IGNORED

Blackpool Covid

Gillies Downs Leeds

14 minutes ago, Pezo said:

Hospitalisation is the only number that matters - the HNS can just about deal with 30k to 35k people at any one time normally and has some burst capacity with nightingale hospitals

The government won't ever let there be a scenario where people are dying on trolleys waiting to be seen because that's political suicide but the goal from day 1 was herd immunity with as few deaths as possible.

Its a shame that it's a political decision and not a save as many lives as possible decision but there are other considerations that need to be weighed up and the advantage of a democracy is a government doesn't have to be the benevolent gift giver when it's not in the whole countries best interests. 

Thanks so I guess it’s inevitable that hospitalisations will sky rocket going into winter months 

5 hours ago, Selred said:

But players won't have to isolate after August 16th if double jabbed. 

Unless they get it. Both me and my Mrs have had 2 jabs and have caught it off my son after he got it at the Euros. No suprise really. 

I think more and more are likely to get it over the next couple of months. Given that the Astra vaccine is only 60 percent protective. That's the vaccine me and the Mrs had. Hopefully I will be wrong but the signs are not good for a full season of football in my opinion.

4 minutes ago, Wiltshire robin said:

Thanks so I guess it’s inevitable that hospitalisations will sky rocket going into winter months 

Well no one really knows but they must have some kind of expectation based on data models they have but there will be a large margin of error so they will continue collecting the data and likely changing there mind, it's basically test, learn adapt.

What the government really want is cases to lower before winter and then the HNS can deal with the flu but they have no idea how long this will go on for. 

8 minutes ago, richyy66 said:

Unless they get it. Both me and my Mrs have had 2 jabs and have caught it off my son after he got it at the Euros. No suprise really. 

I think more and more are likely to get it over the next couple of months. Given that the Astra vaccine is only 60 percent protective. That's the vaccine me and the Mrs had. Hopefully I will be wrong but the signs are not good for a full season of football in my opinion.

That's at least 60% effective at preventing it in people over 70. It still has a 92% chance of keeping you out of hospital even if you do get it, that's on top of the 99% chance you already had of not being hospitalised by it if you have no underlying health conditions. 

12 minutes ago, richyy66 said:

The matches getting played shouldn't be a problem, though inevitably there will be postponments along the way.

Whether fans will be able to go all season is another matter entirely and I certainly wouldn't be confident about that at the moment.

3 hours ago, phantom said:

I would guess it's more to do with changes in set up around clubs.

Numbers were higher last season though surely? 

Not at the start, Phants.

You'll recall how the first Spring lockdown was not only stricter than this year's one, but also better observed. I remember driving 25 miles to medical appointments and not seeing another car on the road. As a result, we got the infection numbers right down before opening up.

On August 7th 2020, the UK recorded 879 new infections. On 7th August this year, we may well be hitting the 100,000 new infections per day level.

With it all around, it's a lot harder for clubs to keep players in a nine-month bubble.

On 19/07/2021 at 14:37, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

Our opening day opponents Blackpool's friendly with Rangers cancelled due to Covid outbreak at Blackpool. 

I mentioned this to the boss at work as he's 'pool fan. "It'll all be cleared up by then. There's no way you're getting a 3-0 walkover win against us".

22 hours ago, Wiltshire robin said:

Well if the vaccine works as expected they won't will they, by then every adult that wants a vaccine will have had one I think you are getting carried away with all this BBC hype.

Depends how high infections rise. 1% of 100,000 cases hospitalized this year is the same as 10% of 10,000 last year, for example. 

Very simplistic figures but illustrates the point.

Without restrictions, case numbers could go ballistic in the next few weeks. 

1 hour ago, pillred said:

Well if the vaccine works as expected they won't will they, by then every adult that wants a vaccine will have had one I think you are getting carried away with all this BBC hype.

The BBC is simply reporting what No.10 is telling it. A mixture of on the record and off the record briefings. It's how politics and political journalism works.

Without reading through this again, it would appear that there are many people either frightened by the prospect of increasing numbers of Covid, or, preferring to say that there is a major increase in Covid cases, for whatever reason. I'd like to remind people, without meaning to sound supercilious that, this time last year we were testing a fraction of those being tested now, which is well over a million tests a day. The more you test the more cases you'll find, surprisingly. That's not to say that cases of this particular variant are not higher than before, as it is more virulent. 

My only concern is that there's enough people out there refusing to have a vaccine, for whatever reason and, because of that reluctance, the virus will keep circulating amongst them and back into those that have been fully vaccinated.

3 hours ago, chinapig said:

The BBC is simply reporting what No.10 is telling it. A mixture of on the record and off the record briefings. It's how politics and political journalism works.

Well if you think the BBC are not biased towards the  left wing of British politics I'm afraid we will have to agree to disagree.  

1 hour ago, Rich said:

Without reading through this again, it would appear that there are many people either frightened by the prospect of increasing numbers of Covid, or, preferring to say that there is a major increase in Covid cases, for whatever reason. I'd like to remind people, without meaning to sound supercilious that, this time last year we were testing a fraction of those being tested now, which is well over a million tests a day. The more you test the more cases you'll find, surprisingly. That's not to say that cases of this particular variant are not higher than before, as it is more virulent. 

My only concern is that there's enough people out there refusing to have a vaccine, for whatever reason and, because of that reluctance, the virus will keep circulating amongst them and back into those that have been fully vaccinated.

Funny how me and you can see that, hope those that can't don't pay the ultimate price, they can't say they weren't warned.

6 hours ago, pillred said:

Numbers of covid+ patients being admitted are rising rapidly...

Not courtesy of the BBC...

On 20/07/2021 at 00:40, BigTone said:

Optimistic I think. I give it a month if not sooner.

Its just gone pear shaped again here in South Oz Tone, back into a 7 day lockdown to be reviewed at the end of the week. If it takes off like NSW & VIC we could be in for a long haul.

On 19/07/2021 at 14:41, Red-Robbo said:

Be the first of many. 

It's sweeping through the younger population, with males aged 21-26 being the most likely to test positive. So many players are going to either fail a test or (in early August) be required to isolate due to "being in contact" with a case.

Running a much smaller squad may be a bit of a problem until this dies down...

Logic would be to keep u23 squads separate from main squads for now. Increase chance of one squad having enough players. An u23 fixture in lieu of could at least keep fixtures ticking over. Better than a backlog. Won't happen of course. 

9 hours ago, Son of Fred said:

Numbers of covid+ patients being admitted are rising rapidly...

Not courtesy of the BBC...

Yes but they won't keep rising will they, if they do then there is something seriously wrong unless the vaccines do nothing and everyone can get covid multiple times then it will run out of people to infect and at the rate it's going that will be soon, with covid passports now being touted for sports grounds as well just watch the young suddenly flock to get vaccinated then watch the numbers plummet I think there is far too much negativity on here mostly picked up from scare stories that mostly seem to come from the BBC or the Guardian.

11 hours ago, beaverface said:

Is that the modern day equivalent of a football club doing a tax fiddle I.e announce a crowd of 19,999, when there's clearly more fans than that in attendance ?

I remember those days. One match, post 1982, they announced the attendance at around 8K and the 15K or whatever it actually was in the ground just burst out laughing. All you had to do with the old turnstiles was disconnect the counting mechanism - if you did that to one in every 10 turnstiles you trouser a reasonable amount of cash that never saw the light of day at HMRC.

Then the barstewards at HMRC started flying helicopters over football grounds and taking photographs............... 

3 hours ago, bpexile said:

Its just gone pear shaped again here in South Oz Tone, back into a 7 day lockdown to be reviewed at the end of the week. If it takes off like NSW & VIC we could be in for a long haul.

My Nephew is away in his caravan in Streaky Bay and says he can't get back home to Adelaide because of the curfew. 

Other friends are in Alice Springs in their caravan and say they are returning home to Gawler on Friday. Not so sure about that one TBH.

All a bit confusing regarding what us happening. Looked at the SA Government website and it really clarifies zero.

My Dad wants to know if going to BWS on his gopher is classed as essential !!!

41 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I remember those days. One match, post 1982, they announced the attendance at around 8K and the 15K or whatever it actually was in the ground just burst out laughing. All you had to do with the old turnstiles was disconnect the counting mechanism - if you did that to one in every 10 turnstiles you trouser a reasonable amount of cash that never saw the light of day at HMRC.

Then the barstewards at HMRC started flying helicopters over football grounds and taking photographs............... 

That happened week in, week out. It was part of our matchday ritual to rubbish the official attendance figures

2 minutes ago, BigTone said:

My Nephew is away in his caravan in Streaky Bay and says he can't get back home to Adelaide because of the curfew. 

Other friends are in Alice Springs in their caravan and say they are returning home to Gawler on Friday. 

All a bit confusing regarding what us happening. Looked at the SA Government website and it really clarifies zero.

Good day Big Fella, Streaky bay I visited a couple of years ago and wow it was great. Bad news from SA a few hours ago the out break is spreading. I know you are aware of the hospital next to the Tea tree Plaza and there are major concerns on how it has spread from there.

Stage 5 lock down now for the whole of SA. 

image.jpeg.ea4c7031711520edd84c179b2bb21eee.jpeg

11 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Other friends are in Alice Springs in their caravan and say they are returning home to Gawler on Friday. Not so sure about that one TBH.

Hey big Tone. Dan Murphies will deliver grog for your dad. BWS are too expensive. Getting grog is classed as essential to me. Send me email if you need me to assist in getting some grog to your old man

53 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

But that turnstile trick was never used. Trust me. that's not to say the figures,weren't fiddled after.

I remember that game where everyone laughed well, because about 5 minutes after they came back with an 'updated attendance' which was closer, but still not close enough. Must have been around 1990.

6 minutes ago, City oz said:

Good day Big Fella, Streaky bay I visited a couple of years ago and wow it was great. Bad news from SA a few hours ago the out break is spreading. I know you are aware of the hospital next to the Tea tree Plaza and there are major concerns on how it has spread from there.

Stage 5 lock down now for the whole of SA. 

image.jpeg.ea4c7031711520edd84c179b2bb21eee.jpeg

Didn't know it spread from there. Just hope Pops stays safe along with the rest of my family. At least the lockdown has been introduced quickly.

Yes, Streaky Bay is great. Good fishing etc. My Nephew was due to ho on a Shark dive but all cancelled now.

2 minutes ago, City oz said:

Hey big Tone. Dan Murphies will deliver grog for your dad. BWS are too expensive. Getting grog is classed as essential to me. Send me email if you need me to assist in getting some grog to your old man

I have no doubt he will survive and his idea of low stock is circa 2 cases of Johnny Walker in his wardrobe.

9 hours ago, pillred said:

Yes but they won't keep rising will they, if they do then there is something seriously wrong unless the vaccines do nothing and everyone can get covid multiple times then it will run out of people to infect and at the rate it's going that will be soon, with covid passports now being touted for sports grounds as well just watch the young suddenly flock to get vaccinated then watch the numbers plummet I think there is far too much negativity on here mostly picked up from scare stories that mostly seem to come from the BBC or the Guardian.

The reality is that local hospitals are Facing unsustainable pressure right now.

Don't forget two jabs (or a passport ?) don't stop people from catching covid or requiring hospital intervention..what they are doing is keeping a higher proportion out of ITU and of course fewer deaths.

I myself caught covid at the peak of the first wave & although I'm fit & well there is now every chance of re-infection..with a completely different outcome possible.

So much has been learnt & still being learned.

Elective programs are already being scaled down with beds made available in preparation for what is to come - covid alert level is moving rapidly towards its highest marker ......

Everybody I'm sure quietly getting on with the job,,no scare stories,,no negativity & not a mention of the Guardian ?..

10 hours ago, BigTone said:

Hi Tone, there's a few grey areas in the lockdown isn't there. My son & family have flown up to Darwin for 10 days, were there 2 days & this happens. The borders of the Northern Territory & SA are still open but could change anytime according to new cases etc.

It's all a very different world we live in now mate isn't it mate ?

Take care & stay safe Tone ?

Archived