IGNORED

Blackpool Covid

Gillies Downs Leeds

1 minute ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

Our opening day opponents Blackpool's friendly with Rangers cancelled due to Covid outbreak at Blackpool. 

Be the first of many. 

It's sweeping through the younger population, with males aged 21-26 being the most likely to test positive. So many players are going to either fail a test or (in early August) be required to isolate due to "being in contact" with a case.

Running a much smaller squad may be a bit of a problem until this dies down...

1 minute ago, Selred said:

I have my second jab 2 weeks before Swansea, and I'm 27. Imagine most of the players won't be double jabbed + 14 days until Sept/Oct?

Makes no difference, in my team my deputy is double jabbed & he has it & just been on a meeting where same thing applied to someone else.

I reckon we will be very lucky to get 3 months of games in before we’re back in lockdown.

• Admin
15 minutes ago, Super said:

Just the beginning.

13 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Be the first of many. 

It's sweeping through the younger population, with males aged 21-26 being the most likely to test positive. So many players are going to either fail a test or (in early August) be required to isolate due to "being in contact" with a case.

Running a much smaller squad may be a bit of a problem until this dies down...

Interesting that measures last season resulted in very low positive tests and not impacting fixtures 

No reason why clubs can't get back to this again 

Just now, phantom said:

Interesting that measures last season resulted in very low positive tests and not impacting fixtures 

Because when we started that particular season new infections were running at 600 a day spread over the entire age range of the population. Now infections are at 50,000+ a day and disproportionately affect young adults and teens. The age most players are. 

10 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Makes no difference, in my team my deputy is double jabbed & he has it & just been on a meeting where same thing applied to someone else.

I reckon we will be very lucky to get 3 months of games in before we’re back in lockdown.

But players won't have to isolate after August 16th if double jabbed. 

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Optimistic I think. I give it a month if not sooner.

4 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Optimistic I think. I give it a month if not sooner.

They will just keep referring to the low number of hospitalisations and ignore all else. We know that their initial plan was to rely on herd immunity, now they can do that with far fewer deaths thanks to the vaccines.

9 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

They will just keep referring to the low number of hospitalisations and ignore all else. We know that their initial plan was to rely on herd immunity, now they can do that with far fewer deaths thanks to the vaccines.

Exactly this.

As long as the NHS is OK they will just let it run it's course.

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

That's the thing.  The vaccines for covid were never to stop you getting it.  The theory is that it will reduce the symptoms if you do get it, and with reduces symptoms comes reduced transmission.....though 50k cases per day does seem to throw even that into doubt.

1 hour ago, phantom said:

Because last season players didn't have the addition of 20,000 people sat around you I guess.  I realise that someone at the back of the Lansdown upper doesn't pose a threat to the players, but there will be a potential impact from people milling around the players entrance and their cars etc.

I'm not expecting it, but I wouldn't be surprised to see clear screening installed around the dugouts.

1 hour ago, Selred said:

I have my second jab 2 weeks before Swansea, and I'm 27. Imagine most of the players won't be double jabbed + 14 days until Sept/Oct?

One or two jabs is NOT a guarantee that a person will not catch Covid.

I just means that such person is likely to not require hospital treatment but can catch and transmit the virus.

1 minute ago, Steve Watts said:

Because last season players didn't have the addition of 20,000 people sat around you I guess.  I realise that someone at the back of the Lansdown upper doesn't pose a threat to the players, but there will be a potential impact from people milling around the players entrance and their cars etc.

I'm not expecting it, but I wouldn't be surprised to see clear screening installed around the dugouts.

I doubt players would catch it from the crowd, but they'll catch it from their everyday lives. While popping into a shop, off their girlfriend, from a family member, from another member of staff.

There has rarely been more SARS-CoV-2 virus circulating around the UK than there is now and it's a more infectious strain than the one that was about this time last year, and it is 40% more likely to cause a serious infection.

As has been mentioned, until they are all double-jabbed, expect a lot of cancelled matches.

12 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

They would if they test positive wouldn't they?

Thought the whole squad would have to isolate. But then remembered wasn't the case last year, ignore me.

4 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

One or two jabs is NOT a guarantee that a person will not catch Covid.

I just means that such person is likely to not require hospital treatment but can catch and transmit the virus.

It reduces the chances, but was more about having to self isolate. You don't have too after 2 jabs unless positive.

• Admin
1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

Because when we started that particular season new infections were running at 600 a day spread over the entire age range of the population. Now infections are at 50,000+ a day and disproportionately affect young adults and teens. The age most players are. 

I would guess it's more to do with changes in set up around clubs.

Numbers were higher last season though surely? 

23 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Rotherham say hello.

Forgot about them, one period where they couldn't play out of 92 teams

17 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

That's the thing.  The vaccines for covid were never to stop you getting it.  The theory is that it will reduce the symptoms if you do get it, and with reduces symptoms comes reduced transmission.....though 50k cases per day does seem to throw even that into doubt.

All valid points, but I find it odd how players on the whole weren't affected last season yet this season there seems to be problems 

I believe the FA now count playing and training not as close contact (think may be step 4 and below) If a player tests positive rest of team are ok to continue if showing no symptoms. Only if contacted by track and trace then team mates must self isolate. 

One rule for us and another for football again. FA are desperate for no more seasons to get abandoned.

FA Guidance here 

https://www.thefa.com/news/2021/jul/16/20210716-non-elite-football-update-step-4-government-covid-19-roadmap

43 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

32 minutes ago, ooRya said:

Exactly this.

As long as the NHS is OK they will just let it run it's course.

Seems logical & not really much else we can do?

What other options are there?

Country is skint & the purse of free money will need to close soon.

Without mentioning the team i have heard from a very good source, their U23's and academy training camp was cancelled on arrival due to a covid outbreak. 3 members broke their "elite bubble" to watch the Euro final and spread it through the entire squad.

11 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

He'll need to find a backbone to make a decision as unpopular as that again. 

3 games more like. He doesn't need a backbone when he can just lie mislead and say it was always a mistake and he has no memory of doing this.

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

They will just keep referring to the low number of hospitalisations and ignore all else.

Admissions rising fast & will soon cause problems for general hospitals with sheer numbers/affect upon elective procedure.

Good news is far fewer require ITU intervention..

3 hours ago, Super said:

Just the beginning.

Its scary how easily transmissible and hard to detect it is. I currently have it so am self isolating but I have no symptoms and only picked it up on a chance PCR test I did as I had it lying around. Lateral flow tests were negative so without that chance PCR I would be out spreading it like wildfire without realising it... Worrying.

36 minutes ago, Wiltshire robin said:

Might seem a stupid question but do people think we will go back into lockdown with death rates a lot lower than they was before and also with the vaccine applied to most ?

Hospitalisation is the only number that matters - the HNS can just about deal with 30k to 35k people at any one time normally and has some burst capacity with nightingale hospitals

The government won't ever let there be a scenario where people are dying on trolleys waiting to be seen because that's political suicide but the goal from day 1 was herd immunity with as few deaths as possible.

Its a shame that it's a political decision and not a save as many lives as possible decision but there are other considerations that need to be weighed up and the advantage of a democracy is a government doesn't have to be the benevolent gift giver when it's not in the whole countries best interests. 

Archived