suit but no tie, jacket and trousers with or without a tie, polo shirt and chinos, jumper and jeans, t shirt and joggers and the full sports regalia.

If there was to be a dress code, what would you choose? Would you want to see Nige smart, casual or sporty? Do you think it has a subtle psychological effect on players? Should managers be required to wear the club mascot outfit?

When I was playing Western League one of the teams I was playing for went through a change of management and chairman. The new one decided that all players must turn up in shirt & tie for every game.

We hated it, other clubs mocked us and it just put you in a bad mood before you even started, especially on hotter days travelling miles in the minibus.

I think they should wear what makes them feel comfortable. Some people like wearing a shirt & tie to the office to feel a bit more professional, others work better being more relaxed and comfortable.

As long as they look presentable I don't think it should matter, personally

10 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

When I was playing Western League one of the teams I was playing for went through a change of management and chairman. The new one decided that all players must turn up in shirt & tie for every game.

We hated it, other clubs mocked us and it just put you in a bad mood before you even started, especially on hotter days travelling miles in the minibus.

I think they should wear what makes them feel comfortable. Some people like wearing a shirt & tie to the office to feel a bit more professional, others work better being more relaxed and comfortable.

As long as they look presentable I don't think it should matter, personally

Interestingly that was exactly what Cotterill did. Same for Gary Johnson at some point stage also. Both of them managed two of our most successful sides in recent history.

Obviously a bit different at Western League level but I do wonder if at a professional standard whether it can help be a small marginal factor that gets players into ‘game mode’.

Cloughie: always in his trademark sweatshirt and trackies. When he took Forest to the Cup Final he did wear a suit and tie for the entrance, then quickly whipped it off and got back to the usual in the dugout. Footballer's uniforms,  no question.

CloughS.png.23fb305c5ec9abe015becffd0b2f4939.pngCloughG.png.037200435c616950db5881439d64a7db.png

Worth googling positives of wearing a suit.

Lots of studies have shown that putting on a suit makes you think differently and more powerful. Also people seeing you in a suit react differently and treat you differently.

Personally I've found this to be true in life and in sport.

Wearing comfy training wear, that's no different to the sloppy comfy clothes most wear when chilling, really doesn't present a manner of any difference to slouching on the couch watching TV...how does that motivate a mindset of preparing for something different and action?

1 hour ago, spudski said:

Worth googling positives of wearing a suit.

Lots of studies have shown that putting on a suit makes you think differently and more powerful. Also people seeing you in a suit react differently and treat you differently.

Personally I've found this to be true in life and in sport.

Wearing comfy training wear, that's no different to the sloppy comfy clothes most wear when chilling, really doesn't present a manner of any difference to slouching on the couch watching TV...how does that motivate a mindset of preparing for something different and action?

Well there's suits and suits.

Some people can wear a suit and still look like a scruffy bag of shit:

Boris Johnson during tug war Potters Fields Editorial Stock Photo - Stock  Image | Shutterstock

Just now, spudski said:

Couldn't agree more...

I hate suits, having had to wear one for much of my professional life.

In the last 5 years, I've worn one three times: to meet a major financier; for a court appearance; and at a mate's wedding.

Thing is, if you have to wear one - get a decent one and a decent fit.  A cheap, ill-fitting suit looks worse than having not bothered at all. 

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

I hate suits, having had to wear one for much of my professional life.

In the last 5 years, I've worn one three times: to meet a major financier; for a court appearance; and at a mate's wedding.

Thing is, if you have to wear one - get a decent one and a decent fit.  A cheap, ill-fitting suit looks worse than having not bothered at all. 

Same here...grew up wearing suits for work and after/before Golf and Football and other sports.

It was normal to turn up to matches wearing a suit and afterwards having dinner with the opposition or just a few drinks.

Imo...it shows respect. 

Plus when putting one on, it made you feel proud and have a little bit more energy. It was almost a ritual.

People do treat you differently when you wear one I've found.

I agree about suits that are poorly fitted. Let's face it...Boris would look a mess if he was fitted head to toe in Boss or Armani. He's just a bag of spanners. How any other nation takes him seriously god knows. The eccentric public school buffoon image isn't understood abroad...they just see him as a fat mess. It doesn't ask of any respect...or show respect.

Still...I think it's good for any team to wear a suit to games before and afterwards. 

Chucking on a tracksuit just doesn't mean anything. It just gives off a too casual feeling and vibe.

Archived